New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Can I have 2 internet providers in my network?

Here's my current setup:

ISP 1 ----- router 1 -------- access point ------ router 2

Router 1 is in my house

Router 2 is in my office

I need to access the office computers from my home.

I need a new internet with static IP in my office for my surveillance cameras. So I'm planning to connect it to router 2.

Is this possible?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Lagay ka ng Linksys RV042 or similar product sa office boybi, then configure mo lang VPN.

Then install ka VPN client sa bahay at remote desktop ka na lang sa office.

Gano pala kalayo bahay mo sa office?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Para saan yang RV042?

The office is just across the street of my house. Pero from the router 1 to router 2, around 50-60m ang straight line distance. Pero yung cable e aabot ng more than 100m since papagapangin sa wall.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Possible yan, VPN is the key. You don't have to make pagapang from your house to your office.. VPN lang ok na.

Just use 1 company for your two internet connections so that latency will be lessened. CON naman nun, if your ISP is down both your 2 lines are down.

If you use 2 different ISPs lalo na pag PLDT iyong isa and the other 1 is (hehehe kahit ano pa yan).. Don't expect na smooth ang paguusap ng mga yan lalo na at gagamitin mo hindi corporate account na connection. Sobrang taas ng latency niyan at hindi mo mamomonitor/transfer ang kailangan mong mamonitor/transfer from your home to your office and vice versa because of latency.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Magiging setup mo ganito..

House <-> router <-> ISP1 (modem) <-> Internet Cloud (VPN) <-> ISP2 (modem) <-> router <-> Office

Maguusap yan pag may VPN ka.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How does VPN work?

Gotto learn about VPN when I return from my trip.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    A VPN enables X number of different networks to operate as one network. Even if different networks are being connected as one, it is secured because the line is encrypted.

If you want an inexpensive solution (cutting out 2 ISPs to 1.) I suggest you purchase a wireless repeater. But take note, before doing this research first on the best wireless solution (wireless router and it's compatible wireless repeater in the market nowadays for home-office setup.

Magiging setup nyo ganito na:

Home network <- wireless connection -> wireless repeater(s) <-> Office network <-> wireless router <-> ISP modem

Home network will be connected wirelessly to your Office network. You need to have at least X number of wireless repeaters to make that possible hehehe. The wireless repeaters will amplify the signal from your office network to your home since sabi niyo they are 50 meters apart. Again research how many will you need. Pwede rin pong trial and error. This will be fun! :-D

The setup above will enable you to access files between office and home, it will also enable you to control your machines at home or in the office. You will be able also to monitor things from your home to the office (or to wherever the CCTV cams are placed). If you're going to monitor things outside of your network (home and office) then a VPN is needed. hehehe.
    Last edited by froshie1; April 6th, 2011 at 05:41 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Another approach is to use the existing wireless bridge to connect the two networks. You will still use the same subnet (ie. 192.168.1.1 to 254, 255.255.255.0)

However, office PCs will have static IP addresses and their gateway IP set to the office router. The home users can still have DHCP (for simplicity) with its gateway pointed to the home router.

Remote desktop or remote PC control will be faster within the LAN.

Remember to exclude the static IP addresses assigned to the office PCs from the DHCP server on the home router.

Last edited by oj88; April 8th, 2011 at 04:36 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for filling in the details froshie1.

Lantency issues for different ISP is resolved by manually setting you network MTU.

Bili ka ng Cisco RV042 Boybi mura lang sya.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sobra naman technical mga yan, hehe.

Also, different ISPs yung 2 internet connections ko. Globe and PLDT.

Pwede ba ako mag dual wan router nalang? Pano ko magagamit yung pagka-static IP ng Globe for my CCTV?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2 ISPs, 1 home network?