New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i learned the hard way, tumiriik auto ko sa edsa-guadalupe, putol timing belt, sabay na-tow pako, goodbye 2k...

i had it replaced immediately, that was around 55k km sa odometer.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by tip_tipid
    Inspect the timing belt area for oil leaks and oil on the timing belt.
    Replace the timing belt after correcting the oil leak problem. additional tip. On some make of cars, the timing belt also drives the water pump.
    Speaking of the water pump, how long does this last?

Mechanics usually recommend changing the pump together with the timing belt (for 4d56 engines). How about cars and others?

Up ko lang itong prehistoric thread na ito. I find it very useful.

Also, the last question of Dieseler remains unanswered. When do you need to replace the water pump?

Next question ko, hirap ba magpalit ng timing belt? Is it as simple as replacing the belt, and that's that? Or do you have to tweak it pa after replacement, to get the proper timing? Do they plug a thingamajig to detect proper timing? Saan advisable ba magpa-change ng timing belt? Sa Honda Casa na kaya? How much ang estimate cost nito?

Thanks in advance for the inputs. My '97 City is approaching 80k mileage.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as for Dieselers query.

I don't exactly know how long a water pump last. Yung iba, nagpapalit na din sila ng water pump sabay sa timing belt para isang bukasan/labor/singil na lang. But it's your call, kung gusto mo na palitan ang water pump mo or not even if okay pa siya.

Paolo,

mahirap magpalit ng timing belt especially if you don't have the mechanical know-how. Kailangan tama ang tension nyan para hindi mag-skip.

Any competent mechanic can change a timing belt. As to where, kung ayaw mo sa Casa, sa shop ni Speedyfix ka nalang pumunta. Haven't had any repairs done sa shop ni Speedyfix pero he's highly recommended by a lot of people from other boards.

Look up Speedyfix posts nandun contact number nya.

HTH

Thanks artpogi!

Hi Speedyfix, can you give your inputs on this issue? Magkano estimate ang palit ng timing belt with labor? Paki-estimate na rin magkano palit ng water pump. Kahit rough estimates lang po.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hey paololorenzo, we have the same ride! :D

water pumps need to replaced when ur car is still overheating even if theres no problem with ur radiator, radiator fan and the hoses.

compared to the alternator belt, the timing belt has a protective case (in most cars) which u have to remove to access the timing belt..in other words its hard. also when u replace it you have to check if its in proper timing. Your city is due for timing belt replacement. since you mentioned that it has already run 80t kms. as far as i can remember the oem bando timing belts sell for about 900-1200 per pc.

any competent shop can do this...try speedyfix..paging migz..

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    hi! if you'd like an estimate on the parts and labor please give the shop a call. look for richard - 7237625. just let him know what parts you'll be needing then give him a number to reach you at. he should call you back within the hour with the complete breakdown of parts and labor for what you want to have done.

i'd suggest replacing honda timing belts at 70T kms. this is what is advised by casa and it is simpler and more cost effective to do it sooner rather than to wait for something to go wrong.

work done is quite a lot and it is in no way similar to removing the other belts. you have to remove the valve cover, ps belts and lots of other stuff to get to the timing belt.

hope to see you in the shop soon!

migs

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    suggestion ko every 80000 kms ay replace mo na ang timing belt. pag pinabayaan kasi ay maraming masisira sa engine tulad ng valves or pistons kapag naputul ang timing belt.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yep! replacing the belt early is so much more cost effective than waiting for it to snap, having the car towed, then replacing all of the parts that have broken down.

pero sa totoo lang, there have been a few cases that cars have been towed to me with broken timing belts but have had no internal problems. usually, the valves break na kapag mabilis takbo then naputulan ka pero if you are stuck in traffic and naputol, usually walang mangyayari sa loob ng engine (this is not always the case tho).

hope this helps

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I'm showing my ignorance again. Are timing belts always OEM, or are there replacement aftermarket counterparts? How would I know the exact specification of a timing belt should I go to an auto parts store to buy an aftermarket belt (I sort of prefer to give them the specs rather than ask them "Mayroon ba kayong timing belt na para sa so-and-so na kotse?")

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
when to change timing belt?