New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kai s. View Post
    What is the best laptop I can buy for 25k?

I don't need a lot of processing power, since it'll be used mainly for MS office, maybe a little Netflix, browsing, etc when I'm out of the house. Portability is a priority--I just want something compact, not too heavy, with good battery life.
    Surface GO... just buy a cheap BT keyboard.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    It also has an SSD and IMHO everyone should be using an SSD for a primary drive. The bootup speed and reaction times are worth the price.
    I agree. I usually partition the primary C: to 120GB where the OS and applications reside. It's easier nuking it if it gets infected and recovering from a backup.

Might as well turn this into an SSD as primary C: and access files from an external source.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BennieRush View Post
    You all guys have serious machines here. My laptop is not so powerful. I bought it for my studying. I am student and my needs are a little bit different. I searched a laptop for studying. In process of searching I found a very useful article about laptops for online college classes. Really helped me to choose Dell Inspiron 5000. Great model for the thing I occupy now.
    bot

10thgen intels look promising...

comet lake name is kinda cool..

the deals on the 9th gens ...hmmm

4. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Got a question for those who have had experience fixing mobos.

I have an old socket AM3 with 2 bloated caps. What are the chances na magiging ok na ulit ang takbo ng mobo after replacement ng caps? May dapat pa bang i-trace sa ibang components?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    ^
    More likely give it a year or two.
    Nakabili ako dati ng repaired mobo nung time na di ko pa alam masyado yang mga bagay bagay na yan (socket a days).
    Nalaman ko lang na di original cap yun kasi iba tatak compared to the rest.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    ^
    More likely give it a year or two.
    Nakabili ako dati ng repaired mobo nung time na di ko pa alam masyado yang mga bagay bagay na yan (socket a days).
    Nalaman ko lang na di original cap yun kasi iba tatak compared to the rest.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

get quality caps from RS Components

7. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Ok. I'll just replace the caps and observe. I forgot all about RS components. Overseas via Shopee pa tuloy ako umorder.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Got a question for those who have had experience fixing mobos.

I have an old socket AM3 with 2 bloated caps. What are the chances na magiging ok na ulit ang takbo ng mobo after replacement ng caps? May dapat pa bang i-trace sa ibang components?

It's very likely that it will still work after replacing the caps. But you can never be 100% sure of the outcome until you've replaced them and powered it back up again.

Back when our company still repaired system boards at a component level, our success rate for capacitor replacements is about 9/10. We're talking about in excess of 500 system boards repaired with less than 50 that had other issues and didn't made it.

I also have an AM3 (ASRock M3A785GM-LE) board paired to an Athlon II X4 630. 10 years old and it's still chugging along. This used to be my 24x7 Plex server for 7 or 8 years until I moved it to an Intel i5.

I don't get to use it much as it now sits as my workbench general purpose PC. I slapped in an SSD and a cheap video card and it still runs Windows 10 acceptably. Besides the fact that it makes a ton of racket with the original HSF, it pulls so much electricity that Meralco writes me a nice thank you letter every year (ok, that was an exaggeration). Still, I intend to run this to the ground. Sayang naman kasi eh.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Thanks oj. Now I'm a little more hopeful. I had the mobo, HSF, and procie all cleaned up. All I'm waiting for are the replacement caps.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Replacement of the bloated caps was a success. I actually did a very sloppy job at desoldering the old caps as I tried to make do with a 30W iron (coupled with 2 decades of non-practice). Finally got a Creston 60W from Ace HW to get the job done. Buti na lang hindi nasira ang trace sa board.

PC seems to be rock stable. I also managed to grab 2 4GB DDR2 sticks for around 700 'cause I previously suspected my blue screen woes were because of the old RAM sticks having gone bad. Hindi nga lang mag-boot when I try to mix it with my old 2GB sticks.

Now I'm seriously considering getting a Phenom II X3 or X4 chip to replace the single-core Sempron (unlockable cores, I tried).

Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast