New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    This is from a comment made on another thread. I know the Philippines has been a republic since it's independence. But why do pinoys abroad call it PI instead of RP? AFAIK PI was a term used when the country was under American rule. I constantly correct people I know and some don't even know that the proper term now is RP.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    double-meaning kasi yan ser!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pansin ko din nga. My notion is, yung mga Pinoy na nasa ibang bansa they refer to the Philippines as PI ay para maiba sa atin. Para 'cool' ang dating nila.

Dati pa ako asar sa mga balikbayan/Pinoys abroad na ganyan. IMHO, the only acceptable abbreviations for Philippines is RP and Phils. Hell, even foreigners know that it's RP and not PI. Pa-cool lang sila mga nyeta.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I have a friend who moved here when she was in high school. I heard her once or twice refer to the Philippines as PI, but most of the time she says Philippines or Pilipinas. I don't think it's a case of being "cool" in her situation. I will ask her one of these days, but my guess is it was something taught in school. Some people here in the US have no knowledge of anything outside of their country.

The largest bank still refers to it as PI. It's in their name. Of course, they can't change it to Bank of the Philippines. That would cause confusion.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I just realized it was mostly pinoys abroad when I was in the Philippines for vacation and people used RP not PI. It's also because pinoys here use PI that other nationals now use PI which is somewhat annoying.
    Last edited by redorange; March 13th, 2007 at 03:22 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even in some foreign published books, Philippine Islands din yung pangalan na nakalagay.

RP, PI, Pilipinas, Philippines, it's still the same place anyway.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    I just realized it was mostly pinoys abroad when I was in the philippines for vacation and people used RP not PI. It's also because pinoys here use PI that other nationals now use PI which is somewhat annoying.
    Not so sure about that. I met this black person in New York and when I told him I was from the Philippines, he said, "Oh from the P.I.".

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing View Post
    Not so sure about that. I met this black person in New York and when I told him I was from the Philippines, he said, "Oh from the P.I.".
    The americans here I meet who use it say it's because they heard a pinoy use the term. Same reason given to me when a white co-worker called me a "flip", he says he heard a pinoy use it on another pinoy.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    as far as i know, it is definitely not a cool factor nor a negative term and it doesnt bother me at all. i do remember "pacific islander" on forms in addition to asian and thats what i thought when i read the topic of this thread. i also heard p.i. and flips from younger fil ams here.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    kaya wala akong account sa BPI .. dapat BRP..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Why do Pinoys abroad refer to the Philippines as PI?