New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aejhayl17 View Post
    if this happen(or meron na ba?), will this "gasoline then LPG" converted Jeepney will still carry its gasoline tank for gas usage,like other LPG vehicles,? so it will "still" use gasoline partially for start ups and maintenance purposes (like unclogging the injectors)?
    You don't really need to have a gasoline tank. In fact many of the taxi cabs in the metro have permanently disabled gasoline systems. And for the purpose of jeepneys I would suggest the more basic venturi system which seems to be more durable and requires less maintenance as compared to the more advanced SGI system.

mapapantayan ba nito ang torque output(push/pull which is a necessity for mass loading) or over all power output ng diesel engine sir?
    If the diesel engine used by the jeepneys (in the metro) only produce 50hp yet hauls 15 to 20 people, I think a more powerful gasoline-based engine will be ok. The fact is, the existing jeepneys can do it with so much less power is because of their low speed transmission. Just match the gasoline engine with the proper low ratio transmission, it would do just fine even if their speeds would be limited to between 60 to 80 kph max.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We have to always remember that diesel fuel is NOT cheap. The price at the fuel pumps is subsidized and paid by someone else. It is adjusted to be "cheaper" simply because it is the easy way out for the government do to.

We have to get out of that way of thinking. We cannot rely on government "dole-outs" forever if we are to haul our sorry asses up from where our society is now in.

Auto-LPG is not "the answer" for the "ills of society" but it can be part of the way to get to the whole solution, or at least for some segments of the transport sector.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    how about this mga sir?

THE NEWEST INVENTION ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]BILIB KA SA PINOY, BASTA PINOY PANALO KA!!!!!!!!
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]GO GREEN PHILIPPINES!
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    Making powertrains more efficient is only one part of reducing the environmental impact of vehicles. The energy required to mine and process raw materials into the components that comprise a vehicle and then transport it to the end customer can often amount to a significant fraction of the total energy used to operate the vehicle. In the town of Tabontabon in the Philippines , they have started building new taxis based on renewable materials. The bodywork is made entirely from bamboo. Since bamboo is a grass, it can be harvested and it grows back. It's also extremely strong and lightweight. Of course, this vehicle still won't come close to meeting the crash test standards in North America or Europe but for a low cost, low speed vehicle in a rural area it's a great alternative. Even the fuel is renewable as the engines in these vehicles are fueled by biodiesel produced from coconut oil.

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    sori di po na attached yung pics

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If the diesel engine used by the jeepneys (in the metro) only produce 50hp yet hauls 15 to 20 people, I think a more powerful gasoline-based engine will be ok. The fact is, the existing jeepneys can do it with so much less power is because of their low speed transmission. Just match the gasoline engine with the proper low ratio transmission, it would do just fine even if their speeds would be limited to between 60 to 80 kph max.
    You are correct on this GH, as I can recall way back then, we have 22 seater jeepney fleets with gasoline engines utilizing Toyota 12R and 16R engines and they have better acceleration when combine with low speed transmission and differentials. I think it has the same engine/transmission principle with the 3rd generation Toyota Dyna or ToyataAce having 2.0 gasoline engine truck base.

Our jeepneys then ply the route of San Juan - Little Baguio and this route is a combination of up climb streets so torque is not a question.

Today having LPG on jeepney is more likely to succeed having more fuel efficient gasoline fed injection type engine.

I've seen a lot Toyota FX having LPG kits doing Garage To Terminal service, but since a lot of them are nearing their franchise expiration they are now less visible from the terminals. Some of them having toroidal LPG tank in the spare tire carrier underneath.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by prince777 View Post
    how about this mga sir?

THE NEWEST INVENTION ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]BILIB KA SA PINOY, BASTA PINOY PANALO KA!!!!!!!!
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]GO GREEN PHILIPPINES!
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    Making powertrains more efficient is only one part of reducing the environmental impact of vehicles. The energy required to mine and process raw materials into the components that comprise a vehicle and then transport it to the end customer can often amount to a significant fraction of the total energy used to operate the vehicle. In the town of Tabontabon in the Philippines , they have started building new taxis based on renewable materials. The bodywork is made entirely from bamboo. Since bamboo is a grass, it can be harvested and it grows back. It's also extremely strong and lightweight. Of course, this vehicle still won't come close to meeting the crash test standards in North America or Europe but for a low cost, low speed vehicle in a rural area it's a great alternative. Even the fuel is renewable as the engines in these vehicles are fueled by biodiesel produced from coconut oil.
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    I guess as long it isn't YOUR sorry ass riding in a bamboo car it would be alright.

That kind of mentality is simply inhumane. Are lives in America or Europe worth more than the lives in the Philippines that we can lower the minimum engineering safety standards for the vehicles we will put on the road?

Personally I would prefer to make my cars so that the passengers would have a chance to survive in one piece if it comes to an accident. It isn't that difficult nor resource intensive to be done that way.

I can do a rough design right now.

Just design starting on a basic ladder frame chassis. Do a space frame on it so the vehicle's panels will fit. The exterior and interior panels can be made from laminated bamboo composite panels, either cut from flat panels or moulded to shape. The panels would cut the need and weight of sheet metal and the chassis and frame would still provide minimum vehicle strength & safety. It would also be possible to use less metal on the chassis and spaceframe by using thinner guage steel and wrap them in laminated bamboo strips composite (similar effect to carbon fiber composite wrapped aluminum alloys used in racing) but this would increase cost and production time.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 21st, 2009 at 02:03 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I guess as long it isn't YOUR sorry ass riding in a bamboo car it would be alright.

That kind of mentality is simply inhumane. Are lives in America or Europe worth more than the lives in the Philippines that we can lower the minimum engineering safety standards for the vehicles we will put on the road?

Personally I would prefer to make my cars so that the passengers would have a chance to survive in one piece if it comes to an accident. It isn't that difficult nor resource intensive to be done that way.

I can do a rough design right now.

Just design starting on a basic ladder frame chassis. Do a space frame on it so the vehicle's panels will fit. The exterior and interior panels can be made from laminated bamboo composite panels, either cut from flat panels or moulded to shape. The panels would cut the need and weight of sheet metal and the chassis and frame would still provide minimum vehicle strength & safety. It would also be possible to use less metal on the chassis and spaceframe by using thinner guage steel and wrap them in laminated bamboo strips composite (similar effect to carbon fiber composite wrapped aluminum alloys used in racing) but this would increase cost and production time.
    pano yung testing to prove na safe nga passengers sa crash. diba may cost din yun, diba resource din yung perang gagastusin dun sa crash testing? pero sabi mo pala "my cars".

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    OT:

Since we've talked about CNG powered buses, I`ve seen one roaming in edsa.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OyiL View Post
    pano yung testing to prove na safe nga passengers sa crash. diba may cost din yun, diba resource din yung perang gagastusin dun sa crash testing? pero sabi mo pala "my cars".

Simple. Do computer finite element analysis at the planning and building stage. This would culminate in an actual crash test destroying one or two full chassis to prove crash safety within it's design parameters and to serve as real world comparison for computer crash modeling.

This is better than the original proposal of simply by-passing safety outright simply because it is meant for "provincial" use and used outside of places such as America and Europe which strict safety standards are required.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Simple. Do computer finite element analysis at the planning and building stage. This would culminate in an actual crash test destroying one or two full chassis to prove crash safety within it's design parameters and to serve as real world comparison for computer crash modeling.

This is better than the original proposal of simply by-passing safety outright simply because it is meant for "provincial" use and used outside of places such as America and Europe which strict safety standards are required.
    do you already have the software to do this? open source? freeware ba? If I have a design, how much would it cost me to avail of this service(crash test) from you? I'm also dreaming to drive my own car designed by myself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Lpg jeepney