New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac6669 View Post
    I agree... i like drifting a 4 door the best... but if all i can find in the philippines is a Corolla.... i will have a 500HP sr20DET Corolla hehehe
    :drive1:
    Have you seen these photos?

Manila Drift Photos Oct 7 2006 Photos Click Here

Countersteer: 1st Philipine Drifting Competition Photos Click Here

This one from Manila Drift

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    MAN! i cant wait.... i just hope all the good chassis arent all taken up by the time i get there! that would feel like ---> :thud:

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    cardiac, i will be there in may myself to attend school at mapua. i have a miata here in the states with turbo... i plan on sending my stuff there as well... i hear its too expensive to ship a car from the states... but guys on the forum, there arent rx7s in the pi? i know there are s14s and corollas(i saw the drift exhibition at mall of asia on tfc hehe) how much are the corollas usually running for there(ae86)? also, how much do the miatas over there go for?
    thanks guys!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myfonti View Post
    cardiac, i will be there in may myself to attend school at mapua. i have a miata here in the states with turbo... i plan on sending my stuff there as well... i hear its too expensive to ship a car from the states... but guys on the forum, there arent rx7s in the pi? i know there are s14s and corollas(i saw the drift exhibition at mall of asia on tfc hehe) how much are the corollas usually running for there(ae86)? also, how much do the miatas over there go for?
    thanks guys!
    AE86s are pretty expensive. If someone is willing to sell, usually 150,000 plus (I've seen asking prices at 250k, too). Miata prices are even worse... Haven't seen an asking price below 400,000 yet... but at least they're more worth the money.

RX7s are available, and one comes up for sale every so often. But parts and maintenance are very difficult for this car here.

You can send your Miata engine and suspension mods here and install it in a local one, I guess. Sending the whole car over won't be worth the hassle.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    i was thinking that... but i wanted to play with another car, like a silvia, 86, or even get another fc... i used to have an fc and i know how to work on rotaries a bit... i have a house in valenzuela(my mom lives there) are there any drift clubs/shops/tracks around? i also have family in greenhills area, cavite, and also in tarlac...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    ...I figured that I might as well chime since I'm in the same boat with you guys =)
    instead of shipping my RX8 for $2K, I'll probably just get an FC. I'm a mechanic by trade and I've worked on rotaries. so I'm not worried about rotary issues.
    cardiac, just out of curiosity; are you in the military?
    ...so how 'bout tha drift club, eh? we should probably get that rolling as early as possible =)

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    AE86s are pretty expensive. If someone is willing to sell, usually 150,000 plus (I've seen asking prices at 250k, too). Miata prices are even worse... Haven't seen an asking price below 400,000 yet... but at least they're more worth the money.

RX7s are available, and one comes up for sale every so often. But parts and maintenance are very difficult for this car here.

You can send your Miata engine and suspension mods here and install it in a local one, I guess. Sending the whole car over won't be worth the hassle.

AE86? Sobrang panood lang ng Initial-D yan.... Ala Takumi Fujiwara...hehehe.

Sorry for the OT, couldn't resist mentioning this, whenever there is a discussion with AE86s, and drifting.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HIFI View Post
    AE86? Sobrang panood lang ng Initial-D yan.... Ala Takumi Fujiwara...hehehe.

Sorry for the OT, couldn't resist mentioning this, whenever there is a discussion with AE86s, and drifting.

are you talking about the initial D price mark-up and the sudden interest on the cars? I'm pretty sure this is not the first time you've heard this but just in case... just like any other things, it's about supply and demand. old cars + initial d hype = price hike opportunity who wouldn't wanna get more money for something? people are bitting the bullet 'cause they want it real bad/they think they might not have the chance to get one later down the road

but you have to understand not all AE86 enthusiasts were influenced by the said anime. I was first introduced into drifting back in 2001 when I was first assigned to Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. that's where i bought my first beater, a 1986 trueno coupe (not tak's hatch) and later found out about the car's potential. and after a few weeks of parts hunting/wrenching, I did my first canyon run (touge) and later that week my first drift event and since then, I was hooked. and most owners are around when the car was first released and immediately fell in love with the machine. I guess what I'm trying to point is not just because you heard/read a discussion regarding a said car, you can automatically link it to an ongoing hype 'cause that doesn't apply to all. on the other hand, you are entitled to your own opinion and so am I
    my apologies if I'm acting a little to defensive but I'm sick and tired of hearing/reading bout sh** like this I understand that there's a lot of mini-takumi's floating around but that doesn't mean you can genaralize on the whole crowd.

...now back to original topic

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That said, you can get AE's that are close, but not identical for much less money. The possibilities are endless, really... as these aren't regarded as "classics" yet, but are still old enough for people to want to tear out all the guts and modify them.

I've seen some pretty interesting drivetrain combos being done here, as well as custom suspension set-ups, that, while not ghetto or cheap, are ghastly to behold, but which work pretty well.

But sadly, it's true... while there's been a cult-following for rear-wheel drive Toyotas here for years, it's only since Initial D that demand for the AE86 in particular took off. Before that, the Toyota to get was the twitchy, short wheelbase Starlet.

We have some pretty rabid autocross Starlets here, with lots of power and very good tail-control... the starting price is much more realistic for an unmolested version (50k will get you a decent one) and the possibilities are almost unlimited.

Me? I still want a 4AGE-swapped 70's Celica. On really really wide 13's...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    can you drift an FF car? how?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Drifters?