New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    After an engine wash a month ago, there has been water in the spark plug wells of my old Mazda 626.

This has caused rough running and several engine stops.

Today I removed the spark plugs, cleaned the wells, replaced the plugs and plug wires. Before putting in new plugs I cranked the engine to blow out any remaining water.

Problem is, after putting everything together and running the engine up to operating temp, there is water in the wells again. Actually in the #2 to #4 cylinders, for some reason the #1 cylinder is dry.

I think this is a gasket of some sort. A friend thinks cylinder head gasket. Ideas?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if it's the head gasket the water should not creep up to the spark plugs. dapat nasa piston area lang sya. unless you have a crack in the head. if so it might be from that

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    If water goes to your spark plug you have a bad seal.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    bad seal of what? valve seal?

i'd take this car to Speedyfix but it's unregistered.. and with the water-in-the-plug-wells, it's scary to drive. :-P

i don't need the aggravation of doing stuff myself.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    a defective valve seal or even spark plug oil seals will not result in water. it's either it's from d head gasket na very worn or a crack in the head siguro. the first just check if the water jumps out from the rad. if it does then that's the answer. if the head is cracked though you have to pull it out and have a machine shop do a crack test on it.
    Last edited by speedyfix; January 27th, 2008 at 10:26 AM.

Water in Spark Plug Wells