New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    To all sta fe owners no offense! Since the thread is about SUV. IMHO Korean car makers still have to prove when it comes to durability and resale value. For you to buy a korean made vehicle you have to be a risk taker and willing to sacrifice at the end! In the US people buy it's becoz of the offer 100,000t mi. warranty and sta fe SUV price way too low and offers huge discounts that's why consumers take a risk. They don't care of the low resale value at all because they could buy the vehicle way cheaper by $10,000 compared to toyota 4runner. But the CONS is based on my friend's experience the hassles and stress of going back and fort to hyundai service the vehicle ddn't even hit 30,000mi. the $10,000 discount not even enough to pay it off. The PROS is it has softer ride and features wise I would say yes! My opinion is if sta fe is 500,000 pesos cheaper in ph compared to any japanese SUV's there maybe i wud change my mind and i will just have to make it sure na may back up car ako evrytime ma irepair sa casa!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    By: juneljrGLS'05
    But the CONS is based on my friend's experience the hassles and stress of going back and fort to hyundai service the vehicle ddn't even hit 30,000mi

This is true. It's really stressful to go backl & forth to Hyundai casa + sometimes e may nalilimutan pa sila mga screw na hindi naiibalik. Stressfull talaga. Ala pa 3 years starex namin pero sakit na ng ulo... Close ko na nga associates ng HYUNDAI kababalik-balik ko sa kanila e. Last week may kasabay ako 1 Starex & 1 Getz pareho kami warranty. Yong 1 starex ala pa 2 years & only 30t kms e pull down na agad trans.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    We're able to convince pa 5 of my cousins to buy Hyundai & Kia when we bought our starex. 4 of them also bought STAREX & the other 1 get the Sorento. The sorento also go back & forth to his casa because of allignment issue & busted relays, while 2 of my cousins starex also experience my problems.

At first we thought we hit the jackpot when we bought our starex coz of it's features, aircon & nice ride, e hindi pala. Sa totoo lang sometimes it's very stressful & frustrating to own this kind of vehicle. Imagine katatapos lang warranty ng 1 problema & hoping na ok na sya then after sometime e may lalabas na naman na new problem....

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    It seems that Korean cars has been battling with image problem or better say, perception problems since you know when. I for one still view Koreans cars as inexpensive,low quality cars but then that was before, (or maybe not,lol). It seems that the Sonata change it all but were talking about SUVs right? Santa Fe's been selling like cupcakes but then who wouldnt buy a nice looking, cheap SUV with a great review from "uhrmmn" Consumer Reports, plus the lure of 10 year powertrain warranty?

I was thinking that the quality must be better for Hyundai to offer a longer term warranty but then there's the number of Hyundai SUV owners who frequented the dealerships for never ending repairs. And so the 10 yr warranty is just another marketing strategy to attract new buyers and of course, the array of repairs wont cost Hyundai that much due to quantity purchase.And most car buyers would only cling to their vehicles from 3-5 years so i guess Hyundai is betting on that notion.

That fact is, Korean cars has gone a long way.The Sonata is a great car and the VeraCruz can't just be ignored but then when you look at it in plain view, it's still a Hyundai (and i hate myself for saying that but then it's all because of image and perception).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kokey View Post
    This is true. It's really stressful to go backl & forth to Hyundai casa + sometimes e may nalilimutan pa sila mga screw na hindi naiibalik. Stressfull talaga. Ala pa 3 years starex namin pero sakit na ng ulo... Close ko na nga associates ng HYUNDAI kababalik-balik ko sa kanila e. Last week may kasabay ako 1 Starex & 1 Getz pareho kami warranty. Yong 1 starex ala pa 2 years & only 30t kms e pull down na agad trans.
    And you think that doesn't happen to Japan-made SUVs?

Here's my short checklist of problems in my Japan CBU SUV:

- front & rear shock absorber replacement
    - steering has an inherent pull to the right
    - defective front disc brakes
    - aircon foul up
    - dirty throttle body
    - etc, etc, etc

And oh, all those happened before the 40K mark.

Japanese quality my arse... in the end, pare-pareho lang sila halos ng mga Koreans, American, Europeans.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    SUVs?
    I'll choose the Santa Fe over the RAV4, Outlander and CRV.
    I'll choose the Veracruz over the Pilot and Highlander. That's because I like the design of these Korean SUVs and at least here in the States, but I can't speak for other countries, you pay less for more, more standard features that is, plus their 10 year warranty only means they can stand behind with their products. Also Hyundai just built the most high tech (so they say) facilities here and they also have a proving ground somewhere located north of LA to test their vehicles to the limit. Don't get me wrong I like Japanese vehicles, I'm a proud owner of a Honda minivan and a Toyota sedan. Kung may advantage man ang mga Japanese vehicles ay konting konti lang. Kung may naiiwan man sa quality, reliability and technology ay ang mga American vehicles. So for me, if I'm in a market for a new vehicle, it doesn't matter if it is a Japanese or Korean brand as long as it is not an American brand.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    OT: *kokey - +1 sa iyong hyundai casa, at least me ginagawa sila, although you also have to sacrifice some of your time when you turn in your unit. mas gusto ko na ito kesa sa honda, who had an issue before about the "bird poo poo" thingy na naging talk-of-the-town dito sa tsikot. meron ding naging kaso sa 2003 isuzu trooper. toyota has its own problems about D4D, etc.

pero in the end, ang pinaka importante ay kung me full support ba ang mga casa at inaasikaso ang mga reklamo natin, yung bang tipong hindi ka ii abandon in the middle of nowhere, with you holding an empty bag.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juneljrGLS'05 View Post
    To all sta fe owners no offense! Since the thread is about SUV. IMHO Korean car makers still have to prove when it comes to durability and resale value. For you to buy a korean made vehicle you have to be a risk taker and willing to sacrifice at the end! In the US people buy it's becoz of the offer 100,000t mi. warranty and sta fe SUV price way too low and offers huge discounts that's why consumers take a risk. They don't care of the low resale value at all because they could buy the vehicle way cheaper by $10,000 compared to toyota 4runner. But the CONS is based on my friend's experience the hassles and stress of going back and fort to hyundai service the vehicle ddn't even hit 30,000mi. the $10,000 discount not even enough to pay it off. The PROS is it has softer ride and features wise I would say yes! My opinion is if sta fe is 500,000 pesos cheaper in ph compared to any japanese SUV's there maybe i wud change my mind and i will just have to make it sure na may back up car ako evrytime ma irepair sa casa!

i was able to compare our company vehicles, a 1st gen Santa Fe(2002) , Hyundai Terracan and 2002 Mitsu Pajero in China(also Rav4, Venture). they were used on-road(long trips) and a little off-roads. 2005 laspag na Mitsu at Venture while the 2 Hyundai's ( at 200k kms) were at very good condition, door slams still solid considering same driver at users lang and the chinese drivers themselves said the 2 hyundai's are the least to go to the casa for maintenance.

these what convinced me to get a SF over other japanese suvs in Phil.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kokey View Post
    [SIZE="4"]Jap made vehicle I think is still more durable..[/SIZE]

i would just think that if you've had bad experience with the "old" Hyundai models, you'll junk them.
    but if you have both new model Jap and Korean cars now, you'll pick the later.
    i'll drive my Santa Fe over my new Civic given it is here in Philippines.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Swerte swerte lang. Pajero ko V6 I bought brand new pero defective ang front right alignment na d magawa ng casa so what did I do punta ako sa banawe doon sa nagtayo ng strut nung napunit sa 3 series bmw ko. Masmagaling pa taga banawe sprinter ung shop cor sta. catalina for alignment issues.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Japan  VS  Korea  SUV