New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 55 of 120 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I am just wondering what happens to the e-jeepney project when government funding eventually gets cut off and economics come into play?

And even before that, what happens when the batteries require replacing after 12 to 18 months of service?
    Then it will die a Natural Death.

The E-jeepney does not offer any financial benefits to the jeepney operators and entails a capital outlay of almost P700,000. And there is a serious problem of the vehicle's low range because of the low-tech batteries used.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post
    The E-jeepney does not offer any financial benefits to the jeepney operators and entails a capital outlay of almost P700,000.
    That is what I have been trying to make clear when Niky and I were posting the economic analysis of operating the e-jeepney over the period long enough to include the cost of replacing the battery pack.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Lets call a spade a spade. The e-jeepney is not a Jeepney but should be categorized under filcab, minicab or caddie. A jeepney-operator friend says they they (e-jeepneys) should not be called as such, since they dont resemble their jeepneys.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Letter from Nobel Prize winner Dr.Dan Kammen

I am delighted to send my congratulations, thanks, and admiration to: Institute for Climate and Sustainable Cities,
    The Stichting Doen Foundation,
    The Honorable Jejomar Binay, Mayor of the City of Makati, and
    The Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturers Association of the Philippines (MVPMAP)
    In developing the television series ‘Ecopolis’ I had the pleasure to review a range of low-carbon, sustainable energy technologies and practices. I could not have been more pleased to learn of the eJeepney story. The eJeepney puts into practice a sustainable transportation solution that dramatically cuts carbon emissions and improves local air quality. It does more than meet a technical challenge. The eJeepney is brilliant because it also gets people out of individual vehicles and into share, community, transportation solutions.
    I am both honored and delighted to be able to add my congratulations on the launch of the Makati Green Route. May we all learn from your creativity.

Sincerely,
    (signed)
    Daniel M. Kammen
    More Links on Dr. Kammen's Research and Initiatives:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Haha... watched that episode of ecopolis. Very interesting thought process with that guy... very thorough in his analysis.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ8GYy_g11M"]YouTube- the beat features the ejeepney[/ame]

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    La Salle has an e-jeepney that plys through De La Salle University, CSB, AKIC and SDA building. The guards and maintenance folk in CSB told me that they are already noticing that the battery is already showing signs of quicker discharging which took them by surprise, considering that it has only been in service for 3 months, catering to a few students and a very limited route.

Unless the proponents of the e-jeepney can at least come up with a comprehensive projection of the running costs and overall operating expenses that cover battery replacements in "X" usage for "X" dduration, and not just the "you don't have to pay for expensive gasoline mantra," it's too early to tell if this project can indeed be considered practical and sustainable.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    La Salle has an e-jeepney that plys through De La Salle University, CSB, AKIC and SDA building. The guards and maintenance folk in CSB told me that they are already noticing that the battery is already showing signs of quicker discharging which took them by surprise, considering that it has only been in service for 3 months, catering to a few students and a very limited route.
    No surprise if you ask me.

Maybe we should ask the e-jeepney advocates on their expert views on the early death signs from the battery.

Unless the proponents of the e-jeepney can at least come up with a comprehensive projection of the running costs and overall operating expenses that cover battery replacements in "X" usage for "X" dduration, and not just the "you don't have to pay for expensive gasoline mantra," it's too early to tell if this project can indeed be considered practical and sustainable.
    I have previously posted my cost analysis regarding battery replacement (with recharging) cost vs diesel fuel costs over an 18 month period which is supposed to estimate the 500 cycle life of the deep cycle battery. I think my analysis was more than fair to the "ejeepney" project.

Now that REALITY has started to set in, let us see what excuses would be published soon.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    who is Dr. Kammen anyway?

from a forum

this is funny

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...9/m/3391951999

I was wondering, what Nobel prize did Dr. Kammen receive? Chemistry, Physics, Economics? I was going to reference him on a paper and I was unable to locate which category of the Nobel prize that he received. Have any of you come across this information?

I reviewed his CV from this website and did not see a mention of the Nobel prize.
    http://erg.berkeley.edu/people/faculty/kammen.html

Thank You.
    He shares the peace prize with Al Gore and the IPCC.
    Now I understand why I had this feeling that this guy is complete moron!
    By the way the Nobel prize lost it's value since this hypocrite Gore got it for his lies and manipulations.
    It's worse that that. In the first place, the prize went to the Committee; that does not mean that each individual member won the prize. This is not a team sport like the Olympics. How about the members who disagreed with the report and whose comments were not published? Did they, too, get the prize?
    But it gets worse. Daniel Kammen is a coordinating lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). In other words, he is the clown responsible for the incredibly badly botched reports! Do you suppose he was there when the infamously un-peer-reviewed hockey-stick chart was published? Or was he only responsible for the most recent travesty ignoring all dissenting comments by members of the IPCC?
    Whatever the case, this glorification puts Discovery/Science Channel squarely in the camp of the non-science media world, buffoons like the editor of Scientific American whose politics always trump real science. Real scientists (and yes, I have a PhD in a real science) not only look for proof of their theories, they look extra hard for anything that would disprove their theories. That failure on the part of the IPCC (and most advocates of anthropomorphic global warming) is a scientific tragedy.
    And yes, it was the inclusion of Al Gore in that same Nobel Prize for "Peace" that was the big clue of just how political the Nobel Prize has become. But lumping the IPCC in the same basket as Gore was the greatest irony of all. They deserve each other.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    http://gspp.berkeley.edu/academics/faculty/kammen.html

Biographical Statement:
    Daniel M. Kammen is the Class of 1935 Distinguished Professor of Energy at the University of California, Berkeley, where he holds appointments in the Energy and Resources Group, the Goldman School of Public Policy, and the department of Nuclear Engineering. Kammen is the founding director of the Renewable and Appropriate Energy Laboratory (RAEL) and the co-Director of the Berkeley Institute of the Environment. Kammen is the Director of the Transportation Sustainability Research Center. Kammen received his undergraduate (Cornell A., B. ’84) and graduate (Harvard M. A. ’86, Ph.D. ’88) training is in physics After postdoctoral work at Caltech and Harvard, Kammen was professor and Chair of the Science, Technology and Environmental Policy at Princeton University in the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs from 1993 – 1998. He then moved to the University of California, Berkeley. Daniel Kammen is a coordinating lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. He hosted the Discovery Channel series ‘Ecopolis, and had appeared on NOVA, and on ’60 Minutes’ twice.
    he's not the Nobel prize winner

the IPCC is the Nobel prize winner

he is part of IPCC
    Last edited by uls; February 2nd, 2010 at 11:04 AM.

"e-Jeepney" - The electric powered jeepney