New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Napansin ko lang di na nakakaexcite ang Apple simula nung nawala si Steve Jobs. Tsaka tama yung sabi ni Retz nawala pagka-trend setter nila. Samsung is seriously catching up.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    pero mas sosyal parin pag naka Apple tablet hehe
    not kung ipad 1 pa hawak mo, thats like outdated, like not soshal! like ewwww! so jurassic!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    Napansin ko lang di na nakakaexcite ang Apple simula nung nawala si Steve Jobs. Tsaka tama yung sabi ni Retz nawala pagka-trend setter nila. Samsung is seriously catching up.
    they can't steal ideas fast enough and even their idiotic "patents" are starting to get invalidated now. Jobs was the true visionary when it came to new products and without him the company is starting to suffer.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    Yan nga sana ipopost ko ngayon. Pumanget na nung nawala si Steve Jobs.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Only advantage of Apple is their itunes store. Even their iOS is getting antiquated... Many are saying the IPad Mini isn't a convincing package, packing so last year's technology, IPad2 A5x technology. For sure may Mini 2 in 8 months with a A6x chipset. Better buy the IPad 4, which is more in line with the IPhone5 tech.
    Last edited by Monseratto; October 25th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Is the iPad Mini Worth Buying? | Upgrade Your Life - Yahoo! News

Apple has unveiled a new member of the family: the iPad Mini. This device is a clear response to the market pressure the cheaper Amazon Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7 have placed on the existing iPad. So how does this scaled down version of the iPad compare with its newly refreshed big brother and the Android tablets that still come in at a lower price?

Comparing Specs with the Competition
    Screen Size: iPad Mini's screen comes in at 7.9 inches, compared to the 9.7 inch screen of the iPad and the 7 inch screens of the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7. With a narrower bezel, iPad Mini fits a bit more screen into the same real estate.

Resolution: 1024x768 — this is not the Retina display that Apple touts as its high end screens on the iPhone 5 and the bigger iPad. Rather, it's the same resolution as the iPad 2, but with more pixels per inch. Also, the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD have higher resolution 1280x800 screens.

Thickness: 7.2mm thick — that's roughly 1/3 of an inch, or a little thinner than a pencil, and significantly thinner than either of the leading competitors.

Weight: .68 pounds, 53% lighter than the fourth-generation iPad. Competing Android tablets weigh slightly more: Nexus 7 tips the scales at .75 lbs, and the Kindle Fire HD at .88 lbs.

Processor: The dual core A5 chip is same as the iPad 2 that came out in 2011, and even Apple says the A6 chip in the iPad 4 and the iPhone 5 is twice as fast for some tasks as the A5. The Nexus 7 has a newer quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor and the Kindle Fire HD has a 1.2 GHz Dual Core processor, but you can only compare the performance of these processors against the iPad once you benchmark them in the real world; the numbers and specs don't tell you everything. But I'd give the edge to the Nexus 7 purely on hardware.

Cameras: iPad Mini: front and rear-facing cameras. The camera on the back is a 5 megapixel, same as the iPad 4 but lower res than the iPhone 5's 8 MP camera. The Nexus and Amazon tablets have only front facing cameras that are lower resolution than the Mini.

[Related: iPhone5 — Is it Worth the Money?]

Other Specs
    The Mini will come in a Wifi-only model and an LTE version with access to cellular networks on the go. It will use the new smaller lightning connector so you'll need all new charging cords and adapters if you have lots of accessories with the previous 30-pin connector.

Apple says it gets 10 hours of battery life, is made primarily of aluminum & glass, and it comes in both black and white. It will be available for preorder on Friday, October 26 and is set to ship November 2.

Price
    iPad Mini 16GB WiFi only — $329 ($459 for the 16GB with LTE cellular connectivity)
    iPad 4 16GB WiFi only — $499
    Kindle Fire HD 16GB — $199
    Nexus 7 16GB: $249 — But rumors are flying of an even cheaper Nexus tablet releasing next week and/or a big price cut on the Google tablet in time for the holidays.

So What Should You Buy?
    Nothing about the technical specs of the tablets makes any one of them a clear winner. Apple has an advantage in that the user-experience on the iPad and IOS is preferred by many, myself included. After living with both flavors, it's just easier, cleaner, and less hassle for me to use an iPad over a Nexus 7. In my opinion, the iPad Mini will benefit from that advantage as well.

But if I were a committed Android phone user, if my digital media was all purchased from Amazon or the Google Play store, or if price was my only consideration, I would NOT get the iPad Mini.

The final decision these days is about ecosystem- where are you going to buy and live? In Google/Amazon world or in Apple world?

If Apple had priced the mini in the $249 range, I'd say they would have nailed the coffin shut on competing tablets. But at $329 that's still a steep price tag, and many will find Android and Amazon tablets under the Christmas tree this year and enjoy them almost as much as those who unwrap the iPad Mini that costs $130 more.

[Related: Where to Get the Most Money for Your Old Gadgets]

Ethics statement: I have used both an iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy phone this year. I have tested and lived with the iPad and the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD. I love a deal and always wish that the cheaper one were as good or better than the more expensive one. Sometimes that's true, sometimes it's not. I am giving you my honest opinion and I am not paid for recommendations.

Special thanks to the folks at Bay Street Emeryville for providing the location.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    they are slowly getting overtaken

Google is looking to one-up that iPad's Retina display

Apple may be looking to crush the competition's hopes of taking over the 7" tablet market with its upcoming iPad Mini, but Google is looking to grab a few headlines of its own on Monday, October 29.

According to The Next Web, Google will officially unveil a 32GB version of its popular Nexus 7 tablet. The device has already turned up in stores across the U.S. and some lucky people have even been able to purchase the device, which is priced at $249 (the same price as the previous 16GB model). In addition, there will also be another 32GB Nexus 7 that will feature 3G connectivity. This device will most likely be aimed right at Amazon's 8.9" Kindle Fire HD LTE 4G (say that three times fast).

The star of the show, however, will be Google's new 10" tablet that was developed in conjunction with Samsung. This tablet will come bearing Android 4.2 (still operating under the Jelly Bean codename) and a Retina-surpassing resolution of 2560x1600 (300 ppi). Apple's "New iPad" features a screen resolution of 2048x1536 (264 ppi).

The device will likely be called the Nexus 10. We don't have any specs to report on at this time other than the screen, but we can only assume that it'll be packing a quad-core processor and at least 64GB of storage space at the high-end.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    How do you see Apple products especially their phone and tablet 5 years from now? Will they still reign supreme? or will they be overtaken by Samsung or other brands in the market?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    How do you see Apple products especially their phone and tablet 5 years from now? Will they still reign supreme? or will they be overtaken by Samsung or other brands in the market?
    5 years?...Just take a look at the current stats.

Smartphone operating systems

IDC looked at global smartphone shipments in Q2 2012, placing Android well out in front in terms of operating system share:

Source: IDC Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker, August 8, 2012

Gartner's analysis of global Q2 2012 smartphone sales also shows the Android operating system dominating market share:

Source: Gartner (August 2012)

Nielsen's figures for Q2 2012 in the US show Android as the leading OS with 51.8% of
    all currently-owned smartphones, followed by Apple's iOS at 34.3% and the RIM OS at 8.1%:

Source: Nielsen (July 2012)

Smartphone manufacturers

Source: IDC Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker, July 26, 2012

Smartphone sales and statistics

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    somebody is bound to come along and topple them from their perch. nobody stays on top for too long.

look at it this way. apple releases OS and hardware versions per year, sometimes even longer, google and android hardware manufacturers have tighter release cycles. android looked like crap when it first came out but google released updates more often and now looks just as good as iOS. iOS on the other hand has become boring (my personal opinion) by looking pretty much stayed the same since it first came out.

aside from passbook, every feature in the recently released iphone 5 was already present in android phones that was released months before the iphone 5. the galaxy note 2 was just released and it now has a PIP (picture in picture) feature, plus you can now open and view 2 apps at the same time. this is not possible with iphone/ipad since proper multitasking is still not present on iOS.

hardware-wise, though, apple is still ahead. the build quality of apple products is still better than any of the competitors. apple should just stop fscking around with stupid litigations and just concentrate on making better products.
    Last edited by roninblade; October 25th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast