curious lang ako..
    which will have better TRACTION? (mud)
    1. ordinary 4x4 on mud tires
    2. 4x4 on A/T tires but with lockers

my guess is #2. comment?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

lockers has an advantage talaga
    Last edited by kimpOy; July 4th, 2003 at 08:42 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Iba ang principles ng lockers compared to tire threads. Tires will be useless if power from the engine is transferred to less traction side.

I should site what happened when I was observing a pickup trailing on mud terrain with LSD. Even if the LSD is operating normally, locking both left and right wheels, the AT tires did not have that grip on muds. (maybe the pickup has a lighter body?)

I'd vouch for diff lockers with AT tires anytime! :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i guess that mud tires would do better in the mud.

kasi naka lockers ka nga, pero yung wheel mo dumudulas naman because AT lang sya. parang useless din.

ps: haka-haka ko lang to ha

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by tebs
    i guess that mud tires would do better in the mud.

kasi naka lockers ka nga, pero yung wheel mo dumudulas naman because AT lang sya. parang useless din.

ps: haka-haka ko lang to ha
    i agree. kasi nasubukan ko yung 02 ranger 4x4 with AT sa putikan. susme, umiikot nga yung apat na gulong pero di naman makaahon.

pero ako lang siguro yun.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    id say #2. Aanhin mo naman ang MT tires kung umiikot fruitlessly (traction loss)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lockers din ako. At least the power gets to the ground.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Actually this is a very interesting question and tricky too. The answer to it all depends on the terrain you re driving on. If the terrain is uneven and there is the potential for one tire on either end to lift above ground, then you are better of with A/T's using lockers because the tire with some traction will continue to try propelling you forward.

If however, the terrain is also muddy but on level ground, the equation changes. If i were to put you on clay soil,with about 1 inch of the surface being wet, your A/T's would just spin all day but not move you forward. The surface would be too slick and your shallow treads would be completely covered with clay making it look like a slick tire. The M/T would be able to dig better and expel the shallow clay better than the A/T and could reach the drier portion of the surface thus enabling you to have traction. And since both tires are planted on the surface, both would be spinning because the load on the axles are equal.

In other words, if you anticipate a lot of flexing and suspension articulation, go with the lockered A/T. If it's just a mud run, stick with the M/T.

The best combo is to have a lockered A/T and chains in your truck for the really nasty clay or mud. Hope this answered the question. Happy Trails!

9. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Tama si wolverine. but I'd go with mud tires. much cheaper than lockers. And from experience locked AT's still don't get you anywhere on mud. Pero swampers ko usually get me out in 2H. Btw, Kasama ko si Bogart kanina sa payanig and dala yung ranger. at the first sign of mud, stuck na. All four tires were turning pero lubog na to the frame yung ranger

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm for mud tires. Lockers make sure the tires have power, but if they dont have grip its useless.

I also remember reading that mud tires seldom spin uselessly. They are designed to dig as they spin, until they can find something to grab onto. You can also use left-foot brake as a substitute for a locker, in dire emergencies.
    Last edited by splerdu; July 5th, 2003 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
which will have better TRACTION?