New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Just wanna hear your opinions; i'm wrestling between two upgrade strategies. To put things into proper perspective:

- i don't travel much;
    - i don't lug a laptop around daily, but occassionally i may need to bring one for support calls.
    - 13 inches seems like a sweet spot for me -- too much scrolling going aroudn on an 11- incher
    - i really don't need the extra power, Celeron or Pentium M should be fine for me -- mostly browsing, reading docs, Excel, coding(possibly Eclipse)
    - most of the time it will be used around at house, >6 hours battery life is a want, not a need

1. Buy cheap, light notebook, 20-30k(Dell Inspiron 11/13 or Asus X series), upgrade every 2 years

Pros:
    - upgrade options(bump up RAM to 8GB, storage to SSD)
    - if it gets stolen or damaged, hindi masakit
    - don't mind the extra thickness/weight

Cons:
    - build quality generally sucks at this price range
    - extra weight
    - typical battery life of 4-5 hours
    - i expect to upgrade every 2 years

2. Buy midrange/ultrabook, 35-60k(Asus Zenbook, Dell XPS 13), upgrade every 3 years

Pros:
    - super light
    - >6 hour battery life
    - while cost is an issue, i don't mind spending extra if it lasts longer

Cons:
    - cost
    - not too many upgrade options; expensive to upgrade
    - i'd expect to upgrade every 3 years or so
    - masakit kung masira/manakaw

The upgrade options are a gray area; who knows by the time i need to, baka phase out na rin yung components.
    tia

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Apple Macbooks seem to have high resale value. So if you upgrade every few years, it might be a good option.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Why upgrade every 2-3 years?

1. Get a laptop with ample RAM from the start. Windows OSes love RAM. 8 GB should be plenty.

2. Choose a laptop with an Intel CPU and graphics. I think they sip the least power.

3. Make sure the laptop still has a user-replaceable battery. Many laptops now have an internal battery (a la tablets) that require bringing to a shop for service. Disregard if you don't mind an internal battery.

I have a 14" ASUS G46VW gaming laptop from 2013. Although it will have a harder time running new games, it's still overkill for my non-gaming tasks. I plan to keep it for a very long time.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho. you will never know when you need the power and the battery life until such time you need it.
    and you will never appreciate the lightness of a laptop until there such a time that you need to carry it often.

i would agree on the macbook.

i carry around a lenovo thinkpad e130. 11 incher, 6 hour battery life, Intel i5, 8 GB RAM for three years now. ok pa din.
    windows 10 primary OS, ubuntu and kali linux on virtual box.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    It easy to replace internal battery of laptops. There are instructions in YouTube.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    It easy to replace internal battery of laptops. There are instructions in YouTube.
    There are also YT videos that show how to modify a car engine or replace it components. Not all people are comfortable taking apart devices, esp those that are not supposed to be user-serviceable.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    slightly OT: Dell is refreshing ther Inspiron line...now with backlit keyboards and aluminum chassis

Dell’s latest 2-in-1 laptops include models with 11 to 17 inch screens

8. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    I am planning to buy a laptop as well, leaning towards a Macbook Pro non retina display. I would usually use it at home and also for travelling. Editing photos and videos. Any pros and cons for the Macbook Pro?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I guess I too am in the market for a new laptop, this time for my youngest kid. She'll be needing one for the next school year. When my eldest kid used to attend school there, she got a MacBook free. I guess the school lost the contract. So now, students have to bring their own laptops.

Something cheap, something small like this one is what I have in mind.

Lenovo Thinkpad Premium 11.6"

• Intel Celeron Quad-Core N2940 1.83GHz
    • 4GB DDR3L Memory
    • 128GB SSD
    • 11.6-inch Anti-Glare Display (1366 x 768)
    • No Optical Drive
    • Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 5th, 2016 at 01:59 AM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I guess I too am in the market for a new laptop, this time for my youngest kid. She'll be needing one for the next school year. When my eldest kid used to attend school there, she got a MacBook free. I guess the school lost the contract. So now, students have to bring their own laptops.

Something cheap, something small like this one is what I have in mind.

Lenovo Thinkpad Premium 11.6"

• Intel Celeron Quad-Core N2940 1.83GHz
    • 4GB DDR3L Memory
    • 128GB SSD
    • 11.6-inch Anti-Glare Display (1366 x 768)
    • No Optical Drive
    • Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

Be mindful of the battery life sir. There are a few Chromebooks that have excellent battery life, but apps-wise there are severe limitations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast