New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    is it safe to use a laptop w/o battery? i'll just connect it to the power outlet?

the laptop is just being used here at home, and hardly taken out.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post
    is it safe to use a laptop w/o battery? i'll just connect it to the power outlet?

yeah as per vendors advice it is definitely useful to use your laptop w/o battery... this is because if you use the laptop with battery it will automatically charge it, once such is fully charge you cannot pull it out from the laptop while it is running and eventually your battery will be over charged. so better use your laptop without battery to prolong your batteries life. it is useful for emergency purposes only so better take care of your OEM battery. hehehehe

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    JUST make sure that the power cord is plugged in to a UPS so you can still power down your laptop safely if a power outage strikes.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ^^+111

Commercial power is notorious for fluctuation and voltage sag that can surely damage your HDD.

You can leave your charger and batteries connected indefinitely without damaging batteries because modern electronics have tickle/float-charge mechanism. Its a myth nowdays that batteries overcharge.

Truth is, repeated discharge and charge cycle and reaching full discharge state wears battery faster, than leaving your batteries connected to AC.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    All laptops have circuitry built-in to prevent overcharging. It's actually the heat generated by the laptop that's responsible in reducing the life of the battery.

If your laptop is used inside an airconditioned room or if you're using a proper laptop cooling pad, you can leave the battery inserted. This will help prevent data loss in case of a power failure.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    calibrate yung battery also from time to time, this is available on the bios option, to optimize battery performance in the long run.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post

It is safe to use the laptop/notebook PC without the battery attached if you just always use it connected to the AC outlet.

You can use a UPS to give your laptop the same power protection as having its battery still attached.

A UPS is much cheaper (you can buy one just over P1k in price) than a replacement battery for your laptop. Typically a six-cell laptop battery would cost P5K and up.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    It is safe to use the laptop/notebook PC without the battery attached if you just always use it connected to the AC outlet.

You can use a UPS to give your laptop the same power protection as having its battery still attached.

A UPS is much cheaper (you can buy one just over P1k in price) than a replacement battery for your laptop. Typically a six-cell laptop battery would cost P5K and up.

thank you for the replies po!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    ^^+111

Commercial power is notorious for fluctuation and voltage sag that can surely damage your HDD.

You can leave your charger and batteries connected indefinitely without damaging batteries because modern electronics have tickle/float-charge mechanism. Its a myth nowdays that batteries overcharge.

Truth is, repeated discharge and charge cycle and reaching full discharge state wears battery faster, than leaving your batteries connected to AC.
    This statement might be true but I will not trust.
    The battery of my 6-mos old brand new acquired acer was damaged after 2-mos all time plugged on ac power with battery connected (was used for ******* files download/seed days and nites, 24/7). I learned my lesson so now I remove the battery if use at home using ac power connection. I use the battery twice a week just to fully discharge then recharge to keep it at top condition.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    where can i buy ups na less than 2k?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
laptop power question