New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: For the same price and spec, would you buy a;

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • used branded laptop (sony, toshiba, HP, acer...)

19 55.88%
  • brand new generic laptop (ECS, NEO, MSI...)

15 44.12%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    afaik, at 30-40k, you can get a brand new compaq or acer. medyo low end nga lang yung specs.

if you would want a higher spec'ed unit, ok na din yung neo na mid-specs.
    just get a brand new unit. mahirap magsugal sa second hand unit dahil baka maproblema ka lang dyan...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    only brand new for me. i also prefer branded.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by br733 View Post
    What do you guys think with my budget of P30-P40k, should i get a brand new NEO or a used but in good condition HP?
    Some Lenovo notebooks cost less than P40k.

If you're not the techie type, I suggest branded ones. Less problematic kasi in terms of support, and software updates.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    for me, ill choose the brand new one. As long as it gives me the specs and the results that I need, having a well known brand name doesn't matter to me.

If I will have that budget, I know there are some branded laptop within that budget although not that hi-tech as we expect. But they are good enough to provide us basic needs.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    i guess i will go for the new one,, second hand laptop may give you future pain in the head,,, its ok even if its not branded as long as it is an intel base or amd base laptop,

if you buy a second hand one then you must consider if it can coup up to the programs nowaday and if it can be upgraded,,

much better if you buy brand new branded,, just to canvas on lenovo product their cheaper and your budget is enough for that,,

i think that there are lenovo laptop that is ranging from 30-40k

late we just canvas on lenovo laptops,, we just buy a new x61 lenovo for our president its way costly but she wants so we buy it

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I'll get a brand new one. The second hand one doesn't have warranty at all. Try looking for an ASUS A8HE or A8FM. Afaik, ASUS has 2 years warranty on their notebooks.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Just want to share a bit of experience with you guys.

I bought two laptops last year, a NEO Cobalt and an Asus AJ series. I paid 80k for the Asus (because I stuffed in a larger harddisk and doubled the memory to 2gb). The NEO Cobalt I got for only 26k (stock).

You may be thinking that the Asus is better and more durable huh? Dead wrong

I use both on the same conditions but then surprisingly the Asus AJ was beginning to break! The plastics that the hinges are screwed to were breaking off like biscuits. I wouldn't really say that I don't take care of an 80k peso investment because that developed during regular opening and closing of the LCD lid only.

CRAP!

Worst of all, It's been more than a month now since I brought it in to Asus for repair since it's still under warranty. They said that they still have to get the replacement casing for it.

CRAP AGAIN!

Now the NEO Cobalt is a real tough sucker. Not only does it open and shut perfectly like the doors of a Benz but it is performing flawlessly. What really gets to me too is the fact that the NEO has a better, clearer webcam than the freaking Asus!

Seriously, if Asus can't return my unit in the next 15 days I might just ask for a refund.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    * memphis,

Mine did too! I guess I will have it serviced after I have done my thesis. Baka di masoli in time!

What I like about my A8Fm is that it did survive running cpu intensive simulations for my thesis and my other projects. I never had any overheating or hardware issues with it, so that's why I am recommending it.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    * memphis,

Mine did too! I guess I will have it serviced after I have done my thesis. Baka di masoli in time!

What I like about my A8Fm is that it did survive running cpu intensive simulations for my thesis and my other projects. I never had any overheating or hardware issues with it, so that's why I am recommending it.
    Ah yes, my Asus was definitely cooler than the NEO even when I was burning a few dozen Dvd's on it in just one session and of course during my marathon log-ins here sa Tsikot

Paayos mo na hinges mo hehehe.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i think the hinges on Asus A8 series laptops are a known issue... i think there's a thread about that in a known gadget forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Laptops: Branded or Not?