New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi.

My mechanic told me that everytime we change the oil sa mga taxi namin (we're new in the taxi business), he adds STP (oil additive). Is this really necessary?

And also as mentioned in another thread of mine na hindi na rin daw kailangan mag oil flushing? And in fact, nakakasama pa?

One more thing, our local Toyota casas advice na every 5T kms. mag-change ng oil/tune-up. But I read somewhere na every 10T kms. daw ang recommended ng Toyota in Japan. Which is true? Btw, my mechanic advices na around 6-7T kms daw.

TIA.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry View Post
    Hi.

My mechanic told me that everytime we change the oil sa mga taxi namin (we're new in the taxi business), he adds STP (oil additive). Is this really necessary?

And also as mentioned in another thread of mine na hindi na rin daw kailangan mag oil flushing? And in fact, nakakasama pa?

One more thing, our local Toyota casas advice na every 5T kms. mag-change ng oil/tune-up. But I read somewhere na every 10T kms. daw ang recommended ng Toyota in Japan. Which is true? Btw, my mechanic advices na around 6-7T kms daw.

TIA.
    mukhang naiconnect ko na yung thread mo dun sa engine flush with this thread.

to answer your queries:

a) on adding oil additive. it is not required. the purpose of oil additives is to add cleaners inside your engine. oils nowadays have their own additives na, so definitely, if you would add an additive after an oil change, you would be spending more.

b) hindi na kailangan mag flushing if your car's oil is regularly changed. ang flushing is done lang kung medyo matagal ang oil change interval which results in sludges.

c) on the toyota oil change intervals, it would depend on the oil that you use. fully synthetic oils require a max of 10k kms, but because of the traffic conditions in manila, medyo diminished ang interval requirement from around 10k kms to around 7k kms. pag semi-synth or mineral oil gamit mo, it should be at max of 5k kms. i myself (i use either mineral or semi-synth), change my oil at around 3.8k to 4.2k kms. hindi ko na pinaaabot ng 5k kms.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok thanks. Napagsabihan ko na yung mechanic ko.

What brand of oil would you guys recommend na pang-taxi? (Pang-taxi meaning pang heavy duty and at the same time hindi masyado masakit sa bulsa)

The oil that we use is either the regular oil from Petron or Kwangwoo Parker 'Supreme Gear Oil' SAE 90 (both cost around 90-100 Php per liter). I really have no idea kung OK ba 'to or hindi.

TIA.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gear Oil is different from engine oil bro. SAE 90 usually ang mga gear oil, whereas engine oils as far as I could remember hanggang SAE 50 lang. Try mo lang mga monograde gasoiline oils from petron or shell SAE 40 okay na yan. Pang heavy duty pa. Mineral oil na lang para makatipid.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hi guys,

Question

Has anyone tried testing for acidity/ph their engine oil to find out the maximum usage of their engine oil?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_t View Post
    Hi guys,

Question

Has anyone tried testing for acidity/ph their engine oil to find out the maximum usage of their engine oil?
    Shell used to offer that before... don't know if they are still offering that service for free.

MBT, Glennster & me was able to do the initial review for this service a few years back. AFAIR - MBT has an article here somewhere regarding this.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok thanks. Napagsabihan ko na yung mechanic ko.

What brand of oil would you guys recommend na pang-taxi? (Pang-taxi meaning pang heavy duty and at the same time hindi masyado masakit sa bulsa)

The oil that we use is either the regular oil from Petron or Kwangwoo Parker 'Supreme Gear Oil' SAE 90 (both cost around 90-100 Php per liter). I really have no idea kung OK ba 'to or hindi.

TIA.
    imho, the regular mineral oil will do. for shell, i think it costs around 170/liter.
    also i have used before the regular mineral oil of valvoline (color black yung container, which costs around 140/liter. ubra na yan kung taxi.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; January 3rd, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll just stick to the regular oils offered at the gasoline stations.

New question: Regarding the timing belt, it should be replaced every 80T kms. right? If for heavy-duty or taxi use, would the 80T kms. interval still be applicable? Also, how would one know if we are buying original (Japan) timing belts? I have called up two (2) auto supply shops and they quoted me 450-480 Php for the timing belt. Tama lang ba or is it too cheap to be original? I was expecting kasi somewhere in the 900+ Php area. Btw the name of the brand ng timing belt is Gates.

TIA.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll just stick to the regular oils offered at the gasoline stations.

New question: Regarding the timing belt, it should be replaced every 80T kms. right? If for heavy-duty or taxi use, would the 80T kms. interval still be applicable? Also, how would one know if we are buying original (Japan) timing belts? I have called up two (2) auto supply shops and they quoted me 450-480 Php for the timing belt. Tama lang ba or is it too cheap to be original? I was expecting kasi somewhere in the 900+ Php area. Btw the name of the brand ng timing belt is Gates.

TIA.
    its 80k for regular driven vehicles. for taxis i would recommend to have it changed at around 60k.

a 480 timing belt is a replacement. its too cheap to be an original. to have an idea, the original and oem timing belt for a mitsu lancer is around 1,900.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I'd rather go for the BANDO brand bro. Mga 100 - 200 petot higher pero OEM quality na. Not that i'm downgrading the Gates brand, pero para sa akin mas matibay ang BANDO. Been using this brand for so long na din, never pa ako nadisappoint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tune-up queries (for taxis)