New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll just stick to the regular oils offered at the gasoline stations.

New question: Regarding the timing belt, it should be replaced every 80T kms. right? If for heavy-duty or taxi use, would the 80T kms. interval still be applicable? Also, how would one know if we are buying original (Japan) timing belts? I have called up two (2) auto supply shops and they quoted me 450-480 Php for the timing belt. Tama lang ba or is it too cheap to be original? I was expecting kasi somewhere in the 900+ Php area. Btw the name of the brand ng timing belt is Gates.

TIA.
    original timing belt for 2E engine would cost you P1500.00 tapos tatagal ng 100t km basta original talaga. kung gusto mo naman lagyan mo ng butasyun cover para masilip mo yun timing belt kung ok pa.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just got back from Banawe. I got three (3) sets of timing belts (original Toyota, I got it for 1,490 Php), tensioners and idlers. Thanks a lot guys. Buti na lang hindi ko pa nakabit yung Gates.

Another question: I also have two (2) Nissan Sentra GX taxis (yung new body, 2004 and 2006 model). How different is this in terms of maintenance versus the Lovelife Corollas?

TIA.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Stick to regular 20W-40 mineral oil and change it every 5,000kms (Petron oils are one of the more lower priced ones); no need for additives of flushes. Spark plugs are changed every 10,000kms but if you want a little more longevity then use platinum spark plugs. Fuel filter also has to be changed every 20,000kms along with the air filter (w/c is cleaned every 5,000kms).

The original T-belts cost more than 1K; if you have to change bearings, just get the Koyo brand, they're the same as the originals w/c Toyota uses.

Check also the cooling system (flush and clean every 40,000kms usually), a/c and alternator belts, and do the public a favor by keeping the Taxis clean inside and out; it goes a long way for both the owner and the passenger. ;)

IMO, it helps a lot if the driver's see you personally checking the units once in a while.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    I just got back from Banawe. I got three (3) sets of timing belts (original Toyota, I got it for 1,490 Php), tensioners and idlers. Thanks a lot guys. Buti na lang hindi ko pa nakabit yung Gates.

Another question: I also have two (2) Nissan Sentra GX taxis (yung new body, 2004 and 2006 model). How different is this in terms of maintenance versus the Lovelife Corollas?

TIA.
    imho... the nissans are in timing chains, so no need to replace them at that kilometer reading. but have them checked at around 80k kms for the tension.

for the maintenance, aside from the usual fluid changes, you may also want to check the condition of the fan belts, the aircon (heck, who wants to ride in a hot taxi), the suspension (nissans have more softer suspensions than toyotas, so mas marupok sya).

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    pre ingat ka lang sa timing belt na binibili mo dami kasi ngayon timing belt na original yun packing pareho sila pag compare mo sa original.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Langabe View Post
    pre ingat ka lang sa timing belt na binibili mo dami kasi ngayon timing belt na original yun packing pareho sila pag compare mo sa original.
    Yup. That's why I bought the timing belts sa reputable shop, kahit na malayo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Tune-up queries (for taxis)