New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Already brought home the hardware from PC Hub. I'll be using an AMD Sempron 140 LE (AM3) with an Asrock MB. I want a relatively power-efficient system that runs cool. The 2TB drive for use here is still in my main PC. Need to pull that out later.

AMD Sempron 140LE processor and 2GB DDR3 memory installed. (See the six SATA ports? Sweeet!)

Taking shape...

I'll start with the software installation (WHSv2 "Vail") tonight as soon as I've installed the 2TB drive. I'll probably purchase a 2nd 2TB drive within the next few days. Since WHSv2 is still Beta, I will only use this for my own desktop and laptops initially.

Will check back later.
    Last edited by oj88; October 21st, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Ok, the reason I asked is that I'm curious as to what you guys are doing. The number of computers in our home is increasing to a point that using an external HDD as backup is most likely impractical. And being the only IT guy in the family, I'm the go-to guy for any computer-related problems. So it's just natural that I think up creative ways on how to make my life a bit easier. First on the list for me is to automate backups among all computers at home.

To put things into perspective, we have a total of 3 desktops and 7 laptops. (Don't ask... big family).

Just to share, I've been considering the MS Windows Home Server (WHS) platform for a while and it seems to address my needs. Particularly of interest to me is the drive extender; You just keep adding HDDs and WHS will automatically add it to the storage pool and present it to the user as one logical storage unit. So I can buy a motherboard with six SATA ports which could potentially yield 12TB of available storage (2TB x 6). That will take care of scalability for the next several years.

WHS v1 is based on Win2k3, which is needless to say, a bit outdated. WHS v2 (Code name "Vail") however, is still on public beta. Nevertheless, I'm downloading it right now . Gonna buy the hardware maybe tomorrow and put in 1 or 2 2TB HDDs as a start. You think it might be a good idea to use "Green" drives? I am planning to leave this server running 24x7.

I'll keep you guys posted on this build.
    grabeh sino ba pamilya mo the jetsons

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyeatworld View Post
    grabeh sino ba pamilya mo the jetsons
    Kulang pa pala... I forgot the HTPC running Windows Media Center in the living room.

Ganun talaga.... ever since nagkaroon ng sub-20k na netbook, nagbilihan na sila.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Maganda rin na may offsite na backup. Mahirap ng mawala ang mga important documents and mga pictures and videos...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Javoy View Post
    Maganda rin na may offsite na backup. Mahirap ng mawala ang mga important documents and mga pictures and videos...
    Doing a back-up off-site to a server that you don't physically have access to does have problems.

For one, if the service closes up, so goes your documents, pictures and videos.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Doing a back-up off-site to a server that you don't physically have access to does have problems.

For one, if the service closes up, so goes your documents, pictures and videos.
    That's true, and I was contemplating if I should subscribe to carbonite. Might be better to just do a regular back-up to external disk and store this someplace else like a relative's house or SDB.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    1 desktop, three toshiba laptop, 1 router, 1 printer, 1 scanner. 3 users. individual 500gb hdd for back up

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Only one laptop at home.

and...... a terra seagate portable hd (white thing for macs and pcs) with ps, a 500 gb seagate portable (usb powered), a WD NAS with 4 terrabyte HD thing.....lots of misplaced USBs from 1gb to 8gb...

if you consider a ps3 a kind of pc, which i would, then that makes 2.

backup? i load all important files in my office.....which has a datacenter and a co-location site.... kahit lindol, bagyo at coup pa save pa rin data ko!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    2TB HDD installed

WHSv2 "Vail" installation running. Win2k8

Several reboots later, it's still at it

The Dashboard

Still a work in progress. It's backing up my main desktop now.
    Last edited by oj88; October 21st, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sir OJ, is that a WD Green drive? How's the performance?

Are you using a gigabit router?

Have you considered WD Sharespace?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Home computers and backup