New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    may it gas or diesel, turbo or n/a, anyone notice your rides whistle when you startup your engines? saan po ba galing yung sound?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka may ***y na dumadaan...hehehe. Slipping belt malamang. Bigla kasing ginising yun mga belt when you start the engine.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    the filter sucking in air... pero malamang nga belt.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Reduction starter? High pitch?
    Hindi naman seguro lalagpas kay Rion ang loose or oily belt. Tuwing start up daw if belt it will happen sa high rpm or at engagement.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Typically, belt(s) nga.... Or, pulley?...

How about valves?

5000:boom:

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    oo nga...bakit nga ganun? pero tingin ko it's the sound of the air being sucked.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    baka may ***y na dumadaan...hehehe. Slipping belt malamang. Bigla kasing ginising yun mga belt when you start the engine.

Oo nga no! Di kaya yong driver ang seksi kaya pati engine sumisipol. Peace bro.

Could been sign also of lossing compression of your engine.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It could be a few things:

If your AC is left on when the car was shut off the previous night, it could have been activated and it's sucking air from outside

If your air filter tubing has a small pinhole leak it can cause a whistling sound, more evident when driving and accelerating

If your air intake tubing is a bit loose it can cause a whistling sound too, more evident when driving and accelerating

Does it disappear when it gets warm? Does it get louder when you do something?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think Rion is inquiring in general and doesnt necessarily mean something is wrong with a specific engine.

Before i came accross a topic on how to check compression by the noise it creates and the resistance it makes with the starters speed.

This test is fairly accurate but must be done with an ear that can distinguish and identify pitch easily. This test is performed by cranking the engine for 5 to 10 seconds and listening for irregularities in the way the engine spins.

As each piston comes up on compression stroke, the resistance of the air being compressed within the cylinder momentarily slows the cranking speed,impossing a greater load on the starter. If all of the cylinders are sealling equally well,each momentary slowing would be more or less identical.

For those like me who has manually cranked an engine from the pulley can attest to the noise and the imbalance of pressure when turning the cranshaft.

Dont forget to unplug fuel solenoid and return it after.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; December 27th, 2007 at 02:06 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    am I the only one noticing it? I notice these most of the time in any cars brands, some are even brand new.

I hear these whistle as the engine starts at the moment of click. then disappears...

porbably belt or air sucked nga. thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
whistle sound when starting