New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    I read in the PC World Phils. mag that the DVI port is provided to reduce the effort of the monitor in converting analog signals from the video adapter to the monitor since DVI signals are already digital.
    Sorry, bro, but that's not true. Let me post an excerpt from http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html :

WHAT ARE THE DVI FORMATS ?
    There are three types of DVI connections: DVI-Digital, DVI-Analog, and DVI-Integrated (Digital & Analog) DVI-D - True Digital Video
    DVI-D cables are used for direct digital connections between source video (namely, video cards) and digital LCD (or rare CRT) monitors. This provides a faster, higher-quality image than with analog, due to the nature of the digital format. All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the VGA output. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital signal. DVI-D eliminates the analog conversion process and improves the connection between source and display.
    DVI-A - High-Res Analog
    DVI-A cables are used to carry a DVI signal to an analog display, such as a CRT monitor or budget LCD. The most common use of DVI-A is connecting to a VGA device, since DVI-A and VGA carry the same signal. There is some quality loss involved in the digital to analog conversion, which is why a digital signal is recommended whenever possible.
    DVI-I - The Best of Both Worlds
    DVI-I cables are integrated cables which are capable of transmitting either a digital-to-digital signal or an analog-to-analog signal. This makes it a more versatile cable, being usable in either digital or analog situations.
    Like any other format, DVI digital and analog formats are non-interchangeable. This means that a DVI-D cable will not work on an analog system, nor a DVI-A on a digital system. To connect an analog source to a digital display, you'll need a VGA to DVI-D electronic convertor; to connect a digital output to an analog monitor, you'll need to use a DVI-D to VGA convertor.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Sorry, bro, but that's not true. Let me post an excerpt from http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html :
    Nope, you misinterpreted it. The topic is about using the digital portion of DVI, not the analog portion. Also, DVI-A is considered VGA by function and capabilities. It's just called that way since it uses the DVI connector specifications as its interface. Most, if not all current video cards are natively DVI-I (both analog and digital signals are present). It's the cables (or its pinouts specifically) that will finally determine if it's going to tap into the analog or digital portion of the video card pins.

DVI per se, simply defines the specifications necessary to transmit digital signals to a digital display. DVI-A is just one sub of this standard that allows people to connect to the analog pins for use with legacy VGA devices. Check out the pin outs and you'll see that there are dedicated VGA (analog) pins. Said pins will only work if you plug in an appropriate cable or adapter (ie. DVI to VGA adapters). Refer to http://cableorganizer.com/articles/d...or-pinout.html Pins C1-C5 carries the analog portion of the signals.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Nope, I definitely didn't misinterpret the statement made by PCW Phils (referred to by roberto_minosa): "... DVI signals are already digital."

FWIW, I wasn't addressing the topic on this thread, ONLY that phrase. Because some readers might not be able to follow the discussion and when they read that phrase, they might get the wrong idea. That was my only concern -- to avoid potential misinformation.

Peace, bro.
    Last edited by woohoo; July 2nd, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
DVI or VGA?