New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Una kong nakita itong art exhibit na ito sa ANC. Talaga namang nakakapangilabot yung ginawa nung artist.
    The name of the artist is Mideo Cruz.

`Blasphemous’ art vandalized

(posting image as posted at inquirer.net)

MANILA, Philippines—A Jesus Christ poster featuring a wooden penis glued to his face that has sparked protests in the mainly Catholic Philippines was attacked and damaged by vandals on Thursday, an official said.

An unidentified couple smashed a penis-motif wooden ashtray glued onto the poster and tried but failed to set fire to the entire collage, said Karen Flores, visual arts department chief of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. One of the vandals then gave a lecture on morality to the lone guard assigned to the exhibit and other visitors before the couple casually walked out of the government building, Flores told Agence France-Presse.

“The exhibit will continue,” Flores said, adding the attack may have been linked to an outcry over the exhibit that church leaders and Catholic groups want ended on the grounds it is blasphemous, immoral, offensive and illegal. The artist has been told of the vandalism and he agreed to continue to exhibit his work, she added.
    The controversial collage, by local artist Mideo Cruz, is part of an exhibit showcasing works by alumni from a church-run university aiming to challenge people’s perceptions of figures they idolize.

It also includes a cross made of discarded wood with a woodcarving of a penis attached, and an icon of Jesus that has a red clown nose and Mickey Mouse ears. Exhibits by two other artists, which have neither provoked the same public response, were also damaged in the attack, Flores said.
    The CCP has earlier rejected call for the exhibit’s closure, saying it was covered by freedom of expression guaranteed by the Philippine Constitution.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Buti may tolerance dito sa pinas, though this crap is hanging to it by a fine thread.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    As much as I appreciate art and whatnot, I think the artist went overboard on this one. I'm sure he knows that it's bound to create an uproar. I personally think that's exactly what the artist intended... To become well-known, the controversial way.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i agree..... from a nobody to somebody..... publicity... whether bad or good is still publicity....... kapag pinansin yan eh lalong matutuwa yun artist nyan.....

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Malamang bading yung artist...obsessed eh

pwede naman keps o boobies...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    They call this a piece of art?! This only shows how our society has degenerated. Even a 4-year old can stick anything on a picture. By using a penis on Jesus' face, it only shows how sick and irreverent the artist is. Definitely a dumbass arrogant faggot, who deserves a slap on his face. If he can't respect God, the religious, nor the faith of this country, then he shouldn't expect respect from anyone.

Pweh!:thumbdown::error::nono:

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Although i understand why everyone is against Mideo Cruz (poor guy), i don't get the intensity of hate and judgement he's getting from, well almost everyone. I also criticize him for using sacramentals in his "art" but the amount of bad publicity he's getting is just too much. You do realize that the installation art in question has been in exhibits since 2002?

Art is an expression. I know, that there's a limitation to that freedom of expression. At alam kong ang iba sa inyo iniisip na b.s lang yan. Ano ba yang art, art na yan? But the simplest thing here is, kung hindi nyo gusto yung mensahe nya, then move on. Hindi nyo gusto. He is not imposing his idea on you. Art is meant to be seen, to instigate, to form thoughts. Hinding hindi nya pinipilit sa inyo na magustuhan nyo ang art nya. Why judge the person (when in fact hindi nyo naman alam yung intention nya when he created the piece) kung ano pagkatao nya. Tanungin natin sarili natin, talaga bang dapat tayong magalit kay Mideo Cruz? Sa mga aminadong hindi marunong tumingin ng art, ask yourselves bakit ako naooffend sa art work nya. Kapag nasagot nyo yun, eh di maganda. Then let us all move on.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ts1n1ta View Post
    Art is an expression. I know, that there's a limitation to that freedom of expression. At alam kong ang iba sa inyo iniisip na b.s lang yan. Ano ba yang art, art na yan? But the simplest thing here is, kung hindi nyo gusto yung mensahe nya, then move on. Hindi nyo gusto. He is not imposing his idea on you. Art is meant to be seen, to instigate, to form thoughts. Hinding hindi nya pinipilit sa inyo na magustuhan nyo ang art nya. Why judge the person (when in fact hindi nyo naman alam yung intention nya when he created the piece) kung ano pagkatao nya. Tanungin natin sarili natin, talaga bang dapat tayong magalit kay Mideo Cruz? Sa mga aminadong hindi marunong tumingin ng art, ask yourselves bakit ako naooffend sa art work nya. Kapag nasagot nyo yun, eh di maganda. Then let us all move on.
    On the contrary, Mideo Cruz IMPOSED his ideas on all Christians by choosing as the subject of his art our Lord Jesus Christ whom all Catholics respect and deeply love.. If he had hung condoms on the ears of his mother and put a penis ashtray on her head and declared it as art, then we couldn't care less. There is a big difference between FREEDOM and LICENSE. With freedom comes responsibility and trampling on the sensibilities and ridiculing symbols that people hold dear is not only irresponsible but downright criminal on his part. Mideo Cruz is nothing but a "trying hard to be avant-garde" mediocre artist. I am more shocked by his insensibility and bad taste than his defacement of a religious icon.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buriroy View Post
    On the contrary, If he had hung condoms on the ears of his mother and put a penis ashtray on her head and declared it as art, then we couldn't care less
    pag ito siguro ang inexhibit puwede na itong tawaging art. we dont have to ask ourselves anything and we can all move on

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by buriroy View Post
    On the contrary, Mideo Cruz IMPOSED his ideas on all Christians by choosing as the subject of his art our Lord Jesus Christ whom all Catholics respect and deeply love.. If he had hung condoms on the ears of his mother and put a penis ashtray on her head and declared it as art, then we couldn't care less. There is a big difference between FREEDOM and LICENSE. With freedom comes responsibility and trampling on the sensibilities and ridiculing symbols that people hold dear is not only irresponsible but downright criminal on his part. Mideo Cruz is nothing but a "trying hard to be avant-garde" mediocre artist. I am more shocked by his insensibility and bad taste than his defacement of a religious icon.
    Errr sorry, but no. ART is not made to IMPOSE ideas. You are to appreciate it or criticize it. If you are moved by the art, then good. If not, then it's okay, too. Besides, I don't think "Poleitismo" piece is meant to offend God. Do you think he is attacking GOD? On the contrary it is about the people who for so long have been, disrespecting God by sinning despite knowing what is right and just. Pano kanyo? Ganito na lang, many of us have been claiming that we are good Christians, and yet we are materialistic or we have perversions; we watch ****, we lie and cheat to our wives/husbands. Hindi ba parang "ginagagao" mo na din ang Dyos nun? Ngayon, ano kaibahan nun sa artwork ni Mideo Cruz? Why turn it against the person who can literally represent what we all have been doing on canvas as art. Many of you say that its tasteless, I agree. He could have made an abstract representation of those images he desecrated. Pero ito lang, you don't need to get personal. Who are you to say that he's a "trying hard avant-garde-mediocre artist". Do you even know what being an avant-garde artist is? What do they do. Do you have license to say that? Do you in every respect know the classifications to be an artist? tama ba ako?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast