New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    4jgtootsie, my 97 strada is 4D56 rotary na.

well, somehow safe location ng alternator ko--> upper right side, na nacocoveran ng kalahati ng "non-easy-removable" cover ng engine bay...

so ok na ding IC-integrated to..
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; August 16th, 2007 at 09:18 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    TD27, TD25, BD25, TD42, SD23 are example of old school Nissan diesel engines. Old school diesel engines are winner in terms of reliability because they have no electronic parts. Yung Alternator lang pinaka electronic.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    counted na ba sa old school ang 4ja1?

Although DI na siya, the only thing electronic in it is the alternator (AFAIK).

Very easy to maintain, very reliable and yes, very slow. Had some improvement in changing the air filter to open racing type. Still saving for the headers and the exhaust.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    OM617 & OM602 Mercedes Benz In-line 5 3L Diesel Engines.

No sweat eating 500,000 kms in the clock.
    iam3739.com

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    OM617 & OM602 Mercedes Benz In-line 5 3L Diesel Engines.

No sweat eating 500,000 kms in the clock.
    Don't forget the OM616 (2.4L inline 4), OM603 (3.0L inline 6), OM615 (2.0/2.2L inline 4) engines!

Yup, here's what our previous wagon had on the odometer. Yup, that's in miles!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    old school ba kamo?? my good old ISUZU 4FB1 a.k.a Gemini'... using a voltage regulator "new era" brand ,wala I.C at diode yung alternator nito...hehehe

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Isuzu Crosswind. Can't get any more old-school than that.

No ECU, No CRDi, No timing belt or chain (direct gear-driven cams only).

No power, either, but you can't have everything...

The only things missing from the Crosswind to make it a perfect "Apocalypse" car is four wheel drive, a snorkel and locking differentials.
    niky, i think the 4JA1 is still relatively newer school although late 80's sya ginawa. much older are it's older brothers the C-190 and C240. Indirect inject, w/ glow plugs pa and kelangan ng choke mechanism to kill the engine when you're turning it off. I once drove a fierra-look alike utility jeep in Mindanao. They call it zebra, isuzu C240 engine. when I was trying to turn off the engine, you had to pull a wire to choke the engine so that it would stop running. Nakikita ko yun dati sa mga old jeepneys that had isuzu engines.

siguro yung ng 4BA1's on jeepneys are samples the classic old school diesels of isuzu. mabibilis din tumakbo ang mga yan, I once followed a jeepney running at 120kph in a provincial road.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I am fan of anything diesel. Old and new school. During my younger years isuzu geminis redefined the auto/taxi industry by using diesel mills on cars (atleast sa P.I). I was so impressed with it that it began interest towards oil burners. With a keen eye on the past present and future, is see the series 60 of detriot diesel as a benchmark for design for a true world class engine. Here are some of the qualities i find impressive in this engine. Short ports for efficient air flow and pumping losses, Gasket eliminator for reduced service time, Iron crosshead pistons, they alloy the rings to be closer to the top to reduce dead volume above the top ring, Fluid weep hole that ensures external leakage and easy identification of source. The newest DD engine which replaces the series 60 is the DD15 which cost $1.5 billion in R&D. Its innovations are a Flywheel Turbine, Amplified Common Rail System (its between a HEUI and a common rail), Integrated Jacobs brake and the becomming standard EGR and DPF (diesel particulate filters).
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; January 26th, 2008 at 01:18 AM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sirs:

I would call any non-electronically controlled injection diesel engine "old school", although there are a wide variety of types.

1) Those with Pre-Combustion Chambers - Mercedes (Daimler) Benz, Caterpillar engines

2) Those with Turbulence Chambers - (usually Ricardo Comet III to V series), like the Isuzu C-190, C-220, C-240 and the Gemini's 4FB1, Mitsubishi 4DRx series, Nissan SD series, Mazda WL-x and R series

3) Early Direct Injection engines - Isuzu mainly, some Nissans, the MAN diesels,

The earliest of these engines use in-line jerk pumps - ask dieseldude, while the later models used distributor-type pumps.

Since they are purely mechanical, no electronics were necessary to make them run. In fact, when they refused to start, the easiest way to get them to run was to push or tow them. Try that on your CRDi!

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
"old school" diesels