New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    “The only thing that matters is who is behind the wheel.” -- Fast and furious

I believe this also applies to traffic. No matter how hard government tries to implement number coding, the driver will just change cars. That's why we now have a term for that car -- the "coding car".

Here's my take on this--- If you want to reduce the number of vehicles in a given time, reduce the number of drivers who are allowed to drive instead.

Imagine if we rethink the way we implement the number coding and re-conceptualize the vehicle plate numbers. Instead of the traditional vehicle plate number that is being monitored, let's focus on the drivers' license number. That drivers' unique license number is the one displayed on an "active" vehicle -- the one that is being driven. (Di ba kapag naka hit and run ang sasakyan, titingnan kung ano plate number tapos aalamin kung sino may ari, and then aalamin kung sino driver nung nangyari ang sakuna. Bakit hindi na lang ilagay license number ng driver sa sasakyan sa halip na plate number. Tutal ang hahanapin naman ay yung driver kung may aksidente or violation most of the time. Direct to the point ika nga.)

Anyway, going back to idea. What if automobiles will have a new 'plate number' maybe we can call it 'authorization number'. that number is the license number of the driver. How? Maybe each car will have a government-approved-monitored-security-enabled device where you need to insert your license. That device will only accept a valid drivers' license and have biometric sensor which will match the license inserted. That device will project the unique number from that license onto the plate holder of the vehicle. Your driver's license will be literally your key to drive.

The idea is, instead of attempting to reduce vehicles on the road on certain days, you will instead reduce the number of active drivers at a given time. Kahit 10 ang kotse mo, saklaw ka pa rin ng coding.

With this system, it will also be easier to identify hit and run drivers, robbers, assasins, etc. It will also deter unlicensed drivers, drivers with lots of violations (locking them out from driving vehicles), and suspended and expired licenses.

What do you think?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    So 1 car = 1 licensed driver.

So kung kami ni misis, dalawa dapat kotse namin. Tig isa kami at walang hiraman?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    So 1 car = 1 licensed driver.

So kung kami ni misis, dalawa dapat kotse namin. Tig isa kami at walang hiraman?

Good question. It should be 1 licensed driver to 1 car. But that driver's license number (perhaps the last digit of the license number) is not affected by coding on that day. If you and your wife can drive, and both of you are not affected on that day, you can drive both cars. If one is affected, then one of you has to hitch a ride with the other. The idea is to ensure a high chance that the two of you cannot take 2 cars for 2 days of the week.

It could also discourage buying more cars that there are drivers -- unless of course you want to change cars every non-coding day.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it seems complicated.

doubling the coded numbers seems a simpler idea.

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8
    9 0 1 2
    3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 0

many folks have two cars.
    fewer will have 3.
    and fewer still, 4 cars.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    Good question. It should be 1 licensed driver to 1 car. But that driver's license number (perhaps the last digit of the license number) is not affected by coding on that day. If you and your wife can drive, and both of you are not affected on that day, you can drive both cars. If one is affected, then one of you has to hitch a ride with the other. The idea is to ensure a high chance that the two of you cannot take 2 cars for 2 days of the week.

It could also discourage buying more cars that there are drivers -- unless of course you want to change cars every non-coding day.
    Then you are not reducing the volume of vehicles on the road.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it seems complicated.

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8
    9 0 1 2
    3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 0

fewer will have 3.
    and fewer still, 4 cars.
    Yes, that is simpler and can be implemented quickly. The downside is that it uses the old system -- relying on plate numbers and conduction stickers. It would still be hard to identify the driver, if the driver is doesn't have a license, or if the driver has multiple violations, or if the driver has a fake license, or if the driver is violating his/her restrictions, etc. etc.,

You can still do that with license-based plate numbers (doubling the coded numbers). It (the license-based plates) may take longer to implement but I think it has more benefits in the long run.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    Yes, that is simpler and can be implemented quickly. The downside is that it uses the old system -- relying on plate numbers and conduction stickers. It would still be hard to identify the driver, if the driver is doesn't have a license, or if the driver has multiple violations, or if the driver has a fake license, or if the driver is violating his/her restrictions, etc. etc.,

You can still do that with license-based plate numbers (doubling the coded numbers). It (the license-based plates) may take longer to implement but I think it has more benefits in the long run.
    i daresay, it'd be very effective.
    that is why the authorities don't want to implement it.
    maraming magagalit.
    heh heh.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    it seems complicated.

1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8
    9 0 1 2
    3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 0

fewer will have 3.
    and fewer still, 4 cars.
    Pasig scheme?

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    Pasig scheme?

if memory serves,
    i think the authorities originally meant it for everywhere metro. was it only pasig that adopted it?
    if one area observes one type of scheme, and the other adjacent area observes a different scheme, that guarantees a lot of confusion.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    if memory serves,
    i think the authorities originally meant it for everywhere metro. was it only pasig that adopted it?
    if one area observes one type of scheme, and the other adjacent area observes a different scheme, that guarantees a lot of confusion.
    Sabi mo nga doc. Backlash.
    Sa pasig ang daming nagreklamo. What more buong metro pa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast