New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Originally posted by Ungas
    Ah okies... kala ko kasi si Cherry yung tinutukoy mong on top sa iyo. :bwahaha: :bwahaha: :bwahaha:
    bad Cherry hehehe :D:D :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    15Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Originally posted by mbt
    glenn,

generally mas matibay ang monocoque design kesa body-on-frame design... the whole body shell IS the support
    Beg to disagree. And so would truck and real 4x4 builders, I believe.

The whole-body-shell concept is exactly why you will not want it for heavy-duty loads. Once it twists, it stays twisted --the ladder-type frame flexes back *and* can be reinforced with more cross-members. And pulling/pushing forces acting on the vehicle will deform a monocoque body out of shape, thus misaligning doors (a close friend of mine had a relatively simple head-on collision but the doors where affected on his Nissan Pathfinder), pushing engine parts/components where it shouldn't be (yes, I've seen it on a hardcore Jeep Cherokee), and generally heading the vehicle off for scrap. And then try to imagine what a 12,000lb. winch can do trying to pull a stuck car out...

Monocoque bodies are designed for soft-roading. And please, no need to mention about Paris-Dakkar rallies. :D That competition is mostly about marketing products. There are no conclusive studies that such "tests" accurately reflect years of real-world consumer vehicle reliability. And besides, those vehicles are heavily modified and there are no post-mortem reports on how good/bad the vehicles' and parts were after the race. The said overall winners are of the Super Production Car class.

However, if one wishes to pursue the argument, the stock car category in Paris-Dakkar Rally is more applicable for guys like us. Only the tyres, springs and shocks, night lights, roll cage, seats, and GPS equipment are modified. I can give you a good guess on who won that category (Diesel engine, Production Car class) for about 2(?) years now

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    drexx,

in response to jeepcruizerph's question, i was referring to the crash safety characteristics (and not load-carrying capacity or stress capacity) of a monocoque versus a body-on-frame... isn't it true that a monocoque design is inherently more capable of better, more controlled deformation (by diffusing the force of the crash across a larger structure)?

not to say that body-on-frames can't be designed to have good crash characteristics though

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    15Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Originally posted by mbt
    drexx,

in response to jeepcruizerph's question, i was referring to the crash safety characteristics (and not load-carrying capacity or stress capacity) of a monocoque versus a body-on-frame... isn't it true that a monocoque design is inherently more capable of better, more controlled deformation (by diffusing the force of the crash across a larger structure)?

not to say that body-on-frames can't be designed to have good crash characteristics though
    Oh, OK :D I agree with you on this.

BTW, anong Tagalog ba ng "safety" ?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "kaligtasan"? hehehe

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    The LC80 is two time winner, stock with little modifications lang like the fuel cell and roll bars. Am i right? and if i remember it correctly it is the only diesel engined vehicle to do it in its class.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Ladder Frame vs. Monocoque - SUVphiles, Kanino Kayo?