New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx
    ako analogy ko ganito:
    torque parang diesel engine while horspower parang gas. puwede mong istart from standstill on 2nd gear ang diesel while sa gas, baka mamatayan ka ng makina unless you step on the gas more and slip the clutch.

another thing to confuse you is the characteristics of the L300 gas as compared to the 2.0l engine of the adventure. mas torquey (IMO) ang sa L300 gas pero may higher top speed ang adventure. hth
    Best check the numbers on that.

The venerable 4D56 whether NA or turbo gives out max torque at 2000rpm

The turbo gives about 24 kg-m with 96ps *4500rpm if I remember correctly.

The gasoline engine of mitsu on the L300 is simply a gas guzzler with all the weight it has to haul, and I yet have to see any petrol engine from Mitsu that can get that performance at a pricepoint enough for an L300.

2. Heretic Guest
    Toyota Corolla 1.6: hp: 118ps*6000rpm torque: 160Nm*4400rpm weight: 1075kg
    Hyundai Matrix 1.5: hp: 104ps*4000rpm torque: 235Nm*2000rpm weight: 1370kg

Despite weighing 295kg/649pounds more, our Matrix could get to a faster start than our Corolla. It can only reach up to 4000rpm, but arriving at this range is faster. Perhaps it's because of the high compression nature of diesels that gives them the better low-end grunt. It losses though on peak speed. Going beyond 160 takes a slower pace while the Corolla could sustain its burst better on the higher rpm range.

But then, the Matrix has a turbocharger.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    That is why for most city driving applications I prefer Diesels.

For those sudden stops and quick runs in between stop lights or evil busses.

Can't beat the mileage too.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    yup, diesels almost symbolizes Torque...
    i also like it better than HP coz when you have high Torque you are capable of running inclines effortlessly, minimal downshifting (40kph at 5th gear) thus can maximize fuel economy because you aren't always running within the range of the powerband.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    BMW is on a continuous pursuit of building diesels that are efficient yet as fast as gasoline counterparts. Now, their 2-liter diesel is faster than the gasoline version of the same displacement, not to mention more economical.

Going back to torque, it's also important to take note of putting all of it on the road. If you know the Mercedes 6.5-liter engine with 1000 Nm of torque, you'll spend all day just spinning the wheels and moving nowhere. The tires don't have enough grip to handle all that grunt, so you will need to switch the traction control on.

Power, on the other hand, is also important, but take into account where that power is available (I mean RPM). Yes, many bought the Civic SiR because of its promising horses in just 1.6 liters, but it is only useable in the high rpm range. It also lacks torque, so it is only enjoyable at straightaways; other 1.6 cars can beat it in inching out of turns and city traffic.

A good engine should have a perfect balance of power and torque - too much of one with respect to the other isn't ideal.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Despite being more powerful and loaded with beefy torque, the diesel variant of the BMW 5-Series is actually slower than its petrol version twin. Even at launch, the petrol engine dashed faster than the diesel engine-equipped 5series. Perhaps it has something to do with the power curve/linearity and proper gear ratios. Diesel engines are heavier, so it would actually hurt the performance in driving dynamics. But in fuel economy, it's obvious that the diesel engine would win.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Is there a diesel car or SUV than can outrun its gas counterpart? Im still looking for one.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i agree. when a vehicle is at rest torque is applied in motion(inertia) - you cannot rely on the horsepower to do that. but these two work hand in hand. torque is what you need to overcome the dead weight - thus converting it to mechanical advantage. once the torque is maxxed out, the horspower rating applies. the more torque your engine has, the more "muscle" it has- whereas the more horse you have the more sprint you have.

i've been victim of the common misconception of the two: Hp & Torque. but when i got myself a turbo diesel pick-up from a sedan- whoa, what a rush! especially when the turbo kicks in. but it takes time getting used to it. because of the enormous torque, it seems so slow to pick-up a speed, which is true. ever notice that the torque and horsepower are inversely proportional? the higher the horsepower you have, most like you'll get as little torque as possible.

for me, i rely more on torque.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andre
    Is there a diesel car or SUV than can outrun its gas counterpart? Im still looking for one.
    meron na yata. take the case of BMW 1-series. both displacement, 1 gas and 1 diesel engine. yet the diesel has been far more superior in torque and horsepower rating in the same body. translate: more power means more speed...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    More speed in a straight line, yes... but diesels are very heavy. The 120d doesn't quite have the same light feeling as the 120i in the corners.

Torque does tend go down when horsepower goes up, but only if we're talking about engines of the same size, and not including turbocharged engines... because then torque and hp are mostly dependent on turbo sizing. But that's only when you talk about economy engines. A lot of the newer performance engines still maintain a good amount of torque and make a whole boatload of HP more than their more sedate stablemates. Variable timing, lift and intake tract allow some engines to make both more horsepower and torque than their old versions.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Torque vs Horsepower -- how do you use it?