New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    560,000 passengers per day x Php10 on the average = Php5.6M per day revenue. I wonder how much talaga operating expense ng MRT if lugi pa siya sa Php2B revenue per year

2. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    ^ Top expenses na naiisip ko sa kanila in no particular order

1) Bayad utang
    2) Electricity
    3) Salaries / Wages / Allowances <--- Baka nga dito pa lang ubos na hehehe
    4) Supplies sa maintenance ng facilities
    5) Spare parts ng train
    6) Spare parts that needs to be ordered overseas

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miLes View Post
    560,000 passengers per day x Php10 on the average = Php5.6M per day revenue. I wonder how much talaga operating expense ng MRT if lugi pa siya sa Php2B revenue per year
    2b is around 5m a day.

Sounds right.

I recall the government saying they subsidize the MRT by about 12p per passenger... so the ticket price is just 50% of that needed to simply break even.

Given the cost of operating the trains and the upkeep of the entire system, for a profitable MRT, passengers should be paying at least 30 pesos per trip, I think. Or, if they don't want to pay that much, wag nang mag-aircon.

Wanna play, gotta pay. Otherwise, we will never be able to spread the light-rail system to the rest of the metro.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    you also have to consider the fact that the trains aren't meant to carry that much people. Obviously, they will break more often than it was intended. Engineering can only do so much...

I'd rather have the trains (and all means of transportation) completely unsubsidized so it can operate optimally without being gutted by price control/regulation.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    you also have to consider the fact that the trains aren't meant to carry that much people. Obviously, they will break more often than it was intended. Engineering can only do so much...

I'd rather have the trains (and all means of transportation) completely unsubsidized so it can operate optimally without being gutted by price control/regulation.
    That's the problem.

There was a scathing editorial from the Rappler comparing the MRT to the Skyway, which had much of the ring of truth to it, but in the end, you have to consider:

Skyway users are rich, so they actually pay for the use of the Skyway, whose upkeep and further development are paid for by revenue.

And the Skyway doesn't just benefit the rich... almost all the provincial bus lines use it, too, for their express trips. Almost all of the Alabang-Manila buses I ride nowadays take the Skyway. The only exceptions are those picking up passngers from Sucat and Bicutan, and if you're late for work, you're not riding those.

The MRT, on the other hand, needs continuous subsidy. Unless and until we pay full price for its use, then that will be the way it stays.

The question is not whether the government is subsidizing poor commuters or rich car owners more... they ARE subsidizing commuters every which way... cheaper diesel for PUJs and PUBs, no restrictions on secondhand importation for PUBs, subsidized MRT and LRT rates... the question is how much they can afford to subsidize... and whether it's too much or too little. Personally, it's both.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    such is the consequence of a burgeoning population in a metropolis. transport requirements along with other resources will always remain insufficient

at the same time, the intensive urban development to cope with the rapid growth of migration from rural areas to cities will degrade the quality of life and the environment

a sustainable solution may lie in behaviour change towards walking, cycling, car pooling, driving habits, integrated travel modes, work scheds, etc. most of which are already being supported by some agencies

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'd say electricity and maintenance would be the primary expenses. Sadly both are insanely expensive. It's like owning an expensive, ultra high tech car, and not having the means to maintain it.

imho, parang bitin din ang capacity ng MRT to start with. The problem now is, how do you expand capacity for the long term? Malamang babakbakin mga riles/terminals to accomodate bigger/longer trains. Just imagine the traffic hell that will generate.

What's alarming is that the trains/tracks/etc are already pushed beyond their service life. It's only a matter of time before we have a major accident.

Mention ko lang: dati pa namang pila pila hanggang bangketa sa MRT, esp. at the endpoints...yet lately i've seen frequent media coverage on this. Almost seems like someone's out to blame Vitangcol for the mess.
    Last edited by badkuk; April 15th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Mention ko lang: dati pa namang pila pila hanggang bangketa sa MRT, esp. at the endpoints...yet lately i've seen frequent media coverage on this. Almost seems like someone's out to blame Vitangcol for the mess.
    Napag-tuunan na ng galit si Al... :hysterical:

Parang sinabi na rin ng gobyerno na maglakad o magbisikleta na lang tayo....

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My take on it is that we should remove all subsidies on the MRT and let people pay full fare, even if it would cost 50 pesos, end to end. This would lessen the usage of the MRT to people who would need to go to their destination faster.

Then, all buses in EDSA should ply only EDSA, from MOA to Monumento vice versa. No buses going to other destination should pass on EDSA. Bus stops should be 500 meters apart. As I had noticed, a lot of people are waiting for specific buses at the bus stops but unfortunately either they arrive a the bus stop full already or the frequency is not that many during rush hours. With this scheme, all people can get a move on, irregardless where their destination is, no more cherry picking of buses. Hubs in key points of EDSA will allows passengers to travel to the next leg of their journey. Buses for that leg should be frequent since they have a shorter route to run.

Plus of course you change all the buses from the current model to those being used by Green Frog. Low flooring, big doors for easy ingress and egress. Minimal seating. Sana na lang nga ganito:

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Plus of course you change all the buses from the current model to those being used by Green Frog. Low flooring, big doors for easy ingress and egress. Minimal seating. Sana na lang nga ganito:

Articulated/"bendy" buses? Mahirapan ata yan sa EDSA:

- given the way some bus drivers drive, baka magkabuhul buhol yung bus natin
    - granted that matino mga bus drivers, kawawa mga to sa mga jeep, taxi, and especially MCs na kung sumingit e parang walang halaga ang buhay.
    - mukhang sasayad yan given the potholes and inclines

The bigger doors are definitely a good thing. Baka mamenos menos din ang pagpara niyan when people can get in/out faster.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Palace to MRT passengers: Try other modes of transportation