New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have 2 internet accounts in the house (SmartBro & PLDT MyDSL), and i've been thinking of using a Dual WAN router so i can utilize both accounts at the same time.

i just have a few questions:
    1. will the Dual WAN router use the bandwidths of the 2 internet accounts at the same time? or will it only use the other account if the primary account is disconnected?

2. the PLDT DSL have a speed of 768kbps and SmartBro's is 384kbps. if i use Dual WAN, does this mean my internet speed will be 1mbps?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    personally I like the Linksys RV042 router though wired sya... you just need an access point to gain wireless connectivity.. Meron din Dlink though hindi pako nakapag install ng Dlink...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OK lang sa akin ang wired, meron naman na kasi akong wireless router. ang gusto ko lang malaman is the 2 questions i've posted above.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sir Boybi,

Just out of curiosity, why do you have 2 internet accounts? Isn't it just paying twice for the same service?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i was supposed to terminate my smartbro account when i applied for pldt dsl. but my connection with pldt dsl was so unstable - always disconnected every few minutes, that i decided to just keep my smartbro account. i can't terminate my pldt dsl since i'm locked in for 1 year.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    1. will the Dual WAN router use the bandwidths of the 2 internet accounts at the same time? or will it only use the other account if the primary account is disconnected?
    It can. You can change the parameters in the program within the router how your connection behaves. You can use both 100% at the same time. You can set parameters wherein if connection speed is 50% below capacity the other ones will go online. But the dafult set-up is they are on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    2. the PLDT DSL have a speed of 768kbps and SmartBro's is 384kbps. if i use Dual WAN, does this mean my internet speed will be 1mbps?
    Assuming PLDT & Smart are honest, yes you have 1Mbps bandwidth... but at best its only 60-80%.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks mikmik.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Found this while surfing http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=13103 Its an old review of an Edimax dual wan router. Don't know if its the info you are looking for but hope it helps.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i saw that article before. thanks.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ok ah! may load balancing na pala mga SOHO routers..?.. kung meron pwede. di naman po magiging 1Mbps.. it may seem lang po that you have a 1Mbps connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dual WAN routers