New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    peeps, what would make an engine "old school"?

ano ung advantages niya, aside from possibly lower maintenance costs? pagkaintindi ko, engines like these will do well with flood fording, basta wag lang pasukan ng tubig ang intake. Very little electricals, so it should keep chugging along even when wet. tama ba?

meron pa bang mga old school diesels in the market?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    yep... for me, old school diesel engines are more dependable in hostile areas. They are more easier to maintain. Less electricals, no system box makes no hindrances in water fording.
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    um, automatic ba na pag naturally aspirated, tapos mechanical injection, old school na?

or does it have to be older than that?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For me, as long as there's no ECU and it's not finicky to fuel quality then i consider it old school enough... D.I. can still fall under that maybe. Such engines are the 4D56, TD27, TD42, 4M40... and the Jeepney Isuzu diesels...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May 'old school' automatic transmission din. Yung mga wala pang electronic controls.

Old school engines mostly yung from the 70's and 80's na in production pa din hanggang ngayon.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Old school diesel engines are mostly built of cast iron which are very unlikely to have headgasket/warpage problems. This is the reason they are so darn reliable and bombproof. My MB diesel friends all have these, they range from the slow but uber reliable 240D's (2.4L inline-4 66hp normally aspirated diesels) to the 300DT's (3.0L inline-5 123hp turbocharged).

We once had a chance to own an '81 300TD with 369k miles on the odometer. I'm confident to say it's never been rebuilt although I could be wrong. It can still run 100++ kph on the highway no problems sobrang tibay talaga.

The old school diesels usually still have the glow plugs to warm the pre/chambers to start the engines. Meron pang old school diesels in the market pero syempre they're almost always second hand cars na unless some manufacturers still produce them to this day.

Doc Otep is right, even the transmissions of our cars are vacuum-controlled, not electric!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    OT: What is vacuum door locks?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Isuzu Crosswind. Can't get any more old-school than that.

No ECU, No CRDi, No timing belt or chain (direct gear-driven cams only).

No power, either, but you can't have everything...

The only things missing from the Crosswind to make it a perfect "Apocalypse" car is four wheel drive, a snorkel and locking differentials.
    Last edited by niky; August 16th, 2007 at 11:05 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    OT: What is vacuum door locks?
    These are old school power door locks (popular on old Benzes) which used engine vacuum instead of electric motors to drive the central locking system.

I have converted to electric actuators already.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Newer diesel engines are all Electronically monitored and controlled.It has the ability to program engine to limp, derate and shutdown when it feels the engine is in danger. Efficiency and emission is there prime concern.

Old school has no electronics or engine management. You can run the engine until it explodes if you really want to. Easier to diagnose and predictable. Medyo mas malakas sa diesel than EFI.

Badkuk, old school engines have less problems in floods since electronic shorting and failure is non existent. Engine wash is not a nightmare.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
"old school" diesels