New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 125 123451151101 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 8, 2010 "our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/08/false-predictions/
    False Predictions

Read: Matthew 24:36-44

Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age? —Matthew 24:3

News that a solar eclipse would take place on July 22, 2009, brought an alarming prediction. It was predicted that the eclipse would sufficiently affect gravitational pull, causing tectonic plates to “pop a seam,” resulting in a sizable earthquake and a subsequent devastating tsunami in Japan. The US Geological Survey responded that no scientists “have ever predicted a major earthquake. They do not know how, and they do not expect to know how, anytime in the foreseeable future.”

There have also been many false predictions about the date of Christ’s second coming—despite our Lord’s emphatic words: “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only” (Matt. 24:36). Christ told His followers that instead of trying to predict the date of His return, they should “watch” (v.42) and “be ready” (v.44).

Peter warned, “The day of the Lord will come like a thief.” Then he added: “What kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives” (2 Peter 3:10-11 NIV).

Striving to live for God—that’s what Jesus wants us to focus our energy on while we wait for that “blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13).

When someone says, “I can discern
    Exactly when Christ will return,”
    Don’t be deceived or led astray—
    The Lord said we can’t know the day.
    —Sper

Look for Christ’s return, and you’ll live for Christ’s glory.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 9, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/09/show-up-before-you-speak-up/

Show Up Before You Speak Up

Read: Matthew 5:11-16

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father. —Matthew 5:16

There was a time when a certain West Coast city may have been one of the most hostile places to the gospel in America. Posters in coffee shops advertised witchcraft meetings where you could learn to cast a spell on your enemies.

It was such a challenging environment for churches that they struggled to get building permits from the city council. And there was a lot of “woe is me” talk among church leaders. Until a group of pastors began to meet to pray regularly and then decided to take the love of Jesus into their city. They started a ministry to the homeless, to those suffering with AIDS, to teens at risk. Faithfully and intentionally they brought the love of Jesus to the needs of hurting people. Before long, the city agencies started calling on them for help. Better yet, the churches started growing as people responded to the gospel in action.

Which proves the point: Sometimes you’ve got to “show up” before you speak up. No one really wants to hear what we have to say about the love of Jesus until they’ve seen it in our lives (Matt. 5:16). Then even the most ardent opponents to the gospel may just be glad you’re in their town, their office, or their neighborhood. And then you just might be able to tell them about Jesus.

Let us go forth, as called of God,
    Redeemed by Jesus’ precious blood;
    His love to show, His life to live,
    His message speak, His mercy give.
    —Whittle

When you share the gospel, make sure you live the gospel.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 12, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/12/a-spiritual-journey/

A Spiritual Journey

Read: Acts 17:22-31

You turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God. —1 Thessalonians 1:9

The miracles that God worked through Moses challenged the many gods of Pharaoh. Yet, in another time, there was a Pharaoh who promoted the belief in one deity. Pharaoh Akhenaten pointed to the rising and setting sun as the great deity who gave life to the earth. His religious symbol for Aton, the sun god, was represented by a single disc of light with emanating rays. Though this Pharaoh’s idea came closer to the one God of the Bible, it was still idolatry.

When Paul addressed the people in Athens, he was grieved by the idolatry in that city. Yet he used the people’s imperfect understanding of God to point them to the God of Scripture. Of their efforts in trying to find God, Paul said: “God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands” (Acts 17:24).

In our increasingly pluralistic world, the people around us may worship a multiplicity of deities. Yet their spiritual journey need not end there. We never know when someone might be moving toward the kingdom of God. Following the example of Paul, we should respect a person’s religious background, watch for spiritual receptivity, and then point him or her to the one true God of Scripture.

A Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to lead the lost away from all that is false. And to lead them to You—the one and only God— who alone offers true life. Amen.

God alone is worthy of our worship.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 13, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/13/the-poor-among-us/

The Poor Among Us

Read: Deuteronomy 15:7-11

If there is among you a poor man of your brethren . . . you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand. —Deuteronomy 15:7

Francis Chan, in his book Crazy Love, tells of a family with an interesting Christmas tradition. On Christmas morning, the Robynson family doesn’t focus on opening presents under the Christmas tree. Instead, they make pancakes and coffee, and serve the breakfast to the homeless. This is a small but creative way to show God’s love and generosity to the poor.

God expected this kind of generosity from His people. In Deuteronomy 15, Moses emphasized the reality of poverty and how the more affluent must deal with it. They were warned of four dangers:

A hard heart, ignoring the needs of the poor (v.7).

A closed hand, withholding what the poor lacked (v.7).

An evil thought, hesitating or refusing to loan money to the poor because the year of canceling debts was nearing (v.9).

A grudging spirit, a reluctance to satisfy the needs of the poor among them (v.10). Not only were they warned about selfishness, but more important, they were encouraged to be spontaneously generous (vv.8,10,11).

Among God’s people, there must always be a spirit of generosity toward the poor. Let’s open our hearts and our hands.

One grace each child of God can show
    Is giving from a willing heart;
    Yet, if we wait till riches grow,
    It well may be we’ll never start.
    —D. De Haan

Generosity stems from the heart that has experienced God’s grace.
    Last edited by dxx_ddf; July 14th, 2010 at 03:40 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 18, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/18/a-last-farewell/

A Last Farewell

Read: 2 Timothy 4:6-22

I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. —2 Timothy 4:6

After being diagnosed with terminal cancer, 47-year-old Randy Pausch returned to Carnegie Mellon University to deliver a final lecture to colleagues, students, and friends. The professor of computer science thought that perhaps 150 people might show up. Instead the 400-seat auditorium was packed. For an hour, Randy opened his heart to them in a humorous, insightful, and moving farewell that was focused more on living than dying. Within weeks, the videotaped lecture had been seen by millions on the Internet and later became the seed of a bestselling book. Those facing death often have an unusually clear perspective on what is truly important in life.

The apostle Paul’s last farewell has inspired countless followers of Christ through the centuries. “The time of my departure is at hand,” wrote Paul. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith” (2 Tim. 4:6-7). Paul’s instruction to Timothy spans the ages to challenge us as well. The letter begins and ends with God’s grace (1:2; 4:22) and in between is a celebration of the unceasing faithfulness of God.

A message from the dying can give purpose to the living. Paul’s triumphant finale, “To Him be glory forever and ever” (4:18), is a message we can all live by.

Do we live our lives for what will last
    Or for what will fade away?
    Are we striving for the world’s praise
    Or for Christ’s “well done” one day?
    —Sper

If we are ready to die, we are ready to live.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 22, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/22/don%E2%80%99t-just-retire/
    Don’t Just Retire

Read: Numbers 8:23-26

They may minister with their brethren . . . to attend to needs. —Numbers 8:26

The first people to climb Mt. Everest, the world’s highest mountain, were Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1953. Hillary was just 33 years old. His feat afforded him fame, wealth, and the realization that he had already lived a remarkable life.

So, what did Hillary do for the next 55 years? Did he retire and rest on his laurels? Absolutely not.

Although Hillary had no higher mountains to climb, that didn’t stop him. He achieved other notable goals, including a concerted effort to improve the welfare of the Nepalese people living near Mt. Everest—a task he carried on until his death in 2008.

Did you know that God told the Levites to retire from their regular duties at age 50? (Num. 8:24-25). But He did not want them to stop helping others. He said that they should “minister with their brethren . . . to attend to needs” (v.26). We cannot take this incident as a complete teaching on retirement, but we can see a godly implication that continuing to serve others after our working days are over is a good idea.

Many people find that when they retire they have nothing meaningful to do with their time. But as the Levites and Sir Edmund Hillary did, we can refocus when we retire—giving of our time to help others.

The Lord will give you help and strength
    For work He bids you do;
    Serve others from a heart of love
    Is what He asks of you.
    —Fasick

Life takes on new meaning when we invest ourselves in others.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 23, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/23/confidence-in-what/

Confidence In What?

Read: 1 Corinthians 10:1-12

Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. —1 Corinthians 10:12

While walking through a home-improvement store, I saw a man wearing a bright red T-shirt bearing this melancholy message: “Confidence: The feeling you have just before you understand the situation.”

I laughed at this humorous concept, but I also realized that the shirt carried a sane and sound warning. It’s a reminder to all of us who try to get things done through confidence in our own ability or credentials but without consciously trusting in the strength of God. If we think we can accomplish life’s tasks in our own strength, that false confidence will inevitably become our undoing—and we’ll collapse under the weight of our own failings.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians about this by recalling ancient Israel’s penchant for self-confidence and self-sufficiency. He described everything the Israelites thought they had going for them; then he told how they had turned those benefits into a license to sin and an almost arrogant confidence that would prove to be their undoing.

Paul said their self-confidence should warn us. His conclusion? “Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall” (1 Cor. 10:12). Psalm 118:8 shows us the best way: “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man,” or in ourselves. Where is your confidence?

Let all who think that they can stand
    Take heed lest they should fall;
    These words remind us of the truth
    That God is Lord of all.
    —Branon

Confidence in Christ is the right kind of confidence.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 27, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/27/lessons-of-obedience/
    Lessons Of Obedience

Read: 1 John 2:1-11

This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. —1 John 5:3

When young Kofi came home after Sunday school, his mother asked him what he had learned that morning. His quick reply spoke volumes: “Obedience . . . again!”

Although I’m many years older than Kofi, I agree that obedience to God is a lesson that we must, sometimes reluctantly, learn over and over again.

Oswald Chambers wrote: “The Lord does not give me rules, but He makes His standard very clear. If my relationship to Him is that of love, I will do what He says . . . . If I hesitate, it is because I love someone I have placed in competition with Him, namely, myself.”

When we are obedient, we show God that we love Him and have more faith in Him than we do in ourselves. Arthur W. Pink said that love is “a principle of action, and it expresses itself . . . by deeds which please the object loved.” To obey God means to relinquish what we want and to choose to do what He asks.

God requires the obedience of His followers, and Jesus placed great importance on it. He asked, “Why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?” (Luke 6:46). And He issued this challenge: “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15).

To say we follow Jesus Christ
    Without attempting to obey
    Reveals our lack of faith that He
    Will lead us right in every way.
    —Sper

Obedience to God is an expression of our love for God.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 29, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/29/show-your-colors/
    Show Your Colors

Read: Romans 1:8-16

I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes. —Romans 1:16

I was excited about going to the baseball park to watch the Detroit Tigers play the Chicago White Sox. I proudly put on my Tigers T-shirt that morning before going to the opposing team’s stadium. But I had to wear a sweatshirt over my team’s shirt because it was cool outside. So I was disappointed that no one at U.S. Cellular Field could see which team I was there to cheer for. No one knew I was a Tigers’ fan. After a 3-hour rain delay, the game finally started and I could cheer for my team and get my loyalty out in the open.

The apostle Paul had a loyalty that was most definitely out in the open—a loyalty to Jesus Christ. He wrote to the believers in Rome, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ” (Rom. 1:16). He knew that the gospel was “the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes” because Jesus had dramatically changed his life and its direction. In his preaching and witnessing, he proclaimed Jesus, the One to whom he had given his whole life (Acts 9).

The believers in Rome were also known for their allegiance to Christ. Paul said of them: “Your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world” (Rom. 1:8).

Is your loyalty to Jesus out in the open?

God put us in this darkened world
    To shine as sons of light,
    So, let us always teach the truth
    And keep our colors bright.
    —D. De Haan

Our loyalty to Jesus should be seen and heard in our lives.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    July 30, 2010 "Our Daily Bread" http://odb.org/2010/07/30/garbage-island/
    Garbage Island

Read: Genesis 1:20-28; 2:15

The waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. —Genesis 1:10

The other day I ran across a troubling report about people who think it is acceptable to use the ocean as a giant garbage dump. Here is an excerpt: “If you should see this amazing floating pile of plastic in the Pacific Ocean, it’s called ‘The Great Pacific Garbage Patch.’ It features three million tons of plastic debris floating in an area larger than Texas. An eye-popping 46,000 pieces of plastic float on every square mile of ocean!” Other sources estimate the amount of garbage is even bigger. Plastic is especially bad because it does not dissolve.

During our sojourn on earth, we have been charged, like Adam, with taking care of the earth and its creatures that God has given us. Genesis 2:15 says, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.” God delights in what He has made and this extends to the sea and all that live in it (1:10,20-21).

This world should remind us of the greatness of our Creator and serve as a springboard of praise to Him. Indifferently using it as a garbage dump mars its beauty and threatens the creatures that live here. Showing respect and caring for the land, the ocean, and the air is our duty as believers in Christ.

For Further Study
    To learn about our responsibility to care for the world God has created, read Celebrating The Wonders Of Creation online at www.discoveryseries.org/q1108

Caring for God’s creation is the believer’s duty.

Page 1 of 125 123451151101 ... LastLast
Daily Scriptures and reflections [continued]