New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Pajero GenIII is the perfect sample of monocoque design SUV. While the Pajero GenII is the chassis-ladder frame sample.

Pajero monocoque body

Pajero chassis

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    glenn,

generally mas matibay ang monocoque design kesa body-on-frame design... the whole body shell IS the support

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Interesting. Seems even offroaders are split between the two???

My two cents on this issue is that manufacturers that sell large SUV volumes are better off economically with monocoques. I mean, these large volumes never set foot on trails anyway, so Sir Otep's very valid concern, from an offroader's perspective, for flexing/traction of ladder frame designs most likely have no bearing on the market's buying decisions who are only buying SUV's for their sheer size/mass.

But for niche players like Land Rover, now that's another matter. But then again, even the new Range Rover is already monocoque. Hmmmmm. Wondering if the Defender is next.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my 2001 suzuki grandvitara xl7 has the ladder frame and I'm happy with it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think it's unlikely for the Defender to go monocoque... The biggest customer for it is the British military, and they want the vehicle to stay the same... On the other hand, most civilian buyers do want something that is more usable on-road, in which case they can opt for the Range Rover or the Discovery.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i want my off road rig to be ladder frame, solid live axle and coils on all four with cherrry on top thanks you.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kimpOy::: You forgot to list your factory spec rear lockers. :D

Well, as most of my comrades agree... underpinnings of an LC80 and GQ Patrol will be enough for me. :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    UNGAS yun yung cherry on top, factory spec rear lockers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ah okies... kala ko kasi si Cherry yung tinutukoy mong on top sa iyo. :bwahaha: :bwahaha: :bwahaha:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I like both simply because they both have advantages in certain situations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ladder Frame vs. Monocoque - SUVphiles, Kanino Kayo?