New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Raikkonen aka the iceman began shining in F1 the minute he had a mclaren. But in Sauber, he wasn't so spectacular. He has great skills, but only as evidenced by his results. He obviously does not have the charisma. If he ever becomes a world champion, he would make a bad one from a PR point of view for F1 as a sport due to his recent shameful shenanigans and cold persona. A world champion could serve as a role model to the fans esp. to the youth, and the iceman wins with his driving skills but fails in his moral conduct. A world champion is just like a miss universe, it is the sum of all that makes the winner and not just one component. Btw, who could look up to Kobe Bryant or OJ Simpson now as role models? Remember, both were very successful players in their respective sports and were very big product endorsers, till......

In these days in F1, the machine is now more important than the driver, but of course, a team still needs a competent driver to harness all that power. But I really do wish we could go back to the days when driver talent mattered more than what the engine, aero package, tires, etc...could deliver.

Schumi, despite all the hype of recent years, is actually a driver that came from such era. A decade ago, give Schumi a so-so car and he can turn things around with his driving skills, really. Watch him during his Benetton days battling it out with Senna in the Mclaren or Prost in a Mclaren also and later Williams, etc. Even during the dark ages of Ferrari in 96, he managed to get three wins for a team that has been on a winning drought during its previous years!

Montoya is really no hype. He did a Schumi/Ferrari act during his CART days with the help of his team, Chip Ganassi Racing, which means that he just couldn't stop winning. When news of his move to F1 became known, lots of people were placing high expectations on Montoya, since he was the CART equivalent of what Schumi is right now in F1. However, Montoya's success in CART could not be easily translated into F1 terms since as we know F1 is a whole different ballgame. Look at what happened to Alex Zanardi? After being successful in CART, he returned to F1 through Williams and only lasted for a season. Michael Andretti, another CART icon, only lasted for a few races in F1 back in 93.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    Montoya is really no hype. He did a Schumi/Ferrari act during his CART days with the help of his team, Chip Ganassi Racing, which means that he just couldn't stop winning. When news of his move to F1 became known, lots of people were placing high expectations on Montoya, since he was the CART equivalent of what Schumi is right now in F1. However, Montoya's success in CART could not be easily translated into F1 terms since as we know F1 is a whole different ballgame. Look at what happened to Alex Zanardi? After being successful in CART, he returned to F1 through Williams and only lasted for a season. Michael Andretti, another CART icon, only lasted for a few races in F1 back in 93.
    Sigh*** shame talaga yung nangyari kay Zanardi in F1. He was definitely one of the most exciting drivers of his time in CART, translating poor qualifying positions into wins so often, it became exciting to watch CART just to see from how far back he could win a race. Unfortunately, in F1 at the time Zanardi came in, the aerodynamics were so good that overtaking was nigh impossible. The new rules suit CART drivers better, and it's good to see Montoya in his element.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    I beg to disagree. This guy has actually brought a great deal of excitement to F1. In his third race, who would have thought of someone daring enough to overtake the world champion? Montoya takes no prisoners when overtaking, in fact he's the best in that field. Obviously, Schumacher has found his match, or possibly even better skill-wise as Hakkinen was starting to fade away.

Juan Pablo is a very controversial icon. His Latin origin precedes him, thus the double standard of being loud and all that. He's actually down-to-earth, with a sense of humor and that likeability factor others don't have. Some say he's good, some bad. He's certainly one of the best on the grid, and thankfully, he's gradually maturing season by season. His aggressive attitude is now filtered by realistic thinking. He no longer pushes the car hard if there are no chances of winning anyway unlike before. He's also humbler and admits his own faults compared to his rookie years when he keeps pointing his finger at the underperforming car. Although it was justifiable, he could only do so much, and I'm glad he's finally taken such factors into account, charging for the win only if it's possible in the first place.

I have to admit his occasional hot-headedness, impatience and lack of motivation due to technical shortcomings and personal reasons, but this guy treats F1 as a passion. He's not like a robot racer that simply drives the car as fast as possible. He's quite a blabbermouth when he races, and does not compromise on his lap times significantly. He loves to talk to people. He savors life like a typical human being, balancing his commitment to the sport and his family.

We ought to see more from this guy, at least while the McLaren is still the top car. He started at the right foot in the UK anyway, so he's on his way. But if his teammate has a huge chance of winning the title, he himself said he will help him out, but only after his own chances are gone.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the reason i brought up the subject of hype is that for whatever reason, Montoya doesn't win races. period. he should - he has the talent, the car, the team, the experience...but he doesn't. and there's always some reason why he doesn't.

right now, he's a phenomenal CART success that hasn't been able to win in F1.

plus, i'm bitter that he failed to meet expectations at and finally left Williams

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Do you guys think that Massa would do good in a Ferrari???

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    I believe the guy has potential, although it still remains to be seen if Massa'a driving skills is of the same caliber as Alonso's or Raikkonen's. Besides, Ferrari would not be gambling on him if he did not meet their requirements.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    the reason i brought up the subject of hype is that for whatever reason, Montoya doesn't win races. period. he should - he has the talent, the car, the team, the experience...but he doesn't. and there's always some reason why he doesn't.

right now, he's a phenomenal CART success that hasn't been able to win in F1.

plus, i'm bitter that he failed to meet expectations at and finally left Williams
    Montoya's not perfect but he did enough for Williams. In 2001 alone, most of his possible wins are foiled by an unreliable car. The next year he did all he can but the Ferraris are simply too good. It's true that he complained a lot about the car, but he's a much humbler person now. In 2003 Australia, he blamed himself for spinning and not the erratic FW25. He now drives according to what's feasible and no longer attacks and attacks to no avail.

I wasn't really an F1 fan until this guy came along. After I came to know of what he did in 2001 Brazil, I was already an addict. Yes, he had his share of mistakes and accidents, but so did Schumi himself in his rookie season. It's also true that he somehow lost his motivation this year after a shoulder injury, but he's gradually getting back to his old self again. His title chances may now be over, but I expect him to win a few more races before driving a V8 for next year.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    Do you guys think that Massa would do good in a Ferrari???
    well, he's in for surprise. i think, given the right moment, Massa would be competitive enough to grab some podium. Has Sdhumi lost his magic?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    Has Sdhumi lost his magic?
    di pa masyado siguro, but I think father time is catching up with him.

With regards to Barrichelo, who do you think will be booted out of BAR, Button or Sato?

If I'm BAR, I would get rid of Button.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi
    With regards to Barrichelo, who do you think will be booted out of BAR, Button or Sato?

If I'm BAR, I would get rid of Button.
    oo. tanggalin na yang Button na yan.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
F1 Driver Discussion [Split]