New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [SIZE=2]If the Philippines is a car, what kind would it be?

Would it be a jeepney? This American WW2 military surplus that was turned into a public utility vehicle by Pinoys hasn't changed after several decades. It still has the same shape that comes with a long list of design shortcomings: uncomfortable and cramped passenger seating position and layout, high floor / low ceiling that makes getting in and out difficult, rear door that allows exhaust fumes to enter the passenger space, unergonomic fare collection system (the driver has to extend his right arm rearwards), etc. The jeepney, because of its U.S. military origins, had a strong chassis that could have been a good platform for an SUV. Had it been given design changes, the jeepney could have been able to take advantage of the SUV trend. No such improvements were made and an opportunity was lost.

The Philippines, after being colonized by Spain and the U.S.A. and in spite (or because of) having democracy, the English language, public institutions, an education system, religion and entertainment being rammed down our throats, we're still stuck at third world status with rampant corruption, poor public services, high crime rates, etc.

How about other countries?

Singapore would be the Porsche 911. An auto journalist for Road&Track magazine once described the 911 as a car with a bad concept, brilliantly executed. The reason is the 911's engine is at the rear end - not a good place to put an engine because all that weight at the rear end will affect handling. But German engineering has tamed the car's tail-happy tendency and the 911 is highly regarded by motoring enthusiasts.

Singapore has a virtual one party political system (the opposition parties are negligible) - a bad concept. In the rest of the world, having a one party rule is a recipe for disaster. But not in Singapore. Through iron-fisted governance, this city-state was able to transform itself into from third world to first world status and is now known for its excellent government services, world class public transportation, low crime, low corruption and clean public places.
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think you nailed it on the head... jeepney lang talaga yung metaphor for the Philippines.

When it was first launched, the jeepney was full of the promise of a bright tomorrow and economic progress.Yet our people concerned themselves more with exploiting the fruits of this miracle for profit instead of improvement.

Now, decades later, we're still stuck with the same old jeepney. Unwilling to change, unwilling to look forward from the past, and dying a slow death of obsolesence in a rapidly changing global marketplace.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think the Philippines is a Chery. it sucks right now, but if it heeds the lessons and history of the Korean and Japanese automakers, it has the potential to be good :2thumbsup:

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Nah I wouldn't call it a Chery. I am not an optimist of our country, while I am very optimistic for the Chinese car makers and China as a whole. We are always going to be a backwater country (accept na lang my sorry sa mga patriots out there) and so I say we are the pedicab Slow......

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, i have to be positive sometimes :D

lagi na lang kasi ako napagbibintangan na kontrabida eh :cry2:

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    pedicab = crude,rude,jolog,irritating,no sense of law and order/direction,fragile.

sounds pretty close to our situation here in this country...i just hope and pray that we can get our act right...i really do hope that i dont have to leave this country in order to search for stability and peace.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Yes, the pedicab is now the "King Of The Road".....

6000:mobile:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    well, i have to be positive sometimes :D

lagi na lang kasi ako napagbibintangan na kontrabida eh :cry2:
    Hehe... tama na iyak bro. Hindi ka naman nag-iisa.

Just imagine if all Filipinos turn hopeless. Right now, it all boils down to the number of hopeful Filipinos left and those who already gave up.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    siguro a Honda civic that has all the ricey stuffs and what have you and thinks that he is faster than an porsche..

in tagalog, bulok naman and yet tingin sa sarili eh sila pa rin ang pinakamagaling/pinakmaganda sa buong mundo...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The motorized Pedicab...same as above but at least innovative enough to add a water pump gas motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
If the Philippines is a car...