The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 6, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/06/the-best-room/

The Best Room

Read: 1 Peter 4:7-14

Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. —1 Peter 4:9

During a January research trip to Germany, I was dismayed to learn that we would be staying at a monastery. I pictured an austere place with no heat, cold stone floors, and hard beds. Instead, I found a warm, welcoming, comfortable room. My colleague said, “The monks believe in treating their guests as they would treat Christ.” Though they don’t live in such comfort themselves, they are content.

Robert Herrick, a 17th-century English poet, wrote:
    Christ, He requires still, wheresoe’er He comes,
    To feed, or lodge, to have the best of rooms:
    Give Him the choice; grant Him the nobler part
    Of all the house: the best of all’s the heart.

It may seem easier to welcome Christ into our heart than to open our life to others. Whether it’s a room in our home or time in our schedule, too often we treat people as intruders rather than guests.

The apostle Peter wrote: “Above all things have fervent love for one another, for ‘love will cover a multitude of sins.’ Be hospitable to one another without grumbling” (1 Peter 4:8-9).

We honor Christ by giving Him the best room, our hearts, and by offering willing hospitality to others.

I am Yours, Lord, yet teach me all it means,
    All it involves of love and loyalty,
    Holy service, full and glad surrender,
    And unreserved obedience unto Thee!
    —Bennett

To know love, open your heart to Jesus. To show love, open your heart to others.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 9, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/09/the-life-that-matters/

The Life That Matters

Read: 1 Peter 5:1-7

Remember those . . . who have spoken the Word of God to you, whose faith follow. —Hebrews 13:7

Isaac Hann was a little-known pastor who served a small church in Loughwood, England, in the mid-18th century. At the close of his ministry, the membership of the church numbered 26 women and 7 men. And only 4 of the men attended with any regularity.

In this age of mass media and mega-churches, who would consider this a successful work? In our world today, Isaac Hann would be considered one of those pastors who never quite “made it.” He certainly wouldn’t have been invited to speak at pastors’ conferences, nor would he have written articles on church growth.

Yet, when he died at 88 his parishioners placed a plaque on the wall of their meeting house that remains to this day. It reads in part:

Few ministers so humble were, yet few so much admired: Ripened for heaven by grace divine, like autumn fruit he fell;

Reader think not to live so long, but seek to live as well.

First Peter 5:5-6 comes to mind: “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time.” Reverend Isaac Hann “made it big” in a way that matters—humility before God and a reward in heaven. We can too.

True greatness does not come to those
    Who strive for worldly fame,
    It lies instead with those who choose
    To serve in Jesus’ name.
    —D. De Haan

Humility is the recipe for success.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 11, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/11/copy-me/

Copy Me

Read: 1 Cor. 10:23–11:1

Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. —1 Corinthians 11:1

As we sat at the table one day last week, my oldest son began protesting about his little sister “always” copying him. When she imitates his laugh or eats her French fries before her burger like he does, it annoys him. My wife and I tried to get him to realize that he has an opportunity to influence her by setting a good example.

Unlike my son, Paul invited others to copy his example (1 Cor. 11:1). In this verse, he concluded his discussion from chapter 10 about the Corinthians loving others enough to limit their freedom. He said that when they were invited to a nonbeliever’s home for dinner, they were free to eat what was set before them (v.27). But if their freedom to eat the meat offered to idols caused another believer to question whether or not what they were doing was right, they were to limit their freedom for the good of the “weaker” believer (v.28).

Paul encouraged the people to follow his example in this matter, in the same way he followed Christ’s example. Paul did not seek his own good, but the good of others by imitating Jesus’ example of love, unity, acceptance, and sacrifice.

In the same way, we are to follow Jesus’ example so closely that we can say with confidence to our brothers and sisters, “Copy me as I copy Christ.”

Show me the way, Lord, let my light shine
    As an example of good to mankind.
    Help them to see the patterns of Thee,
    Shining in beauty, lived out in me.
    —Neuer

Live a life worth imitating by imitating Christ.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 12, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/12/cherished-connections/

Cherished Connections

Read: 1 John 4:7–5:1

We, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. —Romans 12:5

When I heard that David was in the office for a board meeting, I was excited. He and I had a mutual friend, Sharon, who had died several years earlier. We had a few minutes to reminisce about her and her love for life and God. What a delight to connect with someone who has loved someone you have loved! There’s a special bond because you love to talk about that cherished person.

Those who know Jesus Christ as their Savior have even stronger ties. We are forever connected to Him and to one another. “We, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another,” Paul says in Romans 12:5. We’ve been “born of God,” and we love those who are “begotten of Him” (1 John 5:1).

When we get together with fellow believers, we have the opportunity to talk about the one we love—Christ—and of the love, forgiveness, and grace we have experienced in Him because of His death and resurrection (4:9-10). At such times, we can encourage each other to continue to trust Him and spur one another on to be faithful in our walk with Him.

This coming Sunday and throughout the week, let’s remind fellow believers of all that Jesus has done and of how truly wonderful He is.

We Christians have a kinship with
    All others who believe,
    And from that bond of faith and love
    A mutual strength receive.
    —Hess

The more you love Jesus, the more you’ll talk about Him.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 16, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/16/love-for-one-another/
    Read: John 13:33-35

By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. —John 13:35

You have to work hard to offend Christians. By nature, Christians are the most forgiving, understanding, and thoughtful group of people I’ve ever dealt with. They never assume the worst. They appreciate the importance of having different perspectives. They’re slow to anger, quick to forgive, and almost never make rash judgments or act in anything less than a spirit of total love. . . . No, wait—I’m thinking of golden retrievers!

I laughed when I read this in an e-mail. But having had experience with goldens—and fellow Christians—I think it’s true that sometimes believers are just too easily offended! “The choir director always gives her the solos.” “The pastor didn’t even look at me when he shook my hand.” “I do a lot around here—people ought to appreciate me a little more.”

Anger. Resentment. Pride. Sure, issues between believers do sometimes need to be addressed. But what if we always tried to treat others the way we want to be treated (Matt. 7:12), weren’t quick to judge others but forgave them (Luke 6:37), and demonstrated a little humility? (Phil. 2:3).

And what if the world could actually recognize that we are followers of Jesus by the love we have “for one another”? (John 13:35). Is this true of us?

Lord, let me be a shining light
    In all I say and do,
    That Your great love displayed in me
    May lead someone to You.
    —Sper

Sometimes the best witness is love.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 17, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/17/true-prosperity-2/
    True Prosperity

Read: Mark 10:17-23

How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! —Mark 10:23

A few years ago, the banking empire Citicorp ran a series of billboards about money: “Money changes hands—just be sure it doesn’t change the rest of you!” and “If people say you’re made of money, you should work on your personality!” These ads gave a refreshingly new perspective on riches.

God also has a surprising spin on wealth. From His perspective, you can be “well off” when it comes to worldly treasures and yet be in dire poverty in your soul. Or you can be poor in terms of earthside stuff and be lavishly rich by God’s standards.

The distorting power of wealth reminds me of the story of the rich young ruler. After a discussion about eternal life, Jesus asked him to sell his possessions, give to the poor, and follow Him. Unfortunately, the man “went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions” (Mark 10:22). This prompted Jesus’ lesson to the disciples: “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!” (v.23).

It’s not that Jesus is against wealth. It’s just that He is grieved by anything that we value more than Him. We can work hard and make money, but when those things are the main pursuit of life, then Jesus isn’t. Placing Him first and foremost in our lives is the key to true prosperity.

He possessed all the world had to give him,
    He had reached every coveted goal;
    But, alas, his life was a failure,
    For he had forgotten his soul.
    —Denison

Don’t let riches—or the pursuit of riches— derail your pursuit of Jesus.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 18, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/18/ruts-and-routines/

Ruts And Routines

Read: Daniel 6:1-10

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust. —Psalm 143:8

Summer is my favorite season. I love the leisurely days when I can set aside some of my routines without feeling guilty. Doing new things, seeing new places, and allowing myself the time to take “the scenic route” revive my spirit and renew my enthusiasm for life and work.

But summer can also be a dangerous time of breaking good habits. Certain routines are good. They increase our efficiency and ensure that important things get done. After all, we need to have fixed times and places for certain things or the world would be chaotic. Creation is designed to operate on schedule, and, as part of it, so are we. We need food and sleep at regular intervals.

We sometimes hear legitimate warnings about allowing routines to turn into ruts. But the Bible indicates that having set times for certain things is good. David indicated that morning was the right time for him to praise God and ask for His direction (Ps. 5:3; 143:8). And Daniel prayed three times a day, and not even the threat of death made him change his routine (Dan. 6:10).

While enjoying carefree days, we must not become careless about spending time with God. Savoring spiritual sustenance is a routine for all seasons.

You’ll go forth a little stronger
    With a fresh supply of grace,
    If each day you meet the Savior
    In a secret, quiet place.
    —Adams

Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. —Isaiah 40:31

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 19, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/19/mozart%E2%80%99s-pet-bird/

Mozart’s Pet Bird

Read: Psalm 104:1-13

The birds of the heavens . . . sing among the branches. —Psalm 104:12

Mozart is revered as a genius of musical composition. In one instance, he was even inspired by the melody of a bird. Mozart had a pet starling whose song so fascinated him that some say he wrote a piece of music based on the melody he heard in the bird’s chirps.

Birds were also an inspiration to the psalmist. In Psalm 104, he praises God for caring for the living creatures He put on the earth. Included in his observations are birds who fly in the heavens above, perch in the branches of trees, and sing songs of heartfelt joy: “The birds of the heavens have their home; they sing among the branches” (v.12). Nature filled the psalmist’s heart with praise to God, and I think that must have included the musical sounds of the birds.

Often the marvels we see in creation prompt us to worship. This theme is repeated throughout Scripture: “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork” (Ps. 19:1). Creation’s stimulus to praise need not be limited to the visual. It can also be widened to include hearing nature’s songs. As we go about our daily routine, we can tune our hearts to the melodies God has placed in His creatures and let them serve as an added springboard of praise to the Creator.

As Mozart added the song of a bird
    To a musical innovation,
    Let’s all add our voice to the worldwide song
    Of praise to the God of creation.
    —F. Hess

All of nature is a grand symphony conducted by the Creator.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 25, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/25/sunshine-chaser/
    Sunshine Chaser

Read: Ecclesiastes 2:1-11

I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure. —Ecclesiastes 2:10

Diana and Dave love to ride their jet skis on the lake, skimming across the water on warm sunny days. But one morning the weather was cool and mostly cloudy, and Diana couldn’t convince Dave to go out. So she went on her own. It was so cold that she flitted back and forth across the lake, trying to keep herself in the sunshine for some needed warmth. But every time she reached a sunny area, the clouds moved and it quickly turned to shade. Realizing the futility and silliness of chasing the sunshine, she finally gave up because it didn’t bring her what she wanted.

King Solomon did another kind of chasing that couldn’t bring him satisfaction (Eccl. 2:1). In the first 11 verses of Ecclesiastes 2 alone, he mentions that he chased after pleasure, laughter, wine, wisdom, houses, gardens, money, possessions, and music. But his evaluation was that “all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun” (2:11). Those pursuits were empty—“vanity of vanities” (1:2). He wisely concluded: “Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all” (12:13).

Are you chasing after some of the same things that Solomon was? It’s a vain pursuit. Purpose and satisfaction come only from knowing and obeying God.

Chasing after empty pleasure
    Will not satisfy one’s heart;
    But to those who follow Jesus,
    Life’s fulfillment He’ll impart.
    —Sper

Only God can fill an empty heart.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    August 26, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/08/26/older-or-better/
    Older Or Better?

Read: 2 Cor. 4:16-18

Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. —2 Corinthians 4:16

We know we’re getting older when we say things like, “Can you believe how young those professional baseball players are?” And it’s a sure sign of aging when we no longer ask, “How are you?” but say, “Hey, you look terrific”—as if we’re surprised.

Aging is inevitable. Unfortunately, society has taught us to fear advancing age and to disguise its reality as much as possible. But aging can actually be a wonderful thing. Followers of Jesus have the capacity to get significantly better with age. As Paul put it: “Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day” (2 Cor. 4:16).

Just as there are physical signs that reveal we’re getting older, there are signs that show we are getting better. Rather than becoming more crotchety, intolerant, and unloving, the maturing follower of Jesus grows better at forgiving, loving, and caring. Growing older is a continuation of the journey to become more like Jesus, which means that as time goes on our heart and attitudes should increasingly resonate with and reflect the compelling character and winsome ways of our Savior.

So as we grow older, let’s embrace the opportunity to become spiritually more like Jesus. Our friends will notice that we look better with age.

The seeds of aging sprout in youth,
    As weeds or grain they’re sure to grow;
    But if we sow with love and truth,
    A golden harvest we can know.
    —D. De Haan

Don’t just grow older— grow better as a follower of Jesus.

Daily Scriptures and reflections [continued]