New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sir:

I own a 1999 REVO GLX diesel. It already reads 98,000 kms. I have been advised by toyota to have the timing belt replaced before it reaches 100,000 kms. Is it possible for me to postpone the replacement to 105,000 kms without danger of damaging the engine in case the belt is broken? The manual shows that the timing belt should be changed at 150,000 kms. When should I really replace the timing belt?

I ask since I am currently short of cash and I am about to have my registration renewed. The timing belt pelacement kit costs 13,660 at the casa.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what I would do is open/remove the timing belt cover and visually inspect the timing belt itself.

Look for cracks on the belt, mga tastas sa gilid, missing gear/teeth sa belt. If you see any of the these signs on your belt, it's time to replace. Kung wala pa naman mga ganyang palatandaan, pwede mo pa i-extend by a few thousand kilometers siguro.

Even though the manual says you should change the timing belt at 150K kilometers, the wear and tear of the timing belt is determined by many factors, so it's not really accurate to say that you should only change your timing belt when you hit the 150K kilometer mark.

And if I were you, I'd just buy the timing belt and other components from your suking auto shop and then have the job done at your suking mekanik, any competent mechanic can do that, mas mura pa compared sa Casa.

IMO lang.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I'll have it checked tomorrow.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm.
    if i were you i will not postpone it.
    better change it now and spend some money and change it later and spend lots of money.

artp's correct, there are lots of factors aside from the odo/km reading. the manufacturers may require you to change it at 80000 kms, but in reality, your engine may have travelled more than that because of your time spent in traffic, idling, etc....

visual inspection will do, but its not a guarantee that your belt is still in good condition. when i had my TB changed months back, it still looks good, without the cracks and the tastas sa gilid. but when i examined it, medyo wala ng pliability yung rubber, which also affects the performance of your vehicle. dahil iba na ang tension nya.

on the other parts that needs to be changed while you will be changing TBs like tensioner bearings and water pumps, it will all depend on you. pwedeng hindi mo muna palitan pwedeng palitan mo na.
    you can leave it as it is kung wala ka pang nakikitang symptoms na sira na. like yung sa water pump. pag wala masyadong tulong tubig sa ilalim mo while parked, pwede pa yan. the essence of just doing that is to save of labor costs. kasi pag nagpalit ka ng TB, pag pinapalitan mo na rin ang water pump and tensioner bearing, ang labor cost nyan is isa lang. compared if you change your TB now pay for the cost of labor, tapos after one month, nasira ang water pump mo, so you pay for labor costs again, etc.etc. etc.

hth.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; September 21st, 2006 at 05:15 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wrong section ng forum? mods palipat nalang.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Follow what the manual recommend if you follow all the prescribed maintenance before that. I think, changing your timing belt at that early is premature and the maintenance shop will tell you anything to get you in business

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    hey everyone, just remember that the car manuals given to us by manufacturers were based on countries with good roads, prudent drivers and little traffic.

A good example would be brake fluid. Car manuals vary depending on the manufacturer but let's say you have to have it flushed every 20,000 kms.

The thing is, brake fluid is attracts condensation. Condensation = water contaminates your brake fluid.

Imagine is your car manufacturer is based in Japan, where it is cooler, and the air less humid, no sudden brakes, no dirt on the road. They test the car and make all these recommendations.

Bring the car here in the Philippines: hot and humid = higher condensation, road are a mess and everyone drives like montoya.

you have to take into consideration a lot factors, and it's always cheaper to have anything replaced ahead of schedule, rather than suffering an engine breakdown which could cost you more than double.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    There are three types of maintenance.
    1. repair after failure - self explanatory. Wait until it breaks then fix. Effect more expensive because when parts fail it tends to damage other parts as well. So more things to fix or replace.
    2. preventive maintenance - this is what most people do. they follow manufacturer or dealer reccomendation. this is a good maintenance proceedure that is designed to minimize cost. An example is the 150,000 km replacement interval for your tbelt. The manufacturer expects it to last at least that long. But as mentioned in the above post, it may not be suitable for local conditions.
    3. repair before failure - under this concept, you replace parts before they fail. Similar to preventive manitenance but you are proactive. Ex. replacing the tbelt at 100,000kms together with the water pump and tensioner bearings. Result is peace of mind that your car well cared for, less labor cost in the long run. and if you do it right you can do it as it fits your budget. You don't have breakdowns, you minimize downtime by doing things at the same time when you can afford it.

What you decide is up to you but i would strongly suggest to replace it before it breaks. My opinon only.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    bro if u dont have enough money pa check mo na lang sa trusted mechaninc mo para makita kung may crack. madali lang buksan ang timing belt cover nyan. if not mistaken 2L engine yan, pag naputulan ka ng timing belt laki ng gastos mo..

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    If I were you. I would not delay replacing your timing belts. You might think that you can postpone this expense to save some money, pero pagnaputolan ko nyan habang tumatakbo sasakyan mo, baka mahulog pa yan sa engine overhaul...and that is much more expensive. I do not see how an ocular inspection can be a guarantee.....Donot take your chances!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Timing belt replacement