New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Still have the gen1 3, jut sir? That's a solid car there. Any plans of a track set up? OVT does em, too.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Still have the gen1 3, jut sir? That's a solid car there. Any plans of a track set up? OVT does em, too.
    The AT sucks. No power from 40-60 kph as this is when it shifts from a short first gear to a very long second gear. Unfortunately, this is also the speed with which you take most corners in a technical track. Oh, and it weighs 1340 kg despite being smaller than my 1239 kg Civic - it's like I have 2 girls in the car at all times, but without the corresponding eye candy. 😂

I still love it to bits though - full of character compared to the ES Civic or 9th gen Altis, yet still better-equipped than both of them. The hydraulic steering gives much better feedback than my current Civic, although for daily use it's relatively more tiring. The handling is superb and planted, perfect for mountain runs where you can take corners at 4000-6000 rpm in 2nd gear.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; August 1st, 2017 at 06:38 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The AT sucks. No power from 40-60 kph as this is when it shifts from a short first gear to a very long second gear. Unfortunately, this is also the speed with which you take most corners in a technical track. Oh, and it weighs 1340 kg despite being smaller than my 1239 kg Civic - it's like I have 2 girls in the car at all times, but without the corresponding eye candy. 😂

I still love it to bits though - full of character compared to the ES Civic or 9th gen Altis, yet still better-equipped than both of them. The hydraulic steering gives much better feedback than my current Civic, although for daily use it's relatively more tiring. The handling is superb and planted, perfect for mountain runs where you can take corners at 4000-6000 rpm in 2nd gear.

Hehe. Sounds like you've been spoiled by your new Civic.
    ....But yes, Mazda's strength has always been about fun & handling. Looking at the way cars of today & all their gizmos have robbed away that raw & direct road feel, it's really a luxury to have a good ol' reliable to remind us how they used to be built. You plan that a keeper?
    Btw, 1.8s don't come w/ paddles, do they? Pretty sure you can hack em in w/ RS parts. I did w/ our hobo 2 DJ. Now, it practically has everything needed for dual duty....daily & looooong fun backroads.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    How do you hack paddle shifters into the 1.8?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    How do you hack paddle shifters into the 1.8?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I can speak for the M2 DJ....a calculated guess that the new CIVICs (1.8 & 1.5T)share the same harnesses...but here's what I did....
    My hobo's clockspring lacked the pins for the paddle plug, so I got 1 w/....same used in 3s...

Got the paddle harness & the bundle of 3 cables that would run behind the clockspring terminal to the main cluster harness

Of course, the paddles & a custom milled adapter my bud crafted...but you can use an RS wheel in your case...this 2 is an ongoing project.

Finally...paddle display is alive...

You'll need to compare your 1.8's harness w/ the RS' to figure parts you need. Skyactivs share a lot of common parts across models.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    The ever-evolving project's cockpit currently looks like this....

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hehe. Sounds like you've been spoiled by your new Civic.
    ....But yes, Mazda's strength has always been about fun & handling. Looking at the way cars of today & all their gizmos have robbed away that raw & direct road feel, it's really a luxury to have a good ol' reliable to remind us how they used to be built. You plan that a keeper?
    Btw, 1.8s don't come w/ paddles, do they? Pretty sure you can hack em in w/ RS parts. I did w/ our hobo 2 DJ. Now, it practically has everything needed for dual duty....daily & looooong fun backroads.
    Too complicated to add paddles to the 1.8. The transmission assembly is different - the RS doesn't have an L mode. Also, finding an RS wheel will be difficult, and the wiring for the paddles will most likely not be plug and play. Even if it were possible, it'd be expensive.

I generally don't like to spend a lot on mods for my car since I could've just used that money to get a better car in the first place. And right now I prefer to save my money for a large non-car related expenditure in the near future.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Too complicated to add paddles to the 1.8. The transmission assembly is different - the RS doesn't have an L mode. Also, finding an RS wheel will be difficult, and the wiring for the paddles will most likely not be plug and play. Even if it were possible, it'd be expensive.

I generally don't like to spend a lot on mods for my car since I could've just used that money to get a better car in the first place. And right now I prefer to save my money for a large non-car related expenditure in the near future.

Made sure that lil experiment would not set me back much. Only the clockspring was sourced locally. Scoured hobo parts all over, plus, put an old wheel to use.....In anything, most of the fun is in the journey.
    Hmmmm, lemme guess what you're saving up for....something that won't run to cover those that do? Everyone wishes for that, too.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    sana sa next touge... kasama na ang fk8 or fk8r?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Made sure that lil experiment would not set me back much. Only the clockspring was sourced locally. Scoured hobo parts all over, plus, put an old wheel to use.....In anything, most of the fun is in the journey.
    Hmmmm, lemme guess what you're saving up for....something that won't run to cover those that do? Everyone wishes for that, too.
    How much did it cost for your whole conversion?

Upon further reading, I don't think the 1.8 and RS have the same CVT. Too many differences - aside from the L mode, the RS' CVT can be brake-torqued at 3000 rpm (2000 only for the 1.8), plus the RS is designed to have fake shifts while the 1.8 just drones at 6000 rpm.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
TougeBattle Round5 Results(7/29/17)