New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pilot test of alternative fuel PUVs to start in March
    ABS-CBNnews.com
    Posted at 02/02/2012 5:20 PM | Updated as of 02/02/2012 11:02 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The government will still push through with its pilot testing of public utility vehicles (PUV) running on alternative fuels, despite high LPG and power rates.

Energy Undersecretary Loreta Ayson said the government will start the pilot testing for LPG-fueled and electric jeepneys (E-jeep) inside the University of the Philippines campus in Diliman, Quezon City.

This comes amid rising prices of LPG. AutoLPG prices rose by an equivalent P3.50/liter yesterday as a result of higher contract price. Cooking gas prices jumped by P6.70/kilo, which means an 11-kilogram tank would cost P70 more. Petron Gasul and Shellane have already advised the Department of Energy about their price increases.

According to Ayson, the study by the UP School of Mechanical Engineering, which showed there is no savings if the current diesel-run jeepney engines are powered with LPG engines, is inconclusive.

When the study was made, autoLPG costs P29 to P30/liter. Today it retails at almost P35/liter. Diesel on the other hand costs P45/liter.

Despite the earlier P15/liter difference, the study revealed that jeepney drivers will not be able to save since they will need more LPG fuel to run the same distance as diesel-run jeepneys.

Using electricity as fuel, the e-tricycle project is showing some promise. Based on the DOE study, fuel cost for a tricycle running on gasoline is around P280/day while the e-trike drivers shell out P80/day for electricity expenses.

On compressed natural gas used in buses plying south, the diesel-run bus spends P8,043.20 for the entire trip while a bus running on CNG shells out P4,367.20 for the same trip.

Last year, President Aquino said he hopes that one day the majority of the country's PUVs would run on alternative fuels. - Reporting by Alvin Elchico, ABS-CBN News
    SOURCE: Pilot test of alternative fuel PUVs to start in March | ABS-CBN News

Since CNG is methane-based, it can be recovered from waste landfills and sewage treatment plants.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    will jeepney operators pay for the LPG conversion?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Since CNG is methane-based, it can be recovered from waste landfills and sewage treatment plants.
    But CNG requires a different engine type and higher pressures to liquify for storage. PLUS investment in infrastructure to process and store CNG.

Currently Auto-LPG is popular and readily available in the metro area due to taxi cabs and private cars using it.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yup

even if you have a landfill methane recovery plant you gotta transport the methane to places where the methane will be used

where's the pipeline?

there's no infratructure

another suggestion from outside

theory different from reality

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You'd have to refine it and compress it on the spot. Preferably using a compressor powered by the methane itself.

Doable, but we've talked about this before, the required infrastructure makes it a bit problematic. Parts of the dump will have to be set aside for the methane collection vats, where they accelerate production by seeding the stock with bacteria.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    This is a good first step. I am an economist by training but I think we should move away with strictly cash cost comparisons among different alternatives. We can include other benefits from shifting to LPG such as lower emissions, etc.

Considering how polluting and energy inefficient our PUJs are (maybe due to old engines and design of the PUJ itself), there is a lot of potential to lessen the tailpipe and the overall emission level from the road transport. And if we are innovative enough, we can use this to generate funds to subsidize the conversion of PUJs (or PUVs) from conventional diesel to LPG or even electric.

I am currently doing my masters research on LEVs although it is for privately used vehicles. Initial results show that there is aversion towards AutoLPG but I personally believe AutoLPG is the most feasible way towards a cleaner transport system. The basic infrastructure exists at least in Metro Manila. The government just have to properly regulate the quality of LPG systems installed and enforce maintenance and inspections systems to prevent what is happening in some taxi cabs with LPG systems which I think is the cause of the misconception about AutoLPGs.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    By the way, does the LTO or DOE have data on the number of vehicles (private or publicly used) which has installed an LPG system or any other alternative fuel systems?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    This is a good first step. I am an economist by training but I think we should move away with strictly cash cost comparisons among different alternatives. We can include other benefits from shifting to LPG such as lower emissions, etc.

Considering how polluting and energy inefficient our PUJs are (maybe due to old engines and design of the PUJ itself), there is a lot of potential to lessen the tailpipe and the overall emission level from the road transport. And if we are innovative enough, we can use this to generate funds to subsidize the conversion of PUJs (or PUVs) from conventional diesel to LPG or even electric.

I am currently doing my masters research on LEVs although it is for privately used vehicles. Initial results show that there is aversion towards AutoLPG but I personally believe AutoLPG is the most feasible way towards a cleaner transport system. The basic infrastructure exists at least in Metro Manila. The government just have to properly regulate the quality of LPG systems installed and enforce maintenance and inspections systems to prevent what is happening in some taxi cabs with LPG systems which I think is the cause of the misconception about AutoLPGs.
    A major step to a solution is to completely phase out the public utility jeepney and have them replaced by mini-buses. Or in the bare minimum, replace the ancient jeepney with a more modern vehicle that is designed for the purpose. Unfortunately, either solution requires political will which no politician will want to do if they want to have a political future.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    A major step to a solution is to completely phase out the public utility jeepney and have them replaced by mini-buses. Or in the bare minimum, replace the ancient jeepney with a more modern vehicle that is designed for the purpose. Unfortunately, either solution requires political will which no politician will want to do if they want to have a political future.
    I agree but unfortunately, we have to take actions based on existing political and economic environment which is sadly not conducive to reforms in the transport sector.

But small projects can be a good start which other towns or cities or organizations can follow if successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast