New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    why do tsikot peeps seem to love this particular engine oil (havoline Energy)?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sponsor kasi ni Cristiano da Matta havo energy sa Cart series....feel ko lang . joke lang po...

well, cheaper kasi at good protection sa engine plus fuel economy as claimed by Caltex.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    magandang engine oil ba ito sa A/T na 1994 at saka 1996? Kung hindi medyo maganda what engine oil you can recommend?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Based on what i read in the old Kotse threads, they claimed better fuel efficiency and increased performance. I think this is partly due to the thinner viscousity of Havoline Energy (meaning less resistance).

I don't use it though since i just stick to the regular mineral based oil (i choose the thicker ones or those with a wider viscousity range). Our weather conditions also make the oils with higher viscousity ranges more preferred. I think it's also better to use "thicker" oils on high mileage/old engines as well.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i can personally attest to the better fuel efficiency and savings havoline energy has. 10-15% savings talaga.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...and better driveability and smoother acceleration :D

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    using it on my charade. ok naman. i felt there was better performance. and mileage din yata.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm... nakaka-intriga yan a...

ano ba difference ng energy to other semi-synthetic oils?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    got this from www.caltexoils.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ask the Expert

Caltex Havoline Energy

Common Questions and Answers

1. Is Havoline Energy a “synthetic” engine oil?

2. Why is Havoline Energy more expensive than “conventional” engine oils?

3. Aren't fuel consumption savings available from other motor oils?

4. Caltex Havoline Energy is an SAE 5W-30 grade motor oil. Will using a motor oil of this viscosity damage my engine?

5. Synthetic motor oils are supposed to be capable of extending my oil drain intervals. Is this possible with Caltex Havoline Energy?

6. My car is an older model. Will it benefit from using Caltex Havoline Energy?

7. Is Caltex Havoline Energy compatible with conventional all-mineral oil, semi-synthetic and fully synthetic motor oils? Are any specific precautions necessary on change over?

8. I have heard that engine seals and gaskets are designed for compatibility with mineral oils. Will they be harmed by the use of Caltex Havoline Energy?

9. My engine develops more power when using Caltex Havoline Energy. Is it also using more fuel and producing more emissions?

10. Can I use Havoline Energy in my diesel engine car, 4-wheel drive etc in order to reduce my fuel bill?

11. Is fuel consumption the only benefit if I use Caltex Havoline Energy in my car?

12. Why should I use Caltex Havoline Energy in my car?

Is Havoline Energy a “synthetic” engine oil?

Yes. The terms “synthetic”, “semi-synthetic” etc relate to the type of base fluid from which an oil is blended. Apart from base fluids, lubricants also contain additives, all of which are synthetic. There are many types of base fluid which may be described as being “synthetic”, each having their own properties and advantages/disadvantages in particular applications. The synthetic base fluids used in Havoline Energy were chosen to provide to provide very high performance along with exceptional fuel economy and at a reasonable cost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is Havoline Energy more expensive than “conventional” engine oils?

The high engine protection performance and fuel economy provided by this exceptional engine oil requires the use of a complex combination of performance additives and friction modifiers, as well as an expensive synthetic base fluid. However, when viewed in terms of the life-extending protection it affords your engine and the savings you will achieve at the petrol pump it is not expensive at all – it is a true cost saver! Further, Havoline Energy is competitively priced with other synthetic engine oils, none of which boast the same combination of performance and fuel economy benefits as Havoline Energy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't fuel consumption savings available from other motor oils?

The unique chemistry of Caltex Havoline Energy employs new, advanced concepts in oil technology which lowers fuel consumption by reducing internal engine friction and other power loses. Unlike other "friction modified" motor oils which lose their fuel saving ability shortly into their normal service interval, the fuel consumption savings from Caltex Havoline Energy are retained right throughout the normal life of the oil.

Caltex Havoline Energy significantly improves fuel efficiency. Data obtained using the latest European standard driving cycle test shows that Caltex Havoline Energy provides superior fuel consumption savings compared to leading competitive motor oils. Field testing, and testing in co-operation with major European vehicle manufacturers, demonstrated fuel consumption savings of up to 6% in comparison to standard, commercially available SAE 10W-30 motor oils.

Caltex Havoline Energy is an SAE 5W-30 grade motor oil. Will using a motor oil of this viscosity damage my engine?

Vehicle manufactures recommend lubricants by both their viscosity and performance classifications, not just by viscosity alone. They are primarily concerned with the performance of an oil and its ability to prevent wear, to keep the engine clean and free of deposits, and to resist thickening in service. Caltex Havoline Energy is formulated in a viscosity grade which provides fuel consumption savings, but it also meets and exceeds the highest published manufacturer and industry performance specifications, including the benchmark API SL category.

Like all Caltex Havoline products, Caltex Havoline Energy is formulated to provide complete protection against starting friction, heat stress and engine deposits. Caltex Havoline Energy provides superior protection against engine wear on start-up where the majority of engine wear occurs. On start-up, Caltex Havoline Energy will circulate faster than heavier motor oils, providing full protection against wear for vital engine components. Yet at high temperature operation, Caltex Havoline Energy maintains a fully protective film of fluid and anti-wear additive between moving engine components.

Engine manufacturers are also concerned with valve train wear, that is wear on the camshaft lobes and other components of the valve train. Caltex Havoline Energy was tested in a standard European engine test which determines the motor oil's ability to prevent camshaft lobe scuffing wear. In this severe engine test, Caltex Havoline Energy had three times less camshaft lobe wear than a leading synthetic motor oil, and nearly eight times less wear than the passing limit allowed by the European standard.

Synthetic motor oils are supposed to be capable of extending my oil drain intervals. Is this possible with Caltex Havoline Energy?

A short answer to this question is "Yes". However, oil drain intervals are determined by the vehicle manufacturer and published in the vehicle's operating manual. The manufacturers' recommended oil drain interval takes into account the oil performance level specified, the design of the engine, its lubrication needs, the driving conditions which the vehicle experiences, and the stresses that these place on the oil. We believe that it is prudent practice to follow the manufacturer's recommendations in this regard. Nonetheless, should you decide to extend your oil drain intervals, or inadvertently do so, you can be confident that Caltex Havoline Energy will offer protection that is at least the equal of any other motor oil available today.

My car is an older model. Will it benefit from using Caltex Havoline Energy?

Caltex Havoline Energy is designed for use in modern, high performance engines where the manufacturer recommends the highest performance motor oil. Caltex Havoline Energy is generally recommended for use in newer gasoline passenger cars in place of motor oils having viscosities from SAE 5W-30 to SAE 15W-40.

Some older engines, those which are designed to operate on heavier viscosity motor oils, and those which have operated on lower performance motor oils and have already suffered wear to engine components, may experience increased oil consumption if run on Caltex Havoline Energy.

Is Caltex Havoline Energy compatible with conventional all-mineral oil, semi-synthetic and fully synthetic motor oils? Are any specific precautions necessary on change over?

Caltex Havoline Energy is fully compatible with conventional all-mineral oil, semi-synthetic and fully synthetic motor oils. No special change-over procedures are required. If desired, you may top up a conventional motor oil with Caltex Havoline Energy and vice versa, depending on the engine's oil viscosity requirements. However, the full fuel consumption savings and engine protection offered by Caltex Havoline Energy are only obtained when it is not mixed with other products.

I have heard that engine seals and gaskets are designed for compatibility with mineral oils. Will they be harmed by the use of Caltex Havoline Energy?

Caltex Havoline Energy is formulated to provide fully compatibility with all engine seal and gasket materials designed for use with conventional motor oils. In selecting the special base fluids used in Havoline Energy, compatibility with the sealing materials used by engine manufacturers was fully taken into account.

My engine develops more power when using Caltex Havoline Energy. Is it also using more fuel and producing more emissions?

No. When fuel is burned in the engine to produce energy, it is used in many ways. Some of this energy is lost as hot exhaust gases and waste heat from the cooling system. Some is used up overcoming internal friction in the engine. The rest is available to drive the wheels. Caltex Havoline Energy reduces internal friction within the engine, therefore more energy can be made available at the wheels. If this additional energy at the wheels is used in accelerating or higher speed driving, then no more fuel than normal would be used and no more emissions would be produced. However, if there is no change in your driving style, this energy will be saved and there will be reductions in the fuel consumed and the emissions produced.

Can I use Havoline Energy in my diesel engine car, 4-wheel drive etc in order to reduce my fuel bill?

The answer to this is a qualified yes. Havoline Energy meets ACEA B1, a European automotive industry specification which defines fuel efficient engine oils for light duty (ie not truck, bus etc) diesel engines. So if your owner’s manual calls for an oil meeting ACEA B1, or allows the use of low viscosity engine oils then you may certainly choose to use Havoline Energy. However, if you live in a part of the world where diesel fuel sulfur is still relatively high (e.g. parts of Africa and the Middle-East) then you may need to use a shortened drain interval in comparison with diesel engine oils specifically developed for use with moderate to high sulfur content fuels.

Is fuel consumption the only benefit if I use Caltex Havoline Energy in my car?

No, the engine will receive complete protection against starting friction and wear, heat stress, and engine deposits. Because of the reduced fuel consumed, fewer harmful exhaust emissions are produced. Caltex Havoline Energy is also compatible with catalysts where fitted, preventing untimely catalyst degradation and maintaining control of exhaust emissions. So users of Caltex Havoline Energy are also helping the environment.

Why should I use Caltex Havoline Energy in my car?

Your car is likely to be your second most important investment after your home. Caltex Havoline Energy motor oil is also an investment, saving up to 6% of fuel consumption while providing outstanding engine protection.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the problem is for high mileage cars baka di pwede yan. 5w-30? too thin. For high mileage cars siguro dapat nasa 40.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
What's with the popularity of Havoline Energy here?