New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    dude get a 15 inch powerbook It's awesome. 'Use it everytime I take a dump. hehe. seriously, ok sya. tapos bili ka ng Wifi g router para kahit san ka magsurf.

OT: DAmn those Mac stores in the Pinas. TAGA talaga. basta tinataga lahat ng Mac users dto sa Pinas (I'm a half-breed cause I use a Pc for the games). Imagine, pagbumili ka ng Memory, tatanungin ka kung para san, Pag sinabi mo sa Mac, MAS MAHAL! the very exact mem chip ha! ganun ka kupal yung mga nagtitinda. Buti nalang may internet na mapagtatanungan.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    i'm thinking of laptop bec i'm gonna carry it everywhere, like on site, office, restaurant, etc. pag ung mga mini barebone pde ba carry around nd d b masisira un at pano ung power supply nd pano ung lcd monitor e mabigat un dba. practical b kung mini pc ang bilhin? unang plan ko e to buy shuttle xpc nga kasi space ko sa bahay maliit lng but problem e ngayon i hav to hav a computer that i can bring along to where i will go kasi nga dahil sa aking part-time work i nid to maximize all my time. hhmmm. big problem, can't decide.

mac ok sa graphics kaso the price is too much nd mahihirapan ako mag transfer ng files to pc.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Hello Liz... if limited budget mo pero meron kang BPI or CITIBANK or HSBC na credit cards.. pwede mong gamitin isa dito para sa 1 year 0% plan...

at least pag 100K... nasa 10K a month lang siya.. kesa 1x na 60K, anyway 0% interest yun. magandang laptop pa mabibili mo suggestion lang naman hehe

we are also looking for a notebook or tablet eh.. mobile surfing lang actually ang pagagamitan...

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    A TABLET PC is definitely OUT OF THE QUESTION. Do yourself a favor and buy a laptop instead.

You said you will use it for PHOTOSHOP editing.

What kind of graphics editing will you be doing? Casual editing or professional editing? If it is professional editing, the monitor will become important because monitors show more vibrant and more photorealistic colors than LCD screens (which means a desktop PC is better than a laptop for that purpose). And besides, desktop PCs are more powerful in doing graphics compared to any laptops at the price of P60k.

But then, I see from your reply that "mobility" and "space" are important to you. So this means, you have no other choice but to buy a laptop. Now what kind of laptop?

If you are doing graphics work and connect to the internet using dial-up, then CENTRINO will not make sense to you. CENTRINO doesn't have anything to do with graphics or dial-ups. But because most high-end Intel laptops today are bundled with CENTRINO, it comes with the package. The point is, don't mind the word "CENTRINO" on the laptop that you will buy.

Graphics editing will demand 2 things: huge processing power and large memory. Buy any laptop with Intel Inside sticker with processor speed of atleast 2 Gigahertz. Then window-shop for models with high RAM MEMORY and HARDISK SIZE that will fit to your budget.

Check out the ASUS models.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Here's my take, first and foremost it should be portable. Therefore others shouldn't suggest desktop parts :D. In my point of view get a laptop since you don't really need a tablet. Tablets are for Doctors and people who need to scribble down notes, which you don't really need.

If I were you I would have two options: Get those Taiwan/China portables like Qnote or ECS, they're fine but not as sturdy as the mainstream laptops. Or get an ibook. Powerbooks are just to pricy the new ones now can reach 100k depending on the specs. Stick with an ibook just splurge on the ram. I saw a brand new ibook 12" selling fr 52k. Would've gotten it if I didn't need windows. Don't worry about the OS you'll learn to love it. Then you would forget about all the problems Windows has and be a mac lover like many other switchers. The processing power is more than enough for photoshop, just tweak the ram. But if you plan to edit videos, I am not sure how well that will go.

Check http://philmug.ph (just check the selling section), also look at cooltoyz laptops and more in ash creek- found my portable here compaq v2000 (in front of xavier school) and pc corner in gilmore. They have tons of portables to choose from. BTW, check http://tipidpc.com also for deals...

Happy hunting
    Last edited by nmtin; June 1st, 2005 at 02:06 AM. Reason: grammar

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    does asus laptops a good buy? taiwan made e2 ryt?

what's the difference between ibook and powerbook? sa mga mac users, d b kayo nahihirapan mag transfer ng files papunta sa pc?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    notebook ka na. medyo duda pa ako sa durability ng tablets since they're relatively new.

btw, what sort of input devices do you expect to use? mouse lang ba, of pen-type devices?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm a mac/wintel/linux/novell user... wintel/linux/novell at work wintel/mac at home...
    imho... transferring files between the two systems is so easy. Adobe files are compatible on both systems. I work in a company that has a lot of graphic designers, they all use Macs. The managers and other departments are on PC's. When they have to view Photoshop/Illustrator files from the designers, they just e-mail it or transfer it on the network and they're good to go. No hassle or anything. And as to the price / performance ratio (most especially in the graphic design), you can get a better deal on getting a mac than a pc.

the ibook is a lower end range for laptops on the mac. (i.e. max ram of 1.2 gb compared to the 2gb for the powerbook, slower speed, lower bus, lower vid card, etc.). for more info check out http://www.appleclub.com.hk/ go to the store section and you'll see all the specs.

for your needs though, an ibook with maxed out ram would probably suffice. and it's a lot cheaper to get it here in HK, no tax. unlike in manila there's VAT.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Forget about the MAC.

And the notion that MACs are better in graphics compared with PCs, is a farce.

Many artists in Dreamworks and Industrial Light and Magic use Intel systems to do their artwork and animation. And you can get much lower prices on Intel computers because there are many competitors out there who use Intel, therefore pricing competition will be good for you. Compared to MACs, they dictate the price and you have no choices if you get stuck with a MAC.

ASUS is not a top-of-the-line brand, but can well suit your needs given your budget.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    If you can find a top of the line Intel based laptop for less than 60k go for it... But I think you won't find one. The asus latops go for about 70k already. What more Dell, Toshiba, IBM or HP-Compaq??? The mac ibook is already comparable to a low level centrino, on the processing power and this is will suffice for graphics work. As I said before just max out the ram. Check philmug.ph for more information and contact longbeard for the 52k ibook g4...

I am not a mac user but I have seen it in action since I am a CS grad. I am just left in awe with the stability and usability of the OS (OS X-tiger). Imagine not shutting down ur computer for over a month. That is unheard of in the land of Windows.

If dreamworks uses Intel based computers- i am guessing these are desktops anyway. Well if you think about it, Pixar uses macs for animation also... but both use Linux for their rendering.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
laptop or tablet?