New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    150
    #1
    Mga Bro... Ask ko lang ano ba ang pagkaka-iba ng rotary engine sa in line engine with regarding to fuel consumption and maintenance?

  2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    447
    #2
    Inline engines are when Pistons are "lined up" in front of each other. This is a great layout because it gives more room in the engine bay for mechanics to use and more reliable, using less parts and fuel efficiency.



    rotary engines are mosre complicated...
    Rotary engines uses "rotaries" instead of pistons. This triangular shaped disc is very unique since it doesn't have any pistons in the engine. The rotary is quite unique since it spins to combust the fuel inside the chambers. It puts out better performance and reliability and fuel economy is quite low. Unlike pistons where you replace them after 110,000+ miles when cracked, the rotaries have tiny blades on the three points. These blades actually slides against the chamber walls causing friction and eventually wearing out the blades which in total doesn't create a tight seal when combusting fuel. THese are actually required to be changed every 30,000 miles or so. Mazda is known today as the only manufacturer to use the rotary engines on their performance model lineup, the RXs. RX-1 to RX-8. Also the Eunos Cosmo also sported a two rotary wankel engine back in early 90s.


    pros of rotary
    1. more hp at an unbelievable engine displacement... 300hp on a 1.3L engine
    2. intense level of rpm
    3. reliable

    cons
    1. needs constant change of the rotaries
    2. gas mileage is very low even with its low engine displacement
    3. low torque.. relies on speed build up.. no ommmfff
    4. on older models, start up problems because of the misfeed gas on the unsealed chambers

  3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    644
    #3
    *TS, regarding ba yan sa truck engine? are you refering 4BE1 inline or rotary?

  4. #4
    Are you sure it's not about inline and rotary INJECTOR PUMPS for diesel engines???

  5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,817
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyLover View Post
    pros of rotary
    1. more hp at an unbelievable engine displacement... 300hp on a 1.3L engine
    2. intense level of rpm
    3. reliable
    rotary engines aren't reliable at all and they are very hard to maintain as it needs more attention compared to other engines. just look at the rx-7 they are very fun to drive but a bitch to own one with it's stock engine, that's why you see a lot of rx-7 owners replace their engine.

  6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    150
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KIANTOT View Post
    *TS, regarding ba yan sa truck engine? are you refering 4BE1 inline or rotary?
    Yes... it is regarding of truck engine 4BE1...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    rotary engines aren't reliable at all and they are very hard to maintain as it needs more attention compared to other engines. just look at the rx-7 they are very fun to drive but a bitch to own one with it's stock engine, that's why you see a lot of rx-7 owners replace their engine.
    The rotary engines had a lot of problems with oil leaks, among the wear of the rotors...

Difference between rotary and in line engine