New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is there a performance difference if I plug my display to the DVI or VGA post of a video card if both are available?

(The display I currently have has both DVI and VGA input ports available. I only lack the proper DVI cable to be able to test for myself.)

I currently have a NVidia Geforce FX5200 video card. Kinda old but still okay. I am wondering if I plug my display to the DVI port, would I have any performance increase in relation to video output (movies, etc) from my PC?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    no performance sa experience ko. notice ko lang sa LCD monitor, mas bright yung DVI. but difference is minimal.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    There's quite a debate on that on tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/52864-3-tomshardware

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Honestly, I have never noticed any difference between DVI and VGA.

I even use VGA for the bravia when viewing High Definition content from computers. Stunning as ever esp my favorite National Geographic and Discovery Channel docus.

But, I always try to use what is newest and most convenient for the sake of curiosity since there's always a reason why newer technologies are invented and released to the public like nowadays, there's HDMI (which is actually just DVI stuffed with SPDIF in one cable) and DisplayPort.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I choose DVI for two reasons:

1. Lossless and uncompressed since there's no need for DAC
    2. DVI uses digital signals all the way to the LCD monitor. Digital signaling is multiples more impervious to electrical interference than analog.

Theoretically, DVI should provide better clarity than VGA. However in most cases, you won't see much difference in quality between the two. But now that the technology is already there, use it whenever you can.
    Last edited by oj88; June 30th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I choose DVI for two reasons:

1. Lossless and uncompressed since there's no need for DAC
    2. DVI uses digital signals all the way to the LCD monitor. Digital signaling is multiples more impervious to electrical interference than analog.

Theoretically, DVI should provide better clarity than VGA. However in most cases, you won't see much difference in quality between the two. But now that the technology is already there, use it whenever you can.
    In my case, I want to see if there would be any performance gain, especially when displaying video (movies) is just below marginal to becoming smooth/in-sync.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I've conducted a side-by-side comparo with my Palit 9800GT on two LG W2353V-PFs where in one is connected via DVI and with VGA on the other.

Granted, I'm no digital visual arts expert but I experienced neither a performance lag nor a boost between DVI and VGA on a side-by-side comparison in games (I used Mass Effect and Fallout 3 for their in-game cinematics) and in movies/video clips (low-res .flv boxing clips straight from youtube and their .mkv counterparts).

That said, I noticed a little bit of "softening" of images with VGA, they seemed to be duller in comparison to the DVI.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    W2353V, nice monitors revenant! :D

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I read in the PC World Phils. mag that the DVI port is provided to reduce the effort of the monitor in converting analog signals from the video adapter to the monitor since DVI signals are already digital. PC World also mentioned that DVI is only useful on older monitors since those kinds are the ones having a harder time converting analog (VGA) signals to digital. So if you're using a modern monitor, there's no problem in using the VGA port. My AOC LCD has a VGA connector, and it's working just fine.

EDIT:
    This weird discussion at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/52864-3-tomshardware reported that DVI limits refresh rate to 60Hz when VGA goes up to 75Hz. I think there won't be improvement when changing the refresh rate though.
    Last edited by roberto_minosa; July 1st, 2009 at 09:30 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I can't tell any difference between the two whether using a 19" LCD monitor or a 32" 720P LCD tv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
DVI or VGA?