New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    But I'm also not contented with the thought that it's just an accident. Pagkaganun parang bitin e.
    But sooner or later, science will be able to explain everything. And the bible? Faith lang lagi ang sagot.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    oliver1013 :
    But I'm also not contented with the thought that it's just an accident. Pagkaganun parang bitin e.
    that's exactly why people look for meaning in life

people want life to have a purpose

people want to believe that there's more to life than just cell division

coz the alternative (life having no purpose) is unbearable for most people

a belief in something, like eternity... a belief that there's something beyond this life... a belief that there's some kind of reward after this life...

that belief, that hope keeps people from jumping off buildings
    Last edited by uls; October 30th, 2010 at 06:14 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    sa science kasi, there's an explanation behind each " thing "

sa religion, like what uls said, there are things that cannot be answered

there's something lacking in those two perceptions in life that i guess, forever will be gone and unknown

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    George Carlin is the MAN!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o]George Carlin - Religion is bullshit. [/ame]
    Last edited by Monseratto; October 30th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    then came quantum physics(Einstein's hated offspring)...

and carbon(element which is said to have defied odds)...
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Here's the problem I see.

A lot of people who become agnostic do so because they see a flaw in the religion (Christianity especially in the Philippines). Yet ask any of these agnostics on the true meaning of Christianity and I believe most wouldn't even have a clue on what it really means.

A professor was once asking us about the true meaning of God sending Jesus Christ, and the true magnitude of His life, death and resurrection. It took a while before anyone answered, and so he commented, "How can you call yourself a Christian without knowing this? And to the non-believers, how can you dismiss the religion without knowing this?"

To me he has a point. A lot of people shun religion because they think they find a flaw, yet they are just misled.

I too am annoyed with the premise that if you don't understand anything, faith lang katapat niyan. It doesn't even have to be that way. You can have both religion AND science.

Growing up in a highly scientific environment I was inevitably exposed to science vs religion. I was highly skeptic about anything religion/faith related. But now that I've actually bothered to deepen my understanding, to learn more about religion, to actually study it and not treat it as a tradition that you get from your parents, I can actually see how they can actually reconcile each other. They don't have to clash. Clearly the Church before has made very wrong moves with regards to shunning science. But since Vatican II, things have changed.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    well, theoretical physics is funny to say the least...

science wants to explain everything... quantitative at best...

yet stumbles at quantum mechanics... too chaotic... too unpredictable... drove Einstein to madness that he can't accept it... he viewed the Universe as a single equation...

then there's string theory(???)... gravitons(???)(lol)... tachyons(???)(lol)... matter>antimatter... dark matter... dark energy... time dilation paradox... "imaginary time"(before observable time)... "imaginary space"(to compliment imaginary time)...

why should a single point expand at all? where from "imaginary space-time" did it come from? what is it like in the unobservable space-time? why does energy influence time and space through gravity(which is the weakest kind of force)? why is dark energy undetectable? why is it that when you split a string apart they form a whole string like the federal reserve(something out of nothing minus the inflation)?

what's funny though despite the apparent chaos... is that the chances of it actually happening were against the odds... approximately one over infinity... lol

in other words... I shouldn't be existing... at all...
    Last edited by safeorigin; October 31st, 2010 at 01:54 AM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hehe watching Mr Carlin's video and seeing him mock religion and the ten commandments, I just wonder what if there's no ten commandments, no Moses, Jesus Christ and God and all those biblical personalities, and instead we had Mr Carlin and his teachings.

That will be cool, I can carry my shotgun everyday and shoot them bus drivers whenever I feel like killing someone Or just walk in my neighbors house and blast him with my gun so I can covet his hot wife

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    there IS a God. and He created everything. but He cannot explain everything to us because our understanding is limited by our limited knowledge. it's like stephen hawking explaining to the neanderthals who don't even have a written language, that meat tastes better because the oxidation turns carbohydrates into ketones, and ketones generally smell and taste better... what God does is to reveal bit by bit a little of the universe, in a manner we can comprehend, as we crawl along in improving our knowledge. that is why it is taking a long time for us to understand the universe. it is because we would not understand any of it if God were to drop onto our laps the ultimate, all-encompassing equation...
    there is a God.. we just don't understand His language well enough.. yet..
    Last edited by dr. d; October 31st, 2010 at 02:06 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    oliver1013:
    Hehe watching Mr Carlin's video and seeing him mock religion and the ten commandments, I just wonder what if there's no ten commandments, no Moses, Jesus Christ and God and all those biblical personalities, and instead we had Mr Carlin and his teachings.

That will be cool, I can carry my shotgun everyday and shoot them bus drivers whenever I feel like killing someone Or just walk in my neighbors house and blast him with my gun so I can covet his hot wife
    let me re-word your point: if you're a non-believer, you don't have moral values, so there's nothing to stop you from doing bad things

it's like this:

before you act, you think about the consequences first

will your action cause harm to yourself and other people?

if i go out shooting people, the consequences are bad

you'll either be killed or thrown in jail

so it's not in your best interest to shoot people

people say the threat of hell stops people from doing bad things

if someone doesnt believe in hell, nothing will stop him from doing bad things

but even if there's no hell, there are still consequences for criminal behavior

society created laws that punish criminals with fines, imprisonment, even death

and even if there are no laws, there could be revenge from other people

like if you kill someone, the family or relatives of the person you killed can kill you too

that will make you think twice before doing bad things

that post above -- it's like saying -- "If it weren't for God holding me back, there will be nothing to stop me from shooting people"

If the only thing that stops you from committing mass murder is the threat of eternal suffering in hell, then there's something very wrong with you
    Last edited by uls; October 31st, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Pope: Stephen Hawking is wrong