New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    help peeps...we're finally moving to a new home and would set up my internet tomorrow (so i need help asap.herherhehr)

the house has a main floor, 3 bedrooms and a big basement...

so what wireless router do i need? i need something basic that can go through drywalls with ease....

do i need a range expander(?) or booster?

wireless G? wireless N? do i need them?

im looking at second hand items in craigslist.org but im willing to cinsider brand new ones too (limited budget)..herhehrer

thanks!

EDIT: my laptop's specs says....802.11 a/b/g ...so does it mean i cant use an N?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    we're using Linksys router-G(forgot the model) d2 sa house ng sis-in-law ko sa CA, although 1 floor lang bahay nila, tumatagos nman sa walls, excellent ang connection kahit mejo malayo na at may harang na pader, kahit nakaupo sa banyo :D

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    +1 on the linksys, ok din netgear. You can use N but it will be limited to G speeds (54mbps).

Ask ko din, what wireless router can I use to pass through cement walls? House is mainly cement, buhos. I'm currently using an ediman wireless g router. Signal can't reach the 2nd floor. My room is right on top of the router and I still can't get a signal. Will a N help?

May nakagamit na ba ng Coregora? Its half the price of other N routers and made in Japan daw.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Glenn you could get a Wireless N router and in order to fully maximize it, you'd need to get a PCMCIA or USB N WiFi card. Sulit talaga siya. You get faster speeds on the network (note, network not internet) and a farther range as compared to a G or lower WiFi Router.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    get the N para pag nag-video streaming ka na ng movies mas mabilis

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    $linksys++;

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Linksys ang gamit nami sa office.

:toma: 2945
    Last edited by j_avonni; May 26th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    unless you plan on upgrading to wireless n receivers anytime soon, a wireless g router would be the best bang for the buck. and the wireless gods are drafting another revision to the recently standardized n anyway.

check out linksys wrt54gL. it's linux based kaya maraming 3rd party firmware available to enhance the router's capabilities. been using one for almost 2 years problem free. good signal strength even through floors and walls over a 200sqm area. just set the router on the approx. center of the house and you're all set.

make sure you get the gl model and not the plain g or the gc. the g has horrible reviews (see tomshardware, etc.) and the gc is best used on small areas such as dorm or condo units.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Signal can't reach the 2nd floor. My room is right on top of the router and I still can't get a signal. Will a N help?
    O.T. can you try relocating the router upstairs? i had better signal strength throughout the house when we transferred our router from the ground floor to the 2nd floor.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by metatron View Post
    unless you plan on upgrading to wireless n receivers anytime soon, a wireless g router would be the best bang for the buck. and the wireless gods are drafting another revision to the recently standardized n anyway.

check out linksys wrt54gL. it's linux based kaya maraming 3rd party firmware available to enhance the router's capabilities. been using one for almost 2 years problem free. good signal strength even through floors and walls over a 200sqm area. just set the router on the approx. center of the house and you're all set.

make sure you get the gl model and not the plain g or the gc. the g has horrible reviews (see tomshardware, etc.) and the gc is best used on small areas such as dorm or condo units.
    Exactly. I highly recommend the WRT54GL, with dd-wrt installed on it. If the signal is strong enough (highly unlikely), you can buy an a bigger antenna, or buy a cheap WRT54G to extend the signal. Most likely, however, you won't have to do more than buy that first router.

Don't waste your money on N.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
buying a WIRELESS ROUTER