New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No. 2.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I agree with Wolverine-- it depends on the terrain. He's already mentioned mud but forgot rock crawling or sand. On sand or rock crawling, a fully locked (front & rear) 4x4 even with street tires will perform better than MTs and open diffs.

In Moab you'll find some wheelers with street tires or ATs but running fully locked diffs. MTs are useless with one tire in the air but even street tires will grip dry rock.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that means i should invest on lockers and ATs because we often trail on lahar terrains.

thanks for the replies.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It might be a good investment on diff lockers first. Then match them with your simex muds. ;)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    LOCKERS ko aaccording to some peeps and experience....

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Due to the expense, most will suggest mt's pero if cost is not a problem go for the lockers. madali na palitan tires.

suggestion for toyota owners, ARB is not your only choice. you can get an automatic locker that keeps the tires locked unless you are turning. It is way cheaper ang simpler to install. May drawbacks lang.

for comparison, auto lockers will cost arnd 10 to 25 thou depending on what you get. I saw one for a land cruiser 10 lang. air, electric or other selectable lockers average 30 plus.

If you really want something cheap, just change to a spool. in other words, no more diff. or have a shop weld all the spider gears together.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a welded diff would make the truck pretty unstreetable unless it has something like manual hubs i suppose?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    welded front yun pero welded rear, walang magagawa, everytime you turn chirp yung gulong. pero ito pinakamatibay na "locker"

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diffs are there for a reason. pag ginawang "posi" yan.... well.... its good for drag racing! hehehe

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Olive Drab
    that means i should invest on lockers and ATs because we often trail on lahar terrains.

thanks for the replies.
    Huh? Doesn't make sense... Lockers with ATs are better on non-mud trails than open diffs and MTs... However, lockers with MTs are still best overall. Why spend money on ATs when there are so many muddy trails in the Phil? If you can afford to lock both diffs, you might as well spend a little more and get MTs over ATs. MTs will also work on sand. Just air down to 12-16 psi.

I've driven on the Pinatubo area lahar trails numerous times and airing down works.

Good luck and have fun...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
which will have better TRACTION?