New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    *LynxMan - Was from East London myself, in Stratford, near the Olympic site. Hope you're going to the Barrio Fiesta this weekend, heard 80,000 will be there! :drunk::cheers:

Like someone said earlier, it would be difficult for other European manufacturers to penetrate the Pinas market due to a number of ostacles. I'm with you about the Jeepneys point, however no matter who takes the hot seat in 2010 and subsequent years after that, I don't see any of that happening in the near future.

The Toyota Prius has been launched here but the problem is... it costs P2.25M, around £28,000! For £28,000, you could get yourself a used Mercedes SL 500 or a used M3. Likewise here, P2.25M would get you far. All in all, it's a start to bring electric cars over here, but will it penetrate the local market.... hmmm, i doubt it, and that's a shame.

I think here in Pinas, peoples attitudes have to be changed. Electric cars and smaller cars will do their bit for the environment, but I don't know if people care much about it here.... if everybody had P2.25M to spend on a vehicle i'm pretty sure most would instantly think big or sporty. The Govt's a mess. There's even an issue about which voting system to use for the upcoming elections, this just makes me laugh so much coz it just underlys how corrupt the govt is.

RE the emissions, there isn't even an MOT here so practically anything with 4-wheels can be driven about. Higher road taxes on vehicles with higher emissions is something I think should be implemented here, this may discourage people from buying these vehicles. This should be done yearly when their LTO reg expires.

Anyway back OT lol, I just think more 'practical' cars are needed here. Yes they can take a page out of the European's books with the likes of the Nissan Note and Fiat500, but the question is, is there a market for them here? Unfortunately from what I read/see/hear, there isn't...... yet. We live in a changing world, peoples attitudes needs to be changed, I hope one of these car manufacturers would bite the buck and give these type of cars a go here, market it well, and hopefully from the success of it, more manufacturers will follow suit. Fingers crossed!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Mazzipino,

i totally agree with your assessment on cars and gov't. lol.

you know you can buy fossil fuel-powered cars that has new technologies in them that make them emit less carbon. the only problem is hindi pa masyado conscious ang mga pinoys when it comes to green issues sa cars these days like you said. they are more concern IMHO with "porma" and petrol prices which is fair enough on the latter. again the issue of the government steps in because of the lack of money (or the lack of backbone from politicians/private sector,etc.)

in the UK ( and i think in some EU countries) the state has a scrappage scheme wherein you surrender your old cars (10years or more) and get rewarded or discount on buying a new and a cleaner car. why can't we introduce that to the Philippines kaya? this is one reason why our motor industry is ( i think) still 30 years behind developed nations.

our attitudes and beliefs should change. and it has to start from the top.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    VW Golf GTI

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I read somewhere that the Mini will be sold in Philippines.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    VW Scirocco.

*Negus, yes it will be. IIRC, this year.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    The whole Volkswagen (line-up) brand sana... but who will be the distributor kung sakali? PGA Cars since they are also dealing with Audi?

Take note that VW started construction for an assembly plant in Indonesia... too bad the Philippines was not chosen...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LynxMan View Post
    in the UK ( and i think in some EU countries) the state has a scrappage scheme wherein you surrender your old cars (10years or more) and get rewarded or discount on buying a new and a cleaner car. why can't we introduce that to the Philippines kaya? this is one reason why our motor industry is ( i think) still 30 years behind developed nations.
    If it's the environment you're concerned about, be aware that keeping a (well-maintained) old car (or buying a used car in good condition) is actually much easier on the environment than scrapping it for a new one. It costs a LOT in terms of energy to build a new car from scratch.

Thing is, most people don't really maintain their cars very well. Kaya 3-5 years later laspag at bulok na yung car kailangan na bumili ng bago. If all of us just pay attention to the little details of car maintenance like checking for tire pressures (which most people don't, judging by all those tires at the mall parking lot worn heavily at the sides) we can save a LOT of fuel and money.

We can do much good to the environment and to our wallets without resorting to exotic technologies and gimmicky government schemes.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    2009 Ford Focus RS :drool:

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Alpha One,

i must agree with you. small details on proper car maintenace still helps a lot in saving fuel and money. but IMO as technology advances we will find newer cars to have cleaner emmssions as time goes by. attitudes of pinoys must change.

i think there is a misconception on car scrappage scheme. not necesarilly it is "not environmentally-freindly" because the scrapped car is recycled thus saving the earth. and saving you money when you swap/trade-in your old car. again as technology advances we will find recycling more common and more better i think...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i wish:

1. smaller cars & mid-size 5-door hatches

2. a government incentive scheme wherein if you buy a cleaner (but not necesarilly a smaller) car you get some sort of discounts or freebies from the car maker

3. strict national implementation of the clean air act and emission testing

4. the state to be clear on the car's carbon output and not just how much the car can go on a litre of petrol

5. more support for recycling. not just for car parts but for almost anything. so in the future to lessen dependence on say importing car parts or wheels maybe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
European cars wishlist for the Philippine roads