New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kennon Road can easily (and safely) be done in 30 minutes without hitting speeds over 100kph. I understand that those who have good knowledge of the road and skill can take that in 20 minutes or so; I remember an L-Type Lancer passing me and leaving me behind as if i was standing still during one of my late night drives a couple of years ago or so. (Props to that driver... nice and smooth and sounded like he was running on 4th gear).

What matters more is being able to maintain consistency throughout the road by taking the turns at a proper speed/line and more importantly, there's no traffic to hold you back. One can safely overtake only in several areas so getting stuck behind a slow vehicle can really slow your progress.

How's Kennon now BTW? Haven't been up since last May and i'm thinking of driving up this November.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    kennon and marcos is the "tip of the iceberg" for me.....try halsema hiway. esp on foggy afternoons.

i always average 30 minutes uphill via kennon years before in a decrepit isuzu pickup. 45 mins - 1 hr uphill on naguilian. marcos hiway is way longer route plus most of the stretch consists of "uphills" for hours on end. i only travel via marcos when the weather is bad.

somehow, the basic rules in circuit racing applies to driving on mountain roads. i mean not with respect to speeds but with regards to preventing oversteers/understeers on curves, spins, etc....i did 10 years driving in lowlands before i got a taste in hill climbing about 5 years back and it really hones your driving skills.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    just did a downhill run of 100kmh from a road ung papuntang tagaytay. di ko alam pangalan. and wow was the car still stable? YES!
    Kung papuntang Dasmarinas, Cavite (straight road),- Aguinaldo Hiway
    Kung papuntang Sta Rosa, Laguna (straight and some turns) - Sta.Rosa-Tagaytay Road
    Kung papuntang Nasugbu, Batangas (mostly with turns) - Tagaytay-Nasugbu Hiway

And yes, doing over 100KPH on these roads is a breeze....

14.4K:out:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Kung papuntang Sta Rosa, Laguna (straight and some turns) - Sta.Rosa-Tagaytay Road

Tagaytay - Talisay Road daw... hehe.

5. Join Date
    May 2010

it's none of the three CVT. It's the road if you're coming from Noveleta, to Gen Trias then sa Intersection nung malapit sa LPU Cavite then lagpas nun that's the road. it's a very old road which needs some minor repairs but still better than what edsa could offer. hehe. if my memory serves me right, i did a 150kmh pass on one of the straights at that road. the 100km/h was just an initial speed. it's a long winding road to tagaytay and i won't recommend doing what i just did cause flocks of chickens crosses the road eh.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Hahaha

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    it's none of the three CVT. It's the road if you're coming from Noveleta, to Gen Trias then sa Intersection nung malapit sa LPU Cavite then lagpas nun that's the road. it's a very old road which needs some minor repairs but still better than what edsa could offer. hehe. if my memory serves me right, i did a 150kmh pass on one of the straights at that road. the 100km/h was just an initial speed. it's a long winding road to tagaytay and i won't recommend doing what i just did cause flocks of chickens crosses the road eh.
    Bro.,- Base sa roadguide ito iyong Cristanto delos Reyes Road,- turning ito Amadeo Road leading to Tagaytay..... Dumaraan ito ng Gateway Business Park after crossing Governor's Drive going to Tagaytay.... May mga bahayan iyan sa tabing daan... Mabilis nga iyan....

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Iyan ang isa sa mga paborito kong daan.... Mas mahirap ang pababa dahil talagang kailangan mo ng matinding engine brake dahil para kang nakasakay sa pahulog na roller coaster... Tapos, may hila ka pa... Dense fog is another challenge...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007

Iyan ang isa sa mga paborito kong daan.... Mas mahirap ang pababa dahil talagang kailangan mo ng matinding engine brake dahil para kang nakasakay sa pahulog na roller coaster... Tapos, may hila ka pa... Dense fog is another challenge...

madalas yan sa Marcos hway
    one time paakyat makapal ang fog zero visibility nag overtake ako sa 16 wheeler na trak hindi ko na uulitin pramis

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jansky View Post
    madalas yan sa Marcos hway
    one time paakyat makapal ang fog zero visibility nag overtake ako sa 16 wheeler na trak hindi ko na uulitin pramis
    I encountered that when i went up earlier this month. It was foggy at the last few cardiac climbs after the tunnel so i couldn't pass the slow trucks until it cleared up. Thankfully when it cleared, i had more power then most of the cars inline so i had first crack at clearing the truck train by the time i finished off second gear.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    btw, would like to ask sana kung kumusta ang kennon road na ngayon? ok pa rin ba na daanan ng light vehicles? planning on baguio trip sana, and this time i would like to try this route..[/QUOTE]

Kung di ka pa nkkbyahe bro, at sa mga bibyahe pa lang. Around 25% ng kennon road e one-way dahil sa rehabilitation. I suggest you travel early in the morning or night. I've been there last October & I wasnt able to notice my speed, but most of the time, eyes on the road!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
your fastest speed downhill Marcos and /or Kennon road