New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Question: I have a lancer boxtype. Why is that my contact point wont last long. Bakit lagi burnout yung tip nung contact point. Any Idea/Solution para maayos ang problemang ito? Your answer will be a great help to my problem. Thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    arcing ang tawag dun sa nag bu-burn ng contacts, matbe you need to replace the condenser na (The condenser provides a place where current can flow until the points are fully open) also too wide the gap ay nagca-cause din ng arcing.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try mo rin baka ang imported versions ng engine niyan have an electronic contact point... (you might need to replace the whole distributor assembly)

yung starlet ko (which is older than the box type lancer) is already electronic contact point.

agree with the condenser probability...normally when you replace the contact point you also replace the condenser.

then if you are the one timing your lancer, try to use a filler gauge for the proper gap on full open of the contact point.

hth

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    i agree, replace your condenser. you might want to check your spark plugs too.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    if ill replace it with a magnetic. tatagal ba yun? di ba masasayang money ko. sabi kasi nila pag nasira yun titirik talaga ako. matibay kaya yun?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    ganyan din nangyayari sa oto ko dati.
    possible na may problema ang electrical mo
    check mo yun resistor (puting pahaba) kung ayus pa
    replace condenser narin at spark plugs

i think pag ganyan, kakajot-kajot ang takbo mo, tama ba?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    oo kakadyot kadyot nga. kaya kakainis. san ko matatagpuan yung resistor na puti. para ma chk ko. Anyways, pinakelaman ko. did all what u advised. ako nag install ng contact point. Clean everthing replace the condenser. ad just the distributor for good hatak. and i guess nagawa ko ng maayos. its my first day to use it. wala naman akong naramdaman na problema. and it runs well, ganda hatak. but im still observing it. Sana tumagal and ginawa ko. kaya pala ako ang gumawa kakasawa bumalik sa mekaniko. iba talaga pag ikaw ang nagtyaga at gumawa.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you might want to try CDI on your car ... you'd still use the contact point for triggering but it will last forever beacause it won't be carrying high currents anymore ... and the condenser won't be needed

i did it on my Colt Mirage long ago and the first thing i noticed was quick starting ... on conventional ignition like yours, the spark voltage is typically 20,000 volts, the CDI can deliver up to 40,000 volts

a CDI unit can be built diy if you can't find commercially available units

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Sir Kinyo, san ko naman matatagpuan ang CDI. San ako makakabili non and san ko pwede pagawa.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mahihirapan ka nga maghanap ng ready-to-use CDI

so your best bet is a kit from Alexan (in megamall or sm north or raon) ... ask for their Electronic Ignition Sytem kit ... they might have it in assembled form although it normally comes in a kit which can be assembled by a DIYer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Why is that my contact point in my lancer boxtype wont last long