New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is there any way to restrict Internet access for users with limited accounts on a computer running Windows XP?

My kids already know how to turn on our DSL modem, and we are having trouble monitoring whether they are doing their school work or playing games on the web. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Maybe you can change your DSL password (if your ISP uses PPPoE/PPPoA, which is likely) to something they don't know and avoid checking the "Remember Password" box.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nope, sorry. My ISP (Digitel) doesn't use passwords. All I have to do is turn the modem on and I'm connected.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Pwedeng password protected gawin mo activate mo pag tapos ka ng gumamit.

Tong internet namin yung naka-allow lang ang mabubuksan mo.
    Last edited by Syuryuken; December 2nd, 2006 at 09:29 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    I'm not familiar with any programs that restrict Internet access, maybe you can try searching the 'Net for those? Other than that, you can always nick the phone cord whenever you're not around (no stopping the kids from having their own phonecord though).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    ... Other than that, you can always nick the phone cord whenever you're not around (no stopping the kids from having their own phonecord though).
    Yeah, I've thought about that, but I'm afraid it will eventually wear out the contacts of the phone jack. Oh well, as long as it works, why not

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    open up internet explorer.

go to tools > internet options > CONTENT

go to general > put a check mark on supervisor can type password to allow users to view restricted content

>CREATE SUPERVISOR PASSWORD.

then choose ENABLE.... Set your own password na hindi malalaman ng mga kiddo...

Everytime na magcoconnect yun sa internet hihingi na yun ng password...

HTH
    Last edited by karlbo; December 2nd, 2006 at 09:34 PM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    u may need a parental control software. check with the site of pc mag and pc world. our kid is yet a baby so i have not tinkered with this type of software yet.

i am currently using a norton intersecurity (nis) 2005 version. it is a suite, and it has a parental control bundled with it.

there are other software with parental control bundled with it or as stand-alone parental control software.

u may try nis 2005 (and experiment with it). a licensed version is a bit expensive. a hacked software will just cost you around one hundred petot. (using pirated software is not good. do so at your discretion. he he he) learning how to install and configure it (like any other software) is priceless. he he he

a configured/activated parental control software will serve as a log-in portal for the users of the same computer. each user will have his/her own account to established by the administrator (the father/mother). a particular user may be barred from going into certain sites. i am not quite sure if it can be configured to limit the duration of the use of the internet.

words of caution with norton nis or any norton related software:
    1. you must have some technical knowledge. otherwise, somebody must walk you through it.
    2. save your data in a separate drive or disk, not where your operating system is launched (normally drive c. security suites, norton nis in particular, will f**k-*p your sysem if you f**k-*p with it.
    3. before installing norton (or any security software), make an image of your system drive (drive c and save the image to the data drive so that you can revert back to the condition that was trouble-free with ease using the saved image. you may use norton ghost 2003 (bootable from fdd) or norton ghost 10 bootable from cd. (norton ghost 10 is user-friendly but norton ghost 2003 bootable fd is very handy.)
    4. be careful with norton nis 2006 if you have slower system. it is a hogger (will eat some much of your ram, thus slowing you system). no problem if you have a dual core processor or core duo 2 with ram of 512mb or above.
    5. if you you have a slower system, use nis 2004.

good luck!

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Or... just go to the CONNECT TO (aka NETWORK CONNECTIONS) window, right-click the connection used to access the internet, and click DISABLE. That's a quick fix. Don't have to worry about losing contacts of your phone jack and ads or spyware included in programs you may download on the net.

EDIT: AND, on a sidenote, if you want to use the internet again, just click ENABLE after disabling the connection.
    Last edited by batang_raon14; December 3rd, 2006 at 04:50 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    if see it correctly, you can use the utility bundled with your modem router. it's called the setup page of the router. there should be a portion wherein you limit accessibility, i.e. from 8am to 9am only, etc. see help file or user's manual bundled with your modem-router.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you restrict Internet access on Windows XP?