New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Even in some foreign published books, Philippine Islands din yung pangalan na nakalagay.

RP, PI, Pilipinas, Philippines, it's still the same place anyway.
    True, but those books probably mention it in context of the time the Americans ruled the country. Most books I read now use Republic of the Philippines which is the proper term for the country. I've never heard the President introduced as the President of the Philippine Islands. Let's at least be proud that we are a republic it's one of the things Pinoys can be proud of being, after all countless Pinoys died fighting the Spanish, Americans, and Japanese for this country to be called a republic.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Minsan nga yang P.I. parang acronym nung sa "pagmumura".

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Most of these Pinoys referring the Philippines as PI are those of who grew or lived under the Commonwealth era. Nakakainis lang minsan kasing pakinggan ang term na PI kasi parang we are still under the colonial rule. Pero OK lang kasi yun matatanda lang naman ang madalas gumamit niyan. Pagbigyan na natin, wala namang masama doon .

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyq8 View Post
    Most of these Pinoys referring the Philippines as PI are those of who grew or lived under the Commonwealth era. Nakakainis lang minsan kasing pakinggan ang term na PI kasi parang we are still under the colonial rule. Pero OK lang kasi yun matatanda lang naman ang madalas gumamit niyan. Pagbigyan na natin, wala namang masama doon .
    Not always they have the younger generation doing it here also. BTW my mom grew up during that era and she never says PI, only Philippines or Pilipinas because of the exact reason you gave it makes it appear like the country is still a colony.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We've always called it the Philippines. I call it RP when I'm feeling too lazy to type the whole name. Most GI's called it PI for The Philippine Islands in the same context as The Mariana Islands, The Ryukyu islands, The Palau Islands......Pacific WW2 campaigns. Most Americans who's never heard of the Philippines before call it Philippines. At least that's my thought on the matter. Maybe I read too much of my Dad's Ballantine books on the WW2 Pacific Thater.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 13th, 2007 at 06:38 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm..i dont see anything wrong with it.

Pinas, PI, RP, Philippines, Phillipine Islands...they are all the same to me.,,ang aking lupang sinilangan at pakamamatayan.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    Minsan nga yang P.I. parang acronym nung sa "pagmumura".
    Iyan ang double-meaning na sinasabi ni oldblue....

2101:banana2:

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    No big deal. It's not as if them calling the place PI directly threatens its sovereignity.

I'm somehow way more annoyed with the term "Flip". I've never been to America, and the first time I heard it from my Fil-Am cousins I went "WTF?!" Well, maybe I could excuse him, he's one of those (self-proclaimed) fliggas...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    first of all let me stress that i don't care all that much about RP or PI. it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

but a Fil-Am referring to his country of origin (and the people who still live there) by a colonial designation just reeks to me of 'feeling-superior' complex.

another note - i can't remember a non Fil-Am American referring to the Philippines as PI

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The only think I don't like is when they call us Philippinos. Darn it they can't spell right.

PI, RP, Pinas, Pilipinas, Philippines, I don't care. Why can't you just admit, it's an archipelago, meaning it's made of islands, so Philippine Islands is perfectly fine.

Meaning? What hidden meaning? If you think it has a meaning, then something's wrong with you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Why do Pinoys abroad refer to the Philippines as PI?