New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    First of all, I'm new here, Happy New Year and greetings to all Pinoy car lovers here :2thumbsup:

I'm wondering if there's any way of becoming a professional race car driver here in the Philippines with little money to spend? What could get me started?

Some of my motoring background: I don't have my own car but drives my dad's car, been driving since 17. I wanted to become a pilot when I was in high school but can't afford it so I got a scholarship for MfG eng'g degree instead.

Most of my 'racing skills' are virtual, in the computer, at least that I could afford :laughbounce2: Anyway, three years ago, I was able to build more realistic setup for my virtual racing simulator. A much faster computer, the Richard Burns Rally driving simulator, a momo steering wheel, custom seats and pedal holders.

My first real life experience at competitive driving was * speedzone and surprised myself on how I instantly was confident with handling those little cars at the edge of traction or beyond. I was mixed with a group of highly experienced British drivers at that time and landed 2nd place. I actually fell to 5th place in the 4th lap(after running wide on one corner) then, ending up 2nd place just one second behind the leader. It was a tough battle to the podium, everyone's on the edge even with minor incidents. It was a big surprise to the winning British driver when I told him that was my first, like he'd never expect that from a noob! :2thumbsup:

Somehow that led me to believe I had talent in this field and the capacity to learn very quickly. I don't want to give this up just yet despite some big obstacles. :chop:

Thanks a lot for any help! :D

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    hey Dtaker, how ya doin man? and also welcome to Tsikot! anyhow, why dont you try out some classes at a reputable Racing School. like Tuason Racing School, for example. you can check out www.TuasonRacing.com for more details.

aite, peace.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can't really expect to become a professional without money... sadly. But there's another obstacle beyond financial capability for budding racers here in the Philippines... the lack of professional series for them to take part in. You can go the Kart route, but you'll need your own kart and team, and it's hella expensive.

If you're willing to pay your own way, you can start at the Tuason Racing School. About 14k pesos will get you started in race classes, and if you show enough potential, you can probably get a seat in next year's novice class. (Or you could wait for the next Top Driver Challenge, in which case, as long as you beat everyone else, that seat is free).

From there, you'll need to perform strongly enough to attract corporate or private sponsors. Some racers have the financial ability and/or connections to fund themselves, but if you don't, you'll need around 150,000 pesos to do a season at TRS (I think, my memory is kind of vague). If you want wider exposure, a PTCC stint will cost you over a million a year... and even then, you're not sure of being competitive, as the Cosetengs and Ramirezes spend millions a year on their campaigns, just to get to the top.

The most important thing for you, I guess, is to find the opportunity to get your foot in the door, then to make friends with the right people, in order to pave the way for sponsorships for a full season of racing. Talk to people, get to know them. If you can afford to, take part in slaloms with your own car, get a few shows (i.e.: 1st, 2nd, 3rd in class) and a few wins under your belt, try to get noticed.

It's possible to make a career of racing here, but it's tough. Unless you're the best of the best or really rich or both, it'll be difficult.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    if your good, then i guess the biggest obstacle would be how much are you willing to let go? especially when you're starting up. modifications sa auto pa lang laki na ng gastos. sabi nga ng marami e walang yumayaman dito sa rezing hehehe!

but don't give up! ayun nga ke boss niky, get to know the right people to make it big in this industry.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Wooow! This is a hard one. Want to become a PROFESSIONAL race car driver but a very little money? Well, its imposible but, posible too. I dont know if somebody out there wants to sponsor you since you dont have any background as R.C.D. Buying a proven racing engine is not an option since they are very expensive. If you have a knowledge how to built a good racing engine maybe this is your option. You could built it little by little, you dont have to purchase all the component at one time since budget is tight.

Again, building one is not an easy task. You must getout the rule book for the track where you want to race. This is very important cause it may specify the type of LIFTERSTHAT can be use on the cam as well as the type of PISTON gaya nang (Flat-top, 4 eyebrow, ect) the rules will probably spell out the type of cylinder head to be used. You must know this before buying any parts kung anong klasing RACE ang gusto mo dahil there is classification of every racing engine and type race where you wanna be. GOOD LUCK

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    make your little money grow..make it lotsa money =p

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you are female and have the looks, get a corporate sponsor such as Petron or join ka sa Pinoy Big Brother and reap the benefits afterwards.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    If you are female and have the looks, get a corporate sponsor such as Petron or join ka sa Pinoy Big Brother and reap the benefits afterwards.
    Errrmm... Gaby dela Merced is already an accomplished racer (6 years and counting) before she entered PBB... some of her wins:

2000: Philippine Slalom Championship, Class wins
    2001: Philippine Slalom Championship. Class wins, Ladies Champion
    2002: Philippine Touring Cars, Novice Production Class, 3rd overall
    2003: Philippine BRC Production Touring Car Championship, 3rd overall
    2003: Philippine Petron GP Touring Car Series, 2nd overall Production Class
    2004: Philippine Formula Toyota Championship, 3rd overall
    2004: Formula BMW Asia Scholarship Driver

IMO - It's a bit downgrading for her as a racer to state that this can all be attributed to the fact that she's "a female and have the looks" and joined PBB.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Errrmm... Gaby dela Merced is already an accomplished racer (6 years and counting) before she entered PBB... some of her wins:

2000: Philippine Slalom Championship, Class wins
    2001: Philippine Slalom Championship. Class wins, Ladies Champion
    2002: Philippine Touring Cars, Novice Production Class, 3rd overall
    2003: Philippine BRC Production Touring Car Championship, 3rd overall
    2003: Philippine Petron GP Touring Car Series, 2nd overall Production Class
    2004: Philippine Formula Toyota Championship, 3rd overall
    2004: Formula BMW Asia Scholarship Driver

IMO - It's a bit downgrading for her as a racer to state that this can all be attributed to the fact that she's "a female and have the looks" and joined PBB.
    I am very well aware of Gaby's accomplishments as I had noticed her way before she was popular during her slalom days driving her Starlet. My point here being is that if you have a 'little money' and got the looks, you could get some corporate sponsorship or joint popular shows just to show your marketability, as racing is a pretty expensive sport and a you would certainly need the money.

I believe it wasn't my intention to downgrade Gaby at all.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    ok back to the topic:

I think if I was on Dtakers situation, I'd rather build me a "budget" race car. like a Starlet, AE86 or something (kahit ano basta may gulong! at may aftermarket support!.. or even fabricate performance parts of your own!). and then use that car for racing, like Slalom, GymKhana, Drifting, Drag etc.. (whichever you feel like doing.. or whichever your car is set-up for).

so I'd definitely recommend starting out as a Grassroots racer, like an Independent race car driver w/ a small team. compete at races (of your choice), then win some podium finishes (or even get consistent point standings) then go from there.

anywayz, I think if he does it this way, he can learn complete car control and basic mechanical skills by using his own car and using at diff. race events. even if he starts with an underpowered car, but as long as it handles good and reliable then it should be Ok.

its like what I've learned through the years that racing is not all about big Horsepower, but its all about reliability, balance and complete car control.

aite, peace.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
How to start a racing career with very little money?