New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    forgive me for my apparent ignorance...been a shiftstick user eversince i learned how to drive.

for the current gen 4x2 honda cr-v a/t, and i believe for most other current vehicles with an a/t, there is an o/d or overdrive switch.

to save on fuel consumption, should the o/d be on or off?
    or would there be ideal conditions, for the sake as well of fuel economy that the o/d should be used or not?
    can it be switched on or off while driving (wouldn't wanna break the thing)?

thanks a lot for any info...i really don't know anything about it.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    The thread below under "Similar Threads" has further links to other threads that discuss this at length... HTH.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i really don't know how an o/d works, pero based on what i hear dun sa mga at users, dapat nga daw naka on ang o/d for efficient fuel consumption.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    the links are dead already, i checked. maybe we could start another one. i for one also want to know when to use O/D. thanks kasi galing din ako sa manual e.

O/D off -> hangang 3rd gear lang (for 4 speed A/Ts not sure about the 5 or 6 speed A/Ts).
    O/D on -> shift to the highest gear.

always leave O/D on.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    but when do you use O/D? aside from when its traffic, since many say na di ka rin aabot kasi sa 4th gear. is there a general rule? i often use O/D when going uphill like the zigzag roads in bataan.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Eto na lang... Click on the Search and type overdrive... It will yield the ff. results:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10537

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9332

Naiba na yung thread IDs...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Overdrive should be on if you want to save fuel and normal driving.

Overdrive off should be used if you need more power because its rpm is quite high, due to downshift to 3rd gear instead of 4th in a normal automatic overdrive on.

You can switch the overdrive on off as you wish, but try limiting it when you really need it. IMO, i dont turn off my od even if i need power, i have a power mode on my automatic tranny that helps me accelerate in times of need.

comments above are correct. if you also want the tranny from NOT shifting back and forth from 4th & 3rd (vversa), turn the OD OFF, e.g when going up say, Antipolo via Sumulong or Marcos Hiway Baguio at slightly higher speeds. This way 3rd gear ka most of the time. Long uphill climbs is another point also.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    so does this mean na its more ecomical to have th O/D on during city driving??? some says na mas mahina arangkada kasi when it on kaya you consume more fuel... is this true???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
to o/d or not to o/d