New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    how do i know when to change the timing belt? tnx guys.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There are no tell tale signs if the timing belts needs replacement. Most manuals dictate from 80K kms. to 100K kms reading from your odometer.

If your vehicle runs for an average of 10K kms. a year, you should be wary of changing them on the 8th or 9th year.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    between 80,000 and 100,000 kilometers is the appropriate time to replace your timing belt and other related parts.

What I normally do, I visually check my timing belt, especially now that I'm hitting 70K, for signs of cracks and other abnormal appearance that would indicate that it's time for replacement.

Visually check your T-Belt and below are the tell tale signs of a T-Belt due for replacement (got this from the net)

1. Hardened backing rubber (the rubber appears glossy and non-elastic. If you scratch it with your fingernails, it will not leave any mark, this means it's time for replacement)

2. Surface cracks on the backing rubber

3. Cracks on the tooth bottom or missing teeth.

4. Cracks on the belt sides or abnormal wear on the belt sides. Note: The sides of the T-Belt are normal if they are sharp as if they were cut by a sharp knife.

HTH

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imo.

70km or after 5 years (assuming brandnew mo nakuha), which ever come first. Kung low mileage ang car most likely 5 years.

Kung second hand mo nakuha ang car mo, ask the previous owner, or better change it na din as part of prventive maintenance.

ung nakuha ko nga na 2nd hand eh (52km) papalitan ko na ng timing belt, bearing tensioner, aircon and alternator belt this coming sunday. di ko na sinama ang waterpump...wala na akong pera... :drool:

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    thank you very much guys.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    every 100,000km

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    guys,
    is it true that the isuzu 4jb1t uses timing chain instead of a timing belt? is a chain more durable than the belt?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Beetols,
    Ung hilander uses timing chain, I'm not sure what your ride uses though. Pa-check mo nalang sa mechanic mo.

Ako I changed my T-belt at 60tkms. My next change will be at 120tkms. I used orig mitsu belt.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    According to my booklet every 100,000km ang palit

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Inspect the timing belt area for oil leaks and oil on the timing belt.
    Replace the timing belt after correcting the oil leak problem. additional tip. On some make of cars, the timing belt also drives the water pump.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
when to change timing belt?